ORFFF League Setup, rules and key dates discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by TheTassieHawk, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Absolutely, but someone has to actually keep the league records, the site doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jamabadar

jamabadar Moderator

I Thought the idea of a keeper league was not to have 24/7 trades but to manage your list as best you can till MSD, with that being said i now have a couple of questions.

1. When we are talking about trading 24/7 is that between teams only or does it include delisting and picking from the pool of non drafted players.

2. MSD means what only between teams or delisting and picking from the pool and if so how many can you delist.

3. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

As I understand it:
    1. 24/7 trading would involve only the 30 man squads at your disposal.
    2. You only participate in the MSD, if you have less than 30 players in your squad, from trading or de-listing. The players available to be drafted into your team, come from the pool of free agents.....

4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

[QUOTE="TheTassieHawk, post: 165065, member: 15852"
    ... and wasn't in either the ORFFL or ORFFA rules ...[/QUOTE]
    The ORFFA has rules? First i knew of that lol

5. Len

The ORFFA has rules? First i knew of that lol[/QUOTE]

We call them guidelines I think :p

6. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Not to mention the headache for @walesy having to change squads in TSleagues if/when he gets it back up and working

7. anthak

We did it ourselves in the old site. Not sure how it would work with this one...

8. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, your admin will still be in control. :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. anthak

I stuffed up those quotations somehow...

Yeah, I reckon we do a pretty good job of making it up as we go along. theres always someone that remembers a precedent that guides us along with each issue that comes up.

But yeah, we dont have any rules written anywhere, except in some form i suppose all over the place in old threads here and there for each decision we've made along the way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. anthak

Just reposting this here, because I had already provided my views on the ORFFF rules in relation to the ORFFU template

Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

11. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

From experience it's very unlikely to get 50% of the group (8-9) online within 24 hours to check a trade. Which is why the ORFFL revised it to 5 (i think 5). Fwiw we haven't had a veto since the change, though there were definitely at least 1-2 trades that deserved it.

My 2c's on things:

Trading future picks should be for only 2 drafts in the future. Example: For the upcoming MSD draft that would mean only 2016 MSD draft and 2017 PS draft picks would be on the board. Don't think there's a need to go further into the future and could create more problems if we do.

In the camp for no 24/7 trading. We don't have a waiver wire like other leagues, and as a dynasty league I agree with others where the the focus on list management at specific times, ie the drafts and let the season be the focus once it starts. By all means, extend the pre-season trade period if you want to but I don't think a constant trade period once the season starts will be beneficial.

Also no league, real or fantasy has absolutely no trade deadline for very obvious reasons. You don't want friend or finals teams being impacted by collusion and exceedingly one-sided drafts.

• Like Like x 2
  12. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Going through both the rules and Ant's comments:

1h - "I would like to think people will want to submit teams for other reasons anyway." doesn't make sense. This rule is about people not submitting teams each week. What are you talking about? As it is this is likely going to have to be considered since we will have to do it all manually until the site is fully 100% running, where once it is, we will have the choice of choosing whether we want teams rolling over to the next week or not.

2b - Happy with rolling lockouts for Thursday matches and split rounds.
    2f - does it really? lockout would be on the first match played after Thursday.
    2g/h - dont think we need to do reviews? Depends on what's happening I guess. Personally prefer not do anything because will be concentrating on other leagues during those time and not the only coach with 2 teams on site.

3b - finals should either be by choice or fixed by positions. Also H&A tiebreakers should be sorted first by total points, rather than percentage.

4 - no trading during drafts at all would be my preference. Trading should have simple windows. Pre-Season pre-draft, mid-season pre-draft, potential draft period post-season. For overall balance 1 for 1 trading should happen, though do note 'FL and 'FU allowed 2for1's etc which does catch some people out when they have to delist more players to get back down to minimum playing squads (20).

5. Segue from point 4: Should be clarified beforehand for people that it's squads down to 20 before the draft, so if you get 27 players, that would mean 7 delists needed. If it's just 6 squad changed needed, then that would need to be set up as a rule.

6. All auto-picks based on most recent season average. No need to complicate it or add more stipulations. It's an auto pick because people missed a deadline, it shouldn't need to try and reward coaches with best players possible. You miss, you run the risk of the auto pick. Any time limit, like 12hrs to pick, should be added that the time limit doesn't count between 12am-8am for obvious reasons.

7. Already discussed. Probably something related to activity. if we don't hear from people and they just set up a team round 1 and it's already round 10 with no change, that's a bit annoying. Don't need anything too overt.

8. Commissioner status or how we're dealing with running the league is important too and should be decided.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

hi all, I have read through the above and made some draft updates

I want a day or so to reflect on that draft then will post something here for everyone to thumbs up or otherwise

14. anthak

Hi all, regarding the autopick during drafts, lets make some decisions on it moving forward.

