ORFFA

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Xenomorph, Apr 26, 2012.

1. J_C

J_C Guest

Nothing too different to what's already been said.

1. Happy with mandatory 4 & 2 delistings, and more if that's a coach's preference. As already mentioned, delistings are supposed to be tough and require some decision making from a coach.
    2. Similar sentiments to Jimbo
    3/4/5. Sounds good.
    6. 48 hours should be fine.
    7. Agree with Terry that 18 teams should be the goal.
    8. No problems with a roster for that
    9. Agree.

2. J_C

J_C Guest

I see that the calendar says there's some voting next week and the start of the trade period as well. I'll be holidaying with the family so I won't be here much, if at all. If we want more votes then I'm happy to ask someone to vote on my behalf.

As for trade week, I guess I'll just see what's about or on offer when I get back. I should only be gone for a week so if anyone wants to discuss a trade for one of my players, I'll be around in week 2 of the trade period. I'll do my best to post the 'untouchables' etc on my team page over the weekend.

3. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Jolcon on September 7, 2012, 22:58
    I see that the calendar says there's some voting next week and the start of the trade period as well. I'll be holidaying with the family so I won't be here much, if at all. If we want more votes then I'm happy to ask someone to vote on my behalf.

As for trade week, I guess I'll just see what's about or on offer when I get back. I should only be gone for a week so if anyone wants to discuss a trade for one of my players, I'll be around in week 2 of the trade period. I'll do my best to post the 'untouchables' etc on my team page over the weekend.
    </blockquote>

One of life's early lessons is that if you absent yourself from voting you often get shafted into something you didn't want. So be it. Was almost tempted to do it to Fitzy when he went off to camp, but thought better of it. Not this time though.

4. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Out of intrest, what would I have been shafted into?

5. J_C

J_C Guest

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on September 9, 2012, 19:49

One of life's early lessons is that if you absent yourself from voting you often get shafted into something you didn't want. So be it. Was almost tempted to do it to Fitzy when he went off to camp, but thought better of it. Not this time though.</blockquote>

I assume this is what you were referring to Terry?

<blockquote>Assistant Commissioner: Jolcon </blockquote>

:)

6. TerryinBangkok

Like a needle in the bum.

7. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Terry, can I please get clarification on the intended meaning of the 4 and 2 minimum compulsory delistings.
    (Assuming this ends up being the ruling, it does appear to be the agreed option in most parts)

Is it that we draft 4 and 2, or delist 4 and 2?
    ie
    Is it possible to arrive at the delist deadline, having traded a player for a draft pick, delist 3 and still be within the intended scope of the rules?

8. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Good question

9. TerryinBangkok

<blockquote>Quote from Lenh191 on September 13, 2012, 12:43
    Terry, can I please get clarification on the intended meaning of the 4 and 2 minimum compulsory delistings.
    (Assuming this ends up being the ruling, it does appear to be the agreed option in most parts)

ie
    Is it possible to arrive at the delist deadline, having traded a player for a draft pick, delist 3 and still be within the intended scope of the rules?</blockquote>

Len (you are a joy). The overriding principle is squads of 26 players. I take this to mean that you must have 26 during any given competition round. The reason we delist is in order to draft. Using this as the intended meaning, holding a draft pick [for the next forthcoming draft] out of competition rounds is the same as holding a player. Sometimes players under the hammer of delisting are picked up by other coaches for a trade or draft pick, so effectively it is the same as delisting one and picking up one. My interpretation is that you would currently have a squad of 25 plus a draft pick, thereby having effectively delisted one player. Although I brace my back for the avalanche of protest that may come out of the ether. Or perhaps I'm getting a bit gun shy?

As for your question, it is both. You have to delist 4 and you have to draft (recruit, trade, whatever) 4. Squad of 26 is the rule. You cannot, for example, trade now for draft picks in the forthcoming mid-season draft. Only the pre-season and the pick # must be known.

10. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

I think it is that at end of season we delist 4, and mid year we delist 2.

