ORFFA

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Xenomorph, Apr 26, 2012.

1. graeme

graeme Guest

Perhaps the only standard that your score is below average TIB? Well, of the averages that WASP males think of as relevant anyway.

2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from chels on August 14, 2012, 20:37
    Perhaps the only standard that your score is below average TIB? Well, of the averages that WASP males think of as relevant anyway. </blockquote>

I would have no reason to revise my standards; unless there were witnesses ...

3. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Any chance we can get stats on the prices of our teams? Would be intresting!

4. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Fitzy on August 14, 2012, 20:57
    Any chance we can get stats on the prices of our teams? Would be intresting!</blockquote>
    I created an additional SC team that was my squad, I had to fill it with some rookies on the cusp in order to trade in a few at the end, but it's an easy way to monitor your team stats.
    Very possible Walesy has something up his sleeve here that could be used..

5. graeme

graeme Guest

and the going rate for a ladyboy to act as a witness is ?bhat TiB?

6. TerryinBangkok

For ease of reference, here are the basic ORFFL Rules that we need to consider:

TEAMS
    Teams should be named after a remote Australian town/place.
    Squads of 26 players during competition. Cut down to 20 before 2013 Rookie Draft (date TBC). Point 1 we need to consider.
    Playing sides will consist of 15 players. 4 Defenders, 4 Midfielders, 1 Ruck, 4 Forwards and 2 Interchange.
    The Interchange players can be of any position. They score points too.
    3 Emergencies can be selected. Emergencies must be selected in ONE line only.They come in if a player is a late withdrawal.
    You can play someone in the wrong position, ie. Cloke in Defence, but they only get half the points.
    SC points and player positions.
    If you don't field a team, you don't get no points. If you do it again, serious questions will be asked about your commitment to Sparkle Motion Point 2 we need to consider.
    FIXTURE
    Teams will play each other once in the regular season. Play will not occur in the 3 bye rounds (11,12,13). Finals will be held in the final 3 weeks of the season (21,22,23). Points 3 & 4 we need to consider.
    FINALS
    Final 8, knockout style over 3 weeks (R21-23). Point 5 we need to consider. In the first week the Top 3 teams get to choose which team they play in the first week of the finals out of positions 5-8. Eg. 1st gets 1st choice, 2nd gets 2nd choice etc.
    DRAFT
    Draft will be run in snake order ie. Team A gets pick 1 and 36, Team B, picks 2 and 35 and so on.
    After the initial Draft Night, coaches will have 24 hours to take their pick. If they don't pick within the time limit, they will get the player with highest 2012 SC average left. Or coaches can give out lists/preferences in case of that contingency.
    Mid Season Draft will happen in the last Bye Week (R13). Draft will run in reverse ladder order as of the end of R10.
    Mid Season Draft is not compulsory to participate in.
    There is no salary cap. SC dollars do not exist in this universe.
    You cannot draft Jaeger or Crouch yet. No baggsies.
    TRADES
    Mid Season Trade Period will occur during Bye Weeks 1 and 2 (R11 and R12)
    Pre Season Trade Period is actually on right now, but you wouldn't know it. Ends at the conclusion of the NAB Cup GF.
    You can trade picks (to the mid-season draft, not the original one) and players, but it must be to a 1:1 ratio. Eg. Thomas and Pick 4 > Selwood and Golby. This is largely to keep list sizes equal.
    Trading works on the 50&#37; Veto system. If 50&#37; of the non-involved teams veto said trade, trade does not go through. Teams will have roughly 48 hours to veto a trade proposed (eg. If a trade is proposed at 2.15pm on a Tuesday, ORFFL coaches have until 10pm on a Thursday to cast their votes. I'll be checking/ratifying at 10pm, basically). Point 6 we need to consider.
    Propose trades in the "ORFFL Pre Season Trade Table" thread.
    LEAGUE COMPOSITION
    a) Ape the WXV at FF and have an 18 team comp with 15 players on the field (4,4,1,4 +2 Interchange). Play everyone once, exclude the bye rounds and have a 3 round final series ie. final 6.
    b) Keep it at a 10 team comp, with 18 players on the field (5,5,1,5 +2 Interchange). Play everyone twice, exclude the bye rounds and have a 2 round final series ie. final 4
    c) Something else. Maybe with no finals, just points. I'm always open to ideas. Point 7 we need to consider.

