ORFFF League Setup, rules and key dates discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by TheTassieHawk, Nov 27, 2012.

1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

re:- the ORFFF draft what do we all think about kicking things off aroundMonday the11th of January andwrapping things up by Monday the 14th March (64 days), to enable a week long trade period prior to Round 1 ??

this would mean we need to havefinalfranchise numbers (hopefully Walesy would be so kind to allow us to email the TS mailing listprior to Xmas) and list size voting(once we have an indication of team numbers as some want the 2 to be linked) to be finalised by Wednesday 6th January so that a draft order can be determined by Friday 8th January

SC normally opens 1st February but positions should be known earlier if anyone has access to SC gold or other such information sources so it is a matter of whether or not we have enough time to wrap things up if we start later

while other comps didn't need to do this I would be happy with one or more mandatory 'draft nights' (ie 5 minute time limit or 7 minutes for double picks) being held if we fall behind the required drafting rate

2. TheTassieHawk

my thoughts are that we should adopt the ORFFU rules and regs with any adjustments needed as people raise any suggestions fro 'change' and they get voted on

personally I have no issue if some of these are sorted out while we conduct the draft rather than beforehand

we just need to figure out the squad size as a priority and as per Len's suggestion some might want this to be a few weeks before the draft

in the absence of any other suggestions if we work off a Monday 11thJanuary start date then maybe we put up a 'Calling for Final ORFFF entries' Blog in early December and decide on squad size byshortly before Christmas

In terms of the squad size poll I was thinking doing this in 2 parts to give an 'either/or' choice amongst the more popular options unless one of the options gets 50% support in the first poll

For those of you who are committed (and not just to make up the numbers) keepputting up theteam pages- mine might be in a few weeks as I am a little pressed for time

3. TheTassieHawk

Len wrote:
    TheTassieHawk wrote:

my thoughts are that we should adopt the ORFFU rules and regs with any adjustments needed as people raise any suggestions fro 'change' and they get voted on

personally I have no issue if some of these are sorted out while we conduct the draft rather than beforehand

we just need to figure out the squad size as a priority and as per Len's suggestion some might want this to be a few weeks before the draft

in the absence of any other suggestions if we work off a Monday 11thJanuary start date then maybe we put up a 'Calling for Final ORFFF entries' Blog in early December and decide on squad size byshortly before Christmas

In terms of the squad size poll I was thinking doing this in 2 parts to give an 'either/or' choice amongst the more popular options unless one of the options gets 50% support in the first poll

For those of you who are committed (and not just to make up the numbers) keepputting up theteam pages- mine might be in a few weeks as I am a little pressed for time </div>

We have to start somewhere, and all somewheres require a compromise or too so why not..

The only FU rules I have a real issue with and would rather live without are;
    2B, rolling lockouts by game feels like overkill.
    7C, I don't see the need for this at all.
    7D, ditto

I also think compulsory delists are a must have for league longevity and health.

</div>
    my take on 2b is that it relates to 'SPLIT ROUNDS' where 4 games are played 1 week and 5 the next - I think we need this rule as is even though it won't apply in 2016

7C - agree delete this
    7D - definitely delete this, IMO cutting below 20 isa pretty randomreason to question someone's commitment

4. TheTassieHawk

I have put up a new blog calling for any interested lurkers to get on board by Xmas
    http://tooserious.net/forum/Blog/tabid/90/Post/7946/Default.aspx

Please note there is now also a poll open regardingteam list size (closing 16th December)

[span style='color: #0066cc; text-decoration: underline;]http://tooserious.net/forum/Forum/tabid/91/forumid/34/threadid/79106/scope/posts/Default.aspx [span style='color: #0066cc;] This is intended to be a 2 parter with the first open for 2 weeks, unless one option gains greater than 50% of the votes the 2 best supported options going head to head in a fresh poll once the first poll closes.

now back to clarifying or revisingthe (other)rules !! <div id='radePasteHelper' style='border: 0px solid red; border-image: none; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; position: absolute;]</div>

5. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk wrote:

Please note there is now also a poll open regardingteam list size (closing 16th December)

[span style='color: #0066cc; text-decoration: underline;]http://tooserious.net/forum/Forum/tabid/91/forumid/34/threadid/79106/scope/posts/Default.aspx [span style='color: #0066cc;] This is intended to be a 2 parter with the first open for 2 weeks, unless one option gains greater than 50% of the votes the 2 best supported options going head to head in a fresh poll once the first poll closes.

<div id='radePasteHelper' style='border: 0px solid red; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; position: absolute; border-image: none;]</div> </div>
    2 days left 11 votes in so far

6. TheTassieHawk

I have called the end of the first list size pollpoll with 30 players getting 6 votes, 26 players getting 4 votes and 28 players getting 3 votes

So now we have until 29th December to recast the votes for 26 vs 30 players, be sure to vote and help to sort this out

http://tooserious.net/forum/Forum/tab...

