Orffan rmt ?

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Simonoz, Feb 22, 2014.

1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Simon (and Len). I guess it comes down to being so bored with cookie cutter teams and wanting to do something different. Ablett and Pendles ARE expensive - not suggesting they will get cheaper, but noticed from BB's BB last year, the 'perfect storm' arose on at least one occasion during the season to snap them up. Don't doubt your tentacles into the Pies, but willing to bet Scharenberg will get a crack at some stage this year, particularly with Heater gone and Collingwood struggling a bit - he's too good. On Polec; I will suggest that Port will not make the 8 this year. The rise of Norf, Wet Toast and (heaven help us) Adelaide will just make it too tough. So it is really too early to make a call on Polec. If he is named R1, the coach will likely give him 4-6 games before making a decision. I know it takes several years for the Hun to reach Manhattan, so here is what they had to say about your choices of Suckling and Mitchell: <p style='text-align: justify;]MATT SUCKLING (HAW) $312,200 DEF <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Jon Ralph: [span style='color: #c00000;]TICK. Does he actually kick it as well as we all think? Can still turn it over despite the long supergoals and dinky kicks around the corner. But at this price you have to have him. He's going to slot in as the Guerra replacement. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Sam Edmund: [span style='color: #00b050;]QUESTION MARK. Would like to see a bit more, to be honest. If he gets back to 2011 and 2012 form he is a no-brainer at this price, but there is a risk. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]John Bruyn: [span style='color: #c00000;]TICK. If he's playing Round 1, he's in my team. Can't ignore at his price in defence. Get him in. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Jay To: [span style='color: #c00000;]TICK. Good value and could be become a premium or play the role of a stepping stone to a premium. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Lauren Wood: [span style='color: #c00000;]TICK. Like that he's the Hawks' go-to man given his efficiency is always high. Will hopefully average in the high 90s so should provide consistent value. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Al Paton: [span style='color: #c00000;]TICK. Will frustrate at times but a certainty to go up in value. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Sam Landsberger: [span style='color: #c00000;]TICK. The defensive options are thin this year, so when a bloke who averaged 91 and 83 in his last two fit seasons bobs up cheaper than Simon White, you take him. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Gilbert Gardiner: [span style='color: #c00000;]TICK. Hard to toss at this price, Suckling, who will only get better with more games under his belt, is a must-have in defence. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Jock Reynolds: [span style='color: #00b050;]QUESTION MARK. I don't see him as a keeper. If he maintains his 2012 average of 83 he will slowly appreciate, making you around $100,000 in the first eight rounds. A popular pick that could be a key non-selection point of difference. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]
    <p style='text-align: justify;] <p style='text-align: justify;] <p style='text-align: justify;]TOM MITCHELL (SYD) $464,800 MID/FWD <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Jon Ralph: [span style='color: #c00000;]TICK. His dual-position status probably gets him over the line. The secret to SuperCoach is getting blokes with an upside. He fits the ball. Racks it up and kicks goals. Tick, tick. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Sam Edmund: [span style='color: #c00000;]BIG TICK: Scores 152 against GWS in a full-strength Swans midfield and is dual position? Lock him and throw away the key. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]John Bruyn: [span style='color: #7030a0;]CROSS. Absolute star in the making but at this price I prefer others. Has only played 12 games and will get more opposition attention in 2014. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Jay To: [span style='color: #00b050;]QUESTION MARK. While Mitchell was very impressive in the NAB Challenge game with 34 possessions and 152 SuperCoach points, remember it was against GWS. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Lauren Wood: [span style='color: #c00000;]TICK. Comes in at a great price and is living up to the hype, as he showed by blitzing GWS in the NAB Challenge. Another with the DPP bonus who has the ability to deliver some very big scores. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Al Paton: [span style='color: #c00000;]TICK. Could be walking straight into a second-year trap but the kid is a ball-winning freak. Couldn't justify picking him in the midfield but up forward he's worth the risk. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Sam Landsberger: [span style='color: #7030a0;]CROSS. Sorry, Tommy, but no player is worth nearly half a mill after 14 games. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Gilbert Gardiner: [span style='color: #7030a0;]CROSS. Too rich for my blood. Spend an extra $30k and you've got Dayne Beams. I know which one I'd take. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]Jock Reynolds: [span style='color: #00b050;]QUESTION MARK. A serious point-scoring machine who will turn 21 as a second-year player. An off-season ankle operation on the back of some similar issues in 2012 have me cautious. <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]
    <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;] <p style='margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]As we used to say in the tea tree scrub, the ticks have it.
    <p style='margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; text-align: justify;]

2. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Really no sure on that 3rd/4th forward at the moment. For me it is out of Pavlich, Mitchell or Gunston. Currently I have Pavlich and Gunston in my squad, any opinions on if you had to choose 2 of the 3 who that would be? Suckling is a lock at his price. Worst case IMO he spuds weeks 1 and 2 and you can downgrade him into the D rookie you missed.

3. jimbowan

A bit more; Like the D. Swallow in D choice, a little wary myself, but he is on my watchlist Martin and Tyson a little rich for me in the mid rookies. Will look elsewhere unless they blow it up in final NAB games. Not sold on Grundy, although I have no doubt on his long term potential. Just not this year. Luke McDonald a lock? Although I would have him in the MIDS for DPP Dont like H. Shaw this year out at GWS, will cop the fwd tag Like Callan Ward as a POD but, will he be a top 10 mid? Zorko burned me last year. Not sure I trust him. I love Terry's midfield, a little ballsy for me but I like it! But ... Grigg? really? Not sold on Dixon.... JIMBOS JUGGERNAUT (all rookies are temp) Bartel, McVeigh, Mitchell, K.Simpson, Suckling, Fuller (Clurey,Cutler) Ablett, Jack, JPK, Murphy, Beams, McDonald, Sheed, Ellis (Hartung, Honeychurch) NicNat, Sandilands (Thurlow, King) Danger, Franklin, Gunston, Pavlich, Kennedy-Harris, Impey (Towers, Taylor) 9,600 left.

4. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

jimbowan wrote:
    A bit more; Like the D. Swallow in D choice, a little wary myself, but he is on my watchlist Martin and Tyson a little rich for me in the mid rookies. Will look elsewhere unless they blow it up in final NAB games. Not sold on Grundy, although I have no doubt on his long term potential. Just not this year. Luke McDonald a lock? Although I would have him in the MIDS for DPP Dont like H. Shaw this year out at GWS, will cop the fwd tag Like Callan Ward as a POD but, will he be a top 10 mid? Zorko burned me last year. Not sure I trust him. I love Terry's midfield, a little ballsy for me but I like it! But ... Grigg? really? Not sold on Dixon.... JIMBOS JUGGERNAUT (all rookies are temp) Bartel, McVeigh, Mitchell, K.Simpson, Suckling, Fuller (Clurey,Cutler) Ablett, Jack, JPK, Murphy, Beams, McDonald, Sheed, Ellis (Hartung, Honeychurch) NicNat, Sandilands (Thurlow, King) Danger, Franklin, Gunston, Pavlich, Kennedy-Harris, Impey (Towers, Taylor) 9,600 left. I still can't buy into McVeigh, ageing player in a waning team, I see a Goodes type drop for him imminent, but plenty disagree, tick on the rest of the def. Assuming D Beams? Mids tick, assuming rookies get sorted later, I think we are all in that boat.. I'm not going near NicNat, he hasn't played pre-season yet and the club has him in doubt for R1. Fwds tick Nice team, but I'd definitely move in the ruck..

5. TerryinBangkok

Eat a Snickers Len. Better?

6. Len

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    Eat a Snickers Len. Better? We diabetics prefer Chivas ;)

7. jimbowan

Agree about NicNat I had him in more out of hope he will be fit tbh he will be removed soon likely for McEvoy or Maric I reckon. McVeigh I disagree with you :) Being 28 is hardly 'aging', also Sydney a 'waning team' is a big call, I feel the opposite and have loaded up with their best players. McVeigh over the last 4 years, you cant get more consistent. Wasn't an option as a mid due to the elites above him, but as a defender is a total lock IMO; Only missed 4 games in 4 years. Never averaged under 93.8 <table width='298' border='0' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' style='background-color: #ffffff;] <tr bgcolor='#ffffff] <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 100px; height: 17px;]2010 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]22 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]93.8
    <tr bgcolor='#f2f4f7] <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 100px; height: 17px;]2011 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]20 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]93.8
    <tr bgcolor='#cbcdd0] <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 100px; height: 17px;]2012 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]22 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]98.3
    <tr bgcolor='#f2f4f7] <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 100px; height: 17px;]2013 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]22 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]106.1