Point 1. We have debated the 6 delistings at length. The only consensus seems to be that everyone can delist more than the stipulated number should they so wish. The best I can offer as a merger of the various views is; 4 prior to pre-season draft, 2 more prior to mid-season draft. Numbers maintained at 26 total. Please head any views with Point 1.

Point 2. Again we have discussed this, or rather agonised over this. Views range from the 3 strikes you're out, to draft penalties. We have on the table for consideration at the moment; 1 failure to enter a team without any advice or apology = drop in draft pick x 1. That is, if your pick was 36, it is now 37. 2 failures = 38, etc. Please address your views with Point 2.

Point 3. Think most would be happy with this format, but of course it depends on how many teams we enter the new season with. Abiding view seems to be everyone must play each other at least once. Head views with Point 3 please.

Points 4&5. Consensus seems to be a 3-week finals format or a 4-week (both assume a final 8). Views headed by Point 4 please.

Point 6. Danny di Veto. From memory, ORFFA seems a bit more trusting. How about all trades have to posted for 48 hours and will automatically come into effect after that time provided a minimum of 3 vetos are not posted? Respond with Point 6 please.

Point 7. Will pretty much be determined by how we look come Round 1. But, we should discuss it. Simon actually favours a 16-team comp, but has not expanded on this with respect to squad size, etc. Others seem to favour that we should at least strive to field 18 teams. Views marked as Point 7 please.

Other curly ones:

Point 8. We will have a roster for the Weekly Review, involving all 18 coaches. This will be managed by Chris, who will grab the ball as need be. Bama will post the bare results as usual, 'cause he's good at it. Chris and I can share the Previews. Happy with Point 8?

Point 9. Transfer of franchise. Any new franchise has to be acknowledged by all remaining coaches. So too the withdrawal of any franchise has to be agreed to by all. Probs with Point 9.

Think that's it. Address any or all, but please mark your "Point" replies in bold.

7. graeme

graeme Guest

Point 1. We have debated the 6 delistings at length. The only consensus seems to be that everyone can delist more than the stipulated number should they so wish. The best I can offer as a merger of the various views is; 4 prior to pre-season draft, 2 more prior to mid-season draft. Numbers maintained at 26 total. Please head any views with Point 1.

If I understand this the next draft will be a 2013 draft. I guess the timing would be post-NAB Cup, pre round 1 of the home and away season. Is that correct?

An alternative would be to have an ORFFA draft post the rookie drafts. Followed by a post-NAB Cup, pre round 1 of the home and away season draft. One benefit of this would be to have a focus for a sustained bout of camaraderie in the long period between now and the start of the 2013 home and away season. Thoughts?

If that is correct, then players available to be drafted will be anyone on an AFL club list who is not secured by an ORFFA franchise. There would be no onus to draft rookies, one could go for mature age players. Again, is that the approach we all perceive?

Sorry if I am being pedantic.

8. Hey guys, just throwing it out there, but the Mawson Base team are welcome to come and train with Queenstown in the 2013 season if new managers aren't found and X remains MIA.

We would only be happy with this arrangement for one season in the hope that X returns, and as such we would make minimal changes to the list. If this did occur then the coaching/management position would be advertised during the 2013 season.

I should also point out that this is not a request, more an offer of support if no other volunteers are found to help the ORFFA through these troubling times.

9. snoz

snoz Moderator

Point 10
    Is this the first post of the new commish?