7. TheTassieHawk

insider wrote:

voted and still keen despite my 2 week TS absence due to moving house </div>
    good to hear mate - could you please pm me your email address if you haven't already provided it

also when you get the chance be sure to advise your team name and/or start up a blog to make things official - nb there are still no ORFF* franchises with names starting with O,U,X,Y or Z or with nicknames starting with E,K,X,Y or Z

8. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk wrote:

I have called the end of the first list size pollpoll with 30 players getting 6 votes, 26 players getting 4 votes and 28 players getting 3 votes

So now we have until 29th December to recast the votes for 26 vs 30 players, be sure to vote and help to sort this out

http://tooserious.net/forum/Forum/tab... </div>
    [span style='font-size: 10px;]9 votes in already - it looks like being tight (currently 5-4) so hopefully as many people as possible vote by next week's deadline

9. TheTassieHawk

insider wrote:
    TheTassieHawk wrote:
    insider wrote:

voted and still keen despite my 2 week TS absence due to moving house </div>
    good to hear mate - could you please pm me your email address if you haven't already provided it

also when you get the chance be sure to advise your team name and/or start up a blog to make things official - nb there are still no ORFF* franchises with names starting with O,U,X,Y or Z or with nicknames starting with E,K,X,Y or Z </div>

im open to suggestions for team names. Ill pick the most random one anyone can offer </div>

some suggestions you or others are more than welcome to use or adapt as needed

if wanting to provide a WA rival for Walpole then
    - Eucla or Esperance Emus/Eels/Elephants/Emperors
    - Mount Madden or Munglinup Mauraders/Mongrels
    - Kumarina Knights

if wanting to snavel the first NT based ORFFF franchise then
    - Emu SpringEmus/Eels/Elephants/Emperors
    - Yuendemu Territorians
    - Murrachura Spring or MaratankaMauraders/Mongrels
    - Dingo Spring Dingoes

if wanting to provide a QLD rival for Chinchilla, then
    - UrandangiorRolleston or Rubyvale(or any remote Qld town) Rednecks (Rockhampton might be too big a town?)
    - Normanton or Nanango Knights/Ninjas
    - Eromanga or EmeraldEels/Emus/Elephants/Emperors
    - Mt IsaMiners/Mauraders/Mongrels
    - Moura or Morven or Monto or MungallalaMauraders/Mongrels
    - Yandaran Yobboes

10. TheTassieHawk

<div dir='ltr] <div class='ecxcopy-paste-block]as emailed to everyone I have email addresses for this morning

---------------------------------
    so far we have 10 CONFIRMED teams for the ORFFF

DamoH - Maralinga Atoms - confirmed
    Grav/That KI Guy - Neptune Island Noahs - confirmed
    PL - Wapole Wylies - confirmed - confirmed
    Choppers - Chinchilla Chumps - confirmed
    Len - Cockburn Avengers - confirmed
    TTH - Black Swamp 29'ers - confirmed
    Thokash - Jan Juc Ducks - confirmed
    Tyze1 - Rutherglen Fugitives - confirmed
    ViqBoz - Mole Creek Glow-worms - confirmed
    Insider - Dingo Beach Butchers - confirmed
    </div> <p class='ecxcopy-paste-block]
    <p class='ecxcopy-paste-block]if we want to start the ORFFF draft on Monday 11th January we need to organise the ORFFF draft order the week before, say Tuesday morning 5th January, so assuming that timeframe is still desired it would be appreciated if the following coaches could confirm participation and/or franchise names by 7pm on Monday 4th January:- <div class='ecxcopy-paste-block] <ul> <li> <div>anthak</div> </li> <li> <div>Bear</div> </li> <li> <div>Illuminati</div> </li> <li> <div>stowie</div> </li> <li> <div>Mrs Bear (22/10)</div> </li> <li>Jamabadar</li> <li>That KI Guy's mate</li> </ul> </div>

we can always push the draft back (a little) if we don't hear back from enough coaches to lock in 14 or 16 teams but anyone not confirmed in a timely fashionas per the above potentially runs the risk of being allocated the last pick in the draftby default or being excluded altogether - as decided amongst confirmed ORFFF entrants
    <div id='radePasteHelper' style='border: 0px solid red; border-image: none; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; position: absolute;]</div> </div>

11. TheTassieHawk

welcome aboard PDP, Jamabadar and Bear to make 13 confirmed

also a 30 player list size won the poll

once we get the draft order sorted we should open a poll to decide the list size we take into the 2017 PSD -(20 was mentioned above but we might be able to increase slightly due to the larger in-season list size) - suggestions for poll options anyone??

12. TheTassieHawk

Len from the comments earlier in the threadI would expect MrsBear/Nicky as a fairly certain 14th, Ant will no doubt step in if needed to make an even 14 or 16 teams

I am not sure how much we should be chasing Illuminati and Stowie (other can give their opinion on this below if needed) but for now we have set a 'soft' deadline of Monday 4th at 7pm so we can finalise a draft order on Tuesday(6 days prior to the scheduled draft starting date of Monday 11th, although that can be pushed back if necessary)

The draft order may be made for 16 teams - then can be adjusted down to 14 teams if that is the number we end up going with

I get your point regarding needing a known number of teams to nail pre-draft research but we are all in the same boat regardless

13. stowie

stowie Moderator

Yo good people.