We need to decide how long the cutoff is, and which player is autopicked.

Here's some proposals from the draft banter thread:

My preference is, and I propose, that we go with TTH's suggestions above regarding which player gets selected, and that we have a 10 hour limit for each pick (to avoid any doubt, this is 10 hours at any time of the day or night).

If you support this proposal, please just like this post.
    If you are not in favour of the proposal, please post a comment below including an alternative idea.

Ideally it would be great to reach some sort of consensus. What that looks like in this context I am not sure? Maybe if we get 13 in support then we go with it? Or perhaps if we get less than 4 who dissent? ...what do yoose reckon?

If you are not happy with this process at all, please make sure to speak up, because I realise this is all new and we havent yet made decisions about how we make decisions :)

15. anthak

P_L has raised this reasonable point:
    Perhaps we should just not worry about setting it up for this draft and just make a decision for the future drafts.
    What do you all think?

• Like Like x 4
  16. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

so whats the democratic consensus - first trade period now open until the end of NAB?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

I'll 2nd that motion :D
    and I'm pretty sure @MrsBear would be in agreeance :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Len

I'd love to but probably best we hold off for a few days, get a management structure and some guidelines in place..
    Even something as simple as trading needs some grounding, ie all trades must be one for one as squad sizes are set at 30, do we allow delists, do we allow for a mini draft prior to season and allow for uneven trades, etc etc..

• Like Like x 2
  19. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Just jumping in to say my bit on rules.

Overall, i'm happy to roll with the FU rules, with the suggestions from p_l above.
    Agree, reviews shouldn't be compulsory. Might be something that evolves down the track.
    Definitely no trade during drafts, don't see point.

Am I right in saying that we are running with a 24 squad size to enter the 2017 PSD?

Per Len's comment on trading (in banter thread). Simplicity sounds best. Happy to have a trade period til sometime in nab but has to be one for one to retain 30 man squads. No further delists or mini-draft.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

My "day or so" blew out quite a bit, my apologies - I will post my efforts in the post following this one

Just by way of background before I post I made updates based mostly on Ant and PL's earlier posts as they were the most comprehensive focussing in rules collectively rather than one rule in isolation, where Ant and PL agreed I have gone with their views as a starting point for further discussion. Where they differed I have supported one or the other view, again as a starting point for further discussion.

I have also tried to reduce the waffle and prescriptiveness of the ORFFU rules (and got it to just below 9000 characters, was hoping for less) and made other tweaks which no doubt you will pick up on in reading.

I would be happy for pretty much anything to be deleted or amended if the majority of us support one option over another. If needed quote the clause or subclause you want to discuss and propose alternative wording

Some further notes are

* For now I have removed the everyone plays everyone, top8, 3 week finals and “fixed finals/select your opponent” references in Sections 2 and 3 as I believe all of these should be discussed by everyone prior to updating the rules – otherwise these can be put down as “as decided annually by the incoming ORFFF Commissioner and Board” or “subject to an annual vote of ORFFF members” and we can take our time on this issue, which also delays the timing of finalising the 2016 ORFFF fixture.

* I found the rules difficult to write with the ORFFU allowing trading during the ORFFU draft, whereas the other 2 comps don't. Hence for ease of writing I have adopted the ORFFL/ORFFA with dual trade periods before and after each draft (against as a starting point for discussion). If people want trading during the draft as per the ORFFU then please speak up and convince the rest of the comp of the merits, beware this may or may not put the onus on you to manage the "Drafting and Trading admin" side of things if others aren't so keen to help out due to additional work this change might require.

* As an alternative to a Commissioner and Board as specified in the draft rules (modified from the ORFFU which has a board of 5) a Commissioner plus Deputy Commissioner would also work. Regardless we would need at least 2 or 3 nominees in the Commish Nominations thread unless we are all satisfied that it is a one person job, with others chipping in for the various tasks and admin.
    Trading during the season
    Apart from the above discussion items I think the only significant item to resolve is "trading during the season" rather than in shorter trade periods. IMO it is only fair that Trading during the season for 2016 (as suggested by Insider and supported by ViqBoz if my memory serves) can be put to a vote to see whether there is much wider support. However it would be my opinion that if it is supported at least one or 2 of those supporting would need to step up to coordinate the trading side of things, vetoes etc and update teams in the TS systems, keep any and all records etc. If trading during the season for 2016 is supported then we would also need to agree on whether a trade deadline should be in place and if so when it will take effect.

If you see anything else in my next post that you think needs to be discussed or want to either draft up another set of rules instead or reinstate any parts deleted or amended from the ORFFU rules then again please let all of us know !

EDIT - or if you prefer to be sans formal rules ala the ORFFA and effectively leave things to the judgement of the appointed Commish or to robust discussion from yourself and your fellow Trippers then let us know that too

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016