10. Len

imho
    Point 1I would like to see 2 at compulsory delistings for the end of season draft, and 2 or 3 for the preseason one, see point 5a for an explanation. Agree with the ORFFL on the 26 player and other key structural elements.
    Point 2 We buddy up, give our password to another manager (I have already done this) and catch each other's back, ergo hopefully no penalties required.
    Points 3, 4 & 5 In these structural elements as with almost all of a similar ilk I feel we should mirror the ORFFL, not because they are awesome, though they may well be, but because being structured the same allows for many possible future interactions.
    Point 5a The ORFFL have no rules for the opening of the preseason draft, only the conclusion, for mine I would like a mini draft after the 2012 rookie draft, run for a month or so and then another starting Week 2 NAB cup and completing on the day/night of the NAB Cup GF. Primary reason for suggesting this, and happy to have it amended for practical purposes, is to extend/increase involvement during the off season.
    Point 6 Agree with Terry's proposal.
    Point 7 See my thoughts on points 3,4 5.

Point 8 Happy

Point 9 No probs

11. TerryinBangkok

<blockquote>Quote from BlueBeliever on September 5, 2012, 19:43
    Hey guys, just throwing it out there, but the Mawson Base team are welcome to come and train with Queenstown in the 2013 season if new managers aren't found and X remains MIA.

We would only be happy with this arrangement for one season in the hope that X returns, and as such we would make minimal changes to the list. If this did occur then the coaching/management position would be advertised during the 2013 season.

I should also point out that this is not a request, more an offer of support if no other volunteers are found to help the ORFFA through these troubling times.</blockquote>

Troubling times? These are not troubling times. This is fun!!!!!

So, betwixt bashing the books and illuminating us all with Best Buys you would like to dip a toe in the ORFFA? Not concerned certain sectors of the ORFFL might frown upon such fraternisation?

Hmmmm. Actually the same thought had crossed my mind BB, that is that someone temporarily nurse the Penguins through the season until a suitable owner can be found. Much better though if that someone was from outside the ORFFA itself and was competitive and experienced. So, I am strongly in favour of the idea and thank you for it. However, I am only me and haven't been erected yet, so will have to ask the lads.

12. TerryinBangkok

<blockquote>Quote from Simonoz on September 5, 2012, 20:31
    Point 10
    Is this the first post of the new commish?</blockquote>

Any new Commish will need to be walsey sanctified. Nope, from 17-24 September I will be in the Philippines saying farewell to a soon to be departed mate. One of chels mob. It will be in the town of Roxas on Panay Island and I do not expect to have access to the netz, so as Deputy Commish am just upping the schedule a little so y'all can have plenty of time to chew on this stuff, hoping that on my return there will be some threads I can pick up. I expect you to maintain your finger on the button in my absence.

13. snoz

snoz Moderator

Sanctified, schmanctified......if you are what you eat, then you are what you portray.....and you TiBby are showing all the signs of a Roger Goodell (nfl commish)

:)

As for Sept 17 in the Philippines, sorry mate, its never easy.....try to enjoy your time there.

14. snoz

snoz Moderator

I'd take BB as a perm member of ORFFA in a heartbeat, not just a caretaker. He gives a shit....and thats all that matters to me.

I highly doubt there is a cosmic rule that an ORFFL coach cannot also coach in the ORFFA.

Vote +1 for BB to take over at Mawson.

15. Len

<blockquote>Quote from Simonoz on September 5, 2012, 22:56
    I'd take BB as a perm member of ORFFA in a heartbeat, not just a caretaker. He gives a shit....and thats all that matters to me.

I highly doubt there is a cosmic rule that an ORFFL coach cannot also coach in the ORFFA.

Vote +1 for BB to take over at Mawson.</blockquote>
    I think a perm role is unsuitable, primarily because I can see a future with inter league competitions playoffs etc and a coach in both is a man fighting himself one day.
    Totally happy with a qualified and interested babysitter though :)

16. bama

bama Active Member

Happy for BB to take on the Penguins.