I think.

11. Len

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on September 13, 2012, 16:22
    <blockquote>Quote from Lenh191 on September 13, 2012, 12:43

ie
    Is it possible to arrive at the delist deadline, having traded a player for a draft pick, delist 3 and still be within the intended scope of the rules?</blockquote>

Len (you are a joy). The overriding principle is squads of 26 players. I take this to mean that you must have 26 during any given competition round. The reason we delist is in order to draft. Using this as the intended meaning, holding a draft pick [for the next forthcoming draft] out of competition rounds is the same as holding a player. Sometimes players under the hammer of delisting are picked up by other coaches for a trade or draft pick, so effectively it is the same as delisting one and picking up one. My interpretation is that you would currently have a squad of 25 plus a draft pick, thereby having effectively delisted one player. Although I brace my back for the avalanche of protest that may come out of the ether. Or perhaps I'm getting a bit gun shy?

As for your question, it is both. You have to delist 4 and you have to draft (recruit, trade, whatever) 4. Squad of 26 is the rule. You cannot, for example, trade now for draft picks in the forthcoming mid-season draft. Only the pre-season and the pick # must be known. </blockquote>

Good, I think we are agreeing, but to be clear, I can now trade a player out for a pre-season draft pick only, when we get to the draft I only have to delist another 3 and draft in 4?

My mother thinks I'm special..

12. TerryinBangkok

If I could divine whether people are coming, going or stuck firmly to that fence, I might be in a position to offer your mother a franchise in our little league of happy coaches.

13. graeme

graeme Guest

I would like clarification too Len. My interpretation of the "Rule of 26" is that if you trade out 2 players in a trade you must take 2 players back in the trade. Thus maintaining your 26 players.

To get draft picks you must delist players. I have objected to a trade between bama and Fitzy in the ORFFA: End of year trading block thread on that basis.

14. In the ORFFL I believe, I may also be wrong though as my memory isn't the best these days, you must de-list 6 no matter what trades you have made. The whole point of the de-listments is to increase the pool of players for the draft, so if trades were included as de-listments you could not have to add anyone to the draft pool in theory.

15. graeme

graeme Guest

A potential problem with my objection to bama and Fitzy's proposed "trade" could be that bama is the Trade Commissioner.

That might open up a fine can of worms!

16. And also to that chels in ORFFL you can still trade for draft picks, to get better ones for example, but will have to still de-list 6 players before the draft.

You don't have to trade equal 2 for 2 necessarily, but must de-list at least six and draft your team back up to 26 by the end of the draft period.

Again I may also be corrected on this

17. G-Train

G-Train Member

Can I have a summary of key dates sorry?

18. Len

Page 1, 2nd post on the Calendar of forthcoming ORFFA Events thread :)

19. G-Train

G-Train Member

20. grav

grav Guest

In hindsight, maybe this is the best place to post this.....

Hi Lads,
    As the new kid on the block, I have been trying to get my head around the some of the intracacies relating to trading rules and delistment rules.
    I appreciate that there has been extensive discussion recently relating to trading and delisting but I was wondering if someone (in the absence of TiB) could clarify a few points for me.

I read that in early Sept there was voting on a change to a 4/2 delistment rule, consensus seemed to be in favour of this, has this rule now been adopted?

If it is adopted, is 4 a fixed number (i.e. 4 only prior to pre season draft, no more no less)?

Is the pre season draft purely a rookie draft (i.e. only can draft newly signed AFL players coming into system late 2012)?

Confirming end of season trade rules, I read in TiB's ORFFA post on Sept 5th that trades need to be on a one for one basis (i.e. Player X for Player Y or Player X for a pre season draft pick). Is this how everyone understands it?

Also, TiB posted on Sept 13th that if a Player is traded for a draft pick that effectively this equates to delisting a player so only a further 3 would need to be delisted prior to the draft. Correct?

Sorry if this sounds like trolling over old ground, hopefully someone is willing to shed some light

Thanks