8. Len

jimbowan wrote:
    Agree about NicNat I had him in more out of hope he will be fit tbh he will be removed soon likely for McEvoy or Maric I reckon. McVeigh I disagree with you :) Being 28 is hardly 'aging', also Sydney a 'waning team' is a big call, I feel the opposite and have loaded up with their best players. McVeigh over the last 4 years, you cant get more consistent. Wasn't an option as a mid due to the elites above him, but as a defender is a total lock IMO; Only missed 4 games in 4 years. Never averaged under 93.8 <table width='298' border='0' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' style='background-color: #ffffff;] <tr bgcolor='#ffffff] <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 100px; height: 17px;]2010 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]22 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]93.8
    <tr bgcolor='#f2f4f7] <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 100px; height: 17px;]2011 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]20 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]93.8
    <tr bgcolor='#cbcdd0] <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 100px; height: 17px;]2012 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]22 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]98.3
    <tr bgcolor='#f2f4f7] <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 100px; height: 17px;]2013 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]22 <td align='center' style='text-align: left; width: 99px;]106.1
    Cant argue the logic Jim, the Swans have performed above themselves for 9 or 10 years now, history suggests they can't stay there for much longer though. For mine your side would be more intimidating with McDonald in McVeighs spot and Fyfe or Cotchin in your mids though..

9. snoz

snoz Moderator

McVeigh......have read a ton on this bloke, keeptrying to take him out of my squad but just cant see better. Tib.....scharenfoot is out till mid season at least (surgery) so he will be a great downgrade. And now after the Port/Ess game......everyone jumps on Jared. Sad face. JB.....the Rucks killme this year. But Maric is out, surgery.....NN out.....who knows where. McEvoy looks good. Len, you really think Hickey can hold down that spot & score for us? Is Cox a chance ?

10. Len

Simonoz wrote:
    McVeigh......have read a ton on this bloke, keeptrying to take him out of my squad but just cant see better. Tib.....scharenfoot is out till mid season at least (surgery) so he will be a great downgrade. And now after the Port/Ess game......everyone jumps on Jared. Sad face. JB.....the Rucks killme this year. But Maric is out, surgery.....NN out.....who knows where. McEvoy looks good. Len, you really think Hickey can hold down that spot & score for us? Is Cox a chance ? 3 weeks ago I would have said no way mate, but he has shown plenty so far, Richardson has clearly given him the jumper to lose right now, I think he will be rested at some stage, but the other options at the price are eve more dodgy. Right now I don't want to move much on any other line & I can't see anyone within 145k plus Hickey that's less risk.

11. TerryinBangkok

Simonoz wrote:
    McVeigh......have read a ton on this bloke, keeptrying to take him out of my squad but just cant see better. Tib.....scharenfoot is out till mid season at least (surgery) so he will be a great downgrade. And now after the Port/Ess game......everyone jumps on Jared. Sad face. JB.....the Rucks killme this year. But Maric is out, surgery.....NN out.....who knows where. McEvoy looks good. Len, you really think Hickey can hold down that spot & score for us? Is Cox a chance ? I concede Simon. Based on all the evidence displayed so far, one would be silly not to take Polec. He will likely be up to bat R1 and will get a minimum of 6 games. His potential for adding 200k would have to be higher than the new high priced rookies. And now Mr. Sandifoot seems to have resolved your ruck conundrum. The only ? on McVeigh is durability. He and Mitchell likely to score marginally better than Arbtel and Hanley in DT. Thanks for the tip on Scharen - don't know how his injury escaped me. Must have better newspapers in New York.

12. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    Simonoz wrote:
    McVeigh......have read a ton on this bloke, keeptrying to take him out of my squad but just cant see better. Tib.....scharenfoot is out till mid season at least (surgery) so he will be a great downgrade. And now after the Port/Ess game......everyone jumps on Jared. Sad face. JB.....the Rucks killme this year. But Maric is out, surgery.....NN out.....who knows where. McEvoy looks good. Len, you really think Hickey can hold down that spot & score for us? Is Cox a chance ? I concede Simon. Based on all the evidence displayed so far, one would be silly not to take Polec. He will likely be up to bat R1 and will get a minimum of 6 games. His potential for adding 200k would have to be higher than the new high priced rookies. And now Mr. Sandifoot seems to have resolved your ruck conundrum. The only ? on McVeigh is durability. He and Mitchell likely to score marginally better than Arbtel and Hanley in DT. Thanks for the tip on Scharen - don't know how his injury escaped me. Must have better newspapers in New York. Just want to add my 2c on Mitchell in DT. Not TRDT, but for AFL Fantasy, I will not be starting with Sammy Mitchell. I suspect his price may drop after a few rounds, due to hard tags early in season and with so many trades available in AFL Fantasy, I will be bringing him in early after his expected price drop. Im mainly thinking about Crowley in Round 3.

13. snoz

snoz Moderator

With Rohan's ownership up in the 35% mark, and Suckers is at a whopping 40%...........is it wise to un cookie cutter ? Both are speculative picks......by a ton of people and maybe for good reason. But still spec picks nonetheless. I'm abig fan of Jimmy Webster (stk)......and he costs about 70k less than Suckers. Webster has played very well this pre season, no better or worse than Suckers. By switching these two, I could move Rohan to the bench as I think he will be a very long slow burn, and not someone you want on the field........and up one of the bench Fwd rooks, who I have no faith in......Lloyd/jkh/kersten......to say a Ben Kennedy from the Pies, who has had a great preseason, and slot him into the F6 role. Backs become: Mitchell/McVeigh/Hanley/Swallow/Webster/McDonald (Langford/George) Forwards are: Danger/wingard/tmitch/hale*/caddy/kennedy (rohan/jkh) (*Denotes allowing me tosleep at night with Hickey/Sandi in the Rucks)

14. G-Train

G-Train Member

What are peoples thoughts on Matthew Lobbe, Ruck, Port Adelaide? Charged around like a raging bull late last season, but teams may cotton on to him a bit now. I haven't slotted him in my team this off season, but I see his name bandied around quite a bit.

15. snoz

snoz Moderator

Rap.....there are a ton of people hitching their wagon to Lobbe this year. Right now, me included.....at least for the next few days. Personally I think its by default. Yep....he could do great. But I think its more that those 100k above have big question marks & those 100k below (except Sandi) have question marks. TiB wrote a great article on the Blog 1-2 days ago that breaks down the whole....Rockunumdrum !!

16. TerryinBangkok

Grateful Simon. In so doing I realised that between Big Will and the next Dog's ruckman there is wind. I now have Lobbe. Port have a history in the ruck, when you think Primus, Lade, etc. all who went on to coach. This means the youngsters like Lobbe and Redden have had top mentors and it is starting to show. Brendon Lade I rate a gnat's foreskin behind Polly Farmer. Deplorably under-rated, he could tap it down Bear's trousers and he would not even notice.

17. G-Train

G-Train Member

18. G-Train

G-Train Member

My doggies supporter pal thinks they will rotate 3 rucks every game... Will, Cordy and Campbell, with big Will handling the majority, Campbell starting forward and Cordy on the bench.

19. TerryinBangkok

He is likely right Raptor. As Jason (Dogs) says, someone must also ruck in the VFL. My point, if any, is that there is a big difference between what AFL teams actually do and how it is translated in SC. This is a case in point. An apprentice ruck at the Dogs, and classified by SC as such, would be gold as he/she would be assured of some game time. Have not spotted too many ORFFANS helping out on RMT. /Portals/0/User%20Images/Queen.jpg Phil the Greek obviously is, but WE ARE NOT AMUSED!

20. Len

I'm not very good with concept Terry, I don't feel I should argue strategy, though happy to point out missed injuries etc. Most people there put up pretty good sides and whilst I might disagree with their strategy it doesn't make me right. I do keep checking but haven't had much to say ;)