Happy also to continue providing the weekly results next year, but by doing this I would like permission to refrain from writing weekly reports.

17. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Point 1. I like the 4 and 2 TiB suggested.. list management is not meant to be easy. It is meant to be challenging and sometimes put coaches in a very difficult position. Happy for people to delist more than that should they so wish, but I think the starting position should be quite harsh. You can always re-draft, and it will make the draft a little bit more than just picking over scraps. Also, if you are being forced to de-list, it should encourage more trading ie: be in charge of your own destiny in who gets your player and who you get i return for them.

Point 2. FIne with it as TiB stated

Point 3, 4 and 5 agree with Len here... lets try and align to ORFFL. I would however like to see point 5a given consideration

Point 6. Trades come into effect automatically after 48 hours provided no more than 3 vetoes works

Point 7. Strongly prefer an 18 man comp... after all we are trying to replicate the real thing yeah?

Point 8. I'm fine with the weekly roster. Should anyone not wish to do so can have a roster of the people happy to contribute.

18. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Point 1. I think 4 / 2 is a good number, slightly more slack than ORFFL but still making managers make some choices (unless you are me and have guys like Surjan, Lycett and Morabito! - gonski)

Point 2. I have some reservations about harsh enforcement of this on everyone. I would hope if I simply forgot one week due to lifes challenges I wouldnt lose a draft slot. I guess this is where apologies and 'past conduct' come into it and the commish can enforce as he sees fit dictator style.

Point 3,4,5 Happy with this structure.

Point 6. When you trust managers then these things should never be needed. A manager can do what he wants with his team IMO. I think there needs to be some thought about new guys coming in and getting raped and thats where you need the veto system to intervene. Happy with the 48 hour / 3 vetos rule.

Point 7. Dont see any real reason to cut the teams down to 16 unless Snoz can convince us otherwise? :)

Point 8. Sorry can you clarify this? So when I post my team I also CC it to Chris?

Point 9. Yes all coaches should have a chance to have a say on new franchises as well as possible franchise delistings.

Also happy if BB wants to help out the Penguins until (if) we here from X again. Not sure if inter comp games is in the forseeable future so dont see any issues with him being in both comps.

19. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Firstly I'm not sure if you would rather BB or a new coach, I'm just gonna throw out there that I got 2 mates intrested in being an ORFFA coach, but I understand if you would rather BB be the coach than one of them. One of them would definitely be active here!

Point 1. I think 3 seems to be a good number, the AFL teams have to get rid of at least 3, but I'm happy with anything really.
    Point 2 I think its the Commish's call, as others have said it depends on there past 'form' and apoligies etc...
    Point 3,4,5 Same as most here, agree with Len
    Point 6 Sound good!
    Point 7 Think 17 teams would be ideal, so we don't have to play bye rounds and can have 4 week final series similar to AFL/Supercoach, or 18 teams and a 3 week system
    Point 8 Rather not write a review but if it comes with the job of being an ORFFA coach I will do it!
    Point 9 All coaches should have a chance to agree/disagree with the idea of a new franchise.

20. snoz

snoz Moderator

As stated, BB is welcome with open arms...

1. Agree with 4/2 delistings, with no limits. Keeper Leagues are supposed to be tough with delistings.
    2. I still say 3 strikes you're out (I say this if the coach hasnt surfaced with an explanation). It it too harsh? Maybe...but if we cant ask 30 secs a week of you to enter a team then whats the point? Not sure if the sliding penalty scale is enough really for the absent minded...perhaps each missed team is 5 spots in the draft or something of that ilk.
    3.4.5....Happy with whatever is arranged. Finals a must, if logistically we cant all play each other in one season then no biggie.
    6. Yepper.....48 hrs, even 72 hrs if you like for trade vetoes.
    7. I have no clue why I proferred a 16 team league...maybe booze induced, who knows :)
    8. yepper
    9. yepper