ORFFF League Setup, rules and key dates discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by TheTassieHawk, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

choppers wrote:
    insider wrote:

oooh im partial to Sherwood Archers orEromanga Emus.
    Anyone else got anything exciting? </div>

How about the Urandangi Urinals............. I know, I know, it's a p*ss poor suggestion......555555 </div>

tish boom :)

2. Len

TheTassieHawk wrote:

welcome aboard PDP, Jamabadar and Bear to make 13 confirmed

also a 30 player list size won the poll

once we get the draft order sorted we should open a poll to decide the list size we take into the 2017 PSD -(20 was mentioned above but we might be able to increase slightly due to the larger in-season list size) - suggestions for poll options anyone?? </div>

Cutting a third maybe a bit harsh, I'd suggest 24, 25, 26 as max size options for PSD entry

3. Len

We are 13 confirmed? Ant presumably still to come, so 14 at least..
    Is there a point where you will be calling the number of teams as locked TTH?

Unfortunately can't do a draft list to any level of depth without knowing the draw pool size to determine the moneyball #

4. Len

TheTassieHawk wrote:

Len from the comments earlier in the threadI would expect MrsBear/Nicky as a fairly certain 14th, Ant will no doubt step in if needed to make an even 14 or 16 teams

I am not sure how much we should be chasing Illuminati and Stowie (other can give their opinion on this below if needed) but for now we have set a 'soft' deadline of Monday 4th at 7pm so we can finalise a draft order on Tuesday(6 days prior to the scheduled draft starting date of Monday 11th, although that can be pushed back if necessary)

The draft order may be made for 16 teams - then can be adjusted down to 14 teams if that is the number we end up going with

I get your point regarding needing a known number of teams to nail pre-draft research but we are all in the same boat regardless </div>

sounds good to me mate cheers, will work on both 14 and 16 outcomes

5. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

I would strongly suggest, and don't mind if we do, pushing back any draft date to make sure we get even numbers.

6. Len

choppers wrote:

Getting the last pick in the PSD, you could say that Maralinga 'bombed' out........

and if we go with 14 teams, and insider has Pick 1, just like the original ORFFU PSD where he also had Pick 1, then I might suggest that there's been some 'insider trading' evident... </div>

Actually think there is an advantage going 14th, or 16th, allows you to pick 2 in a row, and arguably from a better pool than the guy who has 1 and 32.

ant has indicated he is happy to be the swingman to ensure we have an even number which is a valuable thing and very cool of him.

7. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

I think the first thing to confirm is the number of teams as this has a flow-on to pretty much everything else (squad size, when we can draft, finals structure