Thanks to Ant for the heads up. I often forget we have a forum on TS :|

I am happy to jump in and even up the numbers. Is there already a franchise from Drouin? Do the Drop Bears exist? Can I be the Drouin Drop Bears?

14. TheTassieHawk

stowie wrote:

Yo good people.

Thanks to Ant for the heads up. I often forget we have a forum on TS :|

I am happy to jump in and even up the numbers. Is there already a franchise from Drouin? Do the Drop Bears exist? Can I be the Drouin Drop Bears? </div>
    Cheers mate

As we now have 15 confirmed and named teams plus 1 confirmed but unnamed teamwe can lock in the 16 team draft

If Illuminati turns up prior tothe draft he can take Ant's Pick 2 (and 31)

Which means you may as well start things off with Pick 1 (and get pick 32 late on)

Given the impending TS changeover I was holdingoffstarting a new and separate ORFFF draft thread until late Sunday orearly Mondaymorning

15. TheTassieHawk

Hi All As previously posted on the TS Blog http://tooserious.net/Blog/tabid/90/P...we are looking to kick off with a new comp in 2016.

Update as at 31/12 (13 confirmed teams)
    DamoH - Maralinga Atoms - confirmed
    Grav/That KI Guy - Neptune Island Noahs - confirmed
    PL - Wapole Wylies - confirmed
    Choppers - Chinchilla Chumps - confirmed
    Len - Cockburn Avengers - confirmed
    TTH - Black Swamp 29'ers - confirmed
    Thokash - Jan Juc Ducks - confirmed
    Tyze1 - Rutherglen Fugitives - confirmed
    ViqBoz - Mole Creek Glow-worms - confirmed
    Insider - Dingo Beach Butchers - confirmed
    Bear - Wedge Island Whitepointers - confirmed
    Jamabadar - Useless Loop Virgins - confirmed
    PDP - Port Douglas Pirates - confirmed

Anthak
    Illuminati
    PHIL (has formally withdrawn interest)
    stowie
    Mrs Bear (22/10)

some of these have indicated they are happy to be involved in order to make up the numbers before handing over to someone else at a future point in time

For those of you on the list please contribute to the discussion here or monitor it weekly if at all possible

If you aren't on this list but wish to join up feel free to let us know below and pm me your email address as well

Cheers TTH

16. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Great work keeping this rolling TTH, some initial thoughts below on your topics.
    <p style='color: #000000; margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;]New comp name to be decided (asap)- Not fussed, I like the regional name concept used for league and teams. <p style='color: #000000; margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;]'Rules' to be discussed - Loosely based on the current leagues makes sense, enough variation in them to create discussion <p style='color: #000000; margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;]All coaches to indicate what interest they have in contributing to league organisation and admin and any periods of extended unavailability so that we can form a Commisioner/Committee set up to oversee operations through to the end of the 2016 Season - Happy to help where required, prefer to assist than manage anything <p style='color: #000000; margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;]Approximate Drafting Format and Dates to be determined- We might want two drafts, one to partially fill teams and then another prior to season start to focus on AFL draftees, though doing both as one would be interesting and add variety. <p style='color: #000000; margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;]Final Number of Teams to be determined - not fussed but even number preferred to avoid weekly byes <p style='color: #000000; margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;]Team Names and Blogs on TS - I have had a name ready for weeks :) <p style='color: #000000; margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;] <p style='color: #000000; margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;]Re the keeping a team or minding it, I would be keeping the one I start.

17. Len

Given the lack of comment, a 10 or 12 team league may be the outcome

18. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

I'm really terrible at checking the forum here, so apologies for not seeing this earlier.

I would prefer to have a 16-18 team competition. More the merrier really, but I think the only non-neg would be even number of teams.
    Run by a Commissioner/Committee is fine but wouldn't be putting my hand up. If it becomes a problem, happy to punt the team off to someone else.

Echo Kash's sentiments about wanting to see the differences in the leagues. Coming from the 'FL pretty happy with most, if not all, the rules we have in place for that.
    If I could think outside the box I'd be trying to come up with an original pun on the whole AWFUL/ORFFL word play but I got nada. I just think if we stick to a theme like regional towns of Australia, we stick to it rather than getting too wild, eg: one team named oddly like the Timbuktu Terriers which would make no sense if everyone else has named teams using the previous example.

19. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Names, Names, Names.

Alliance
    Assembly
    Band
    Brigade
    Bunch
    Challenge
    Championship
    Class
    Club
    Collection
    Conference
    Conglomerate
    Congregation
    Crew
    Crowd
    Cup
    Division
    Faction
    Gang
    Group
    Organization
    Pack
    Party
    Platoon
    Pool
    Series
    Syndicate
    Troop
    Trophy

Real world league names for inspiration:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues#Top-level_tours

20. Len

We've never detailed the FA rules in one spot, I'll grab the list you posted TTH and highlight variances if that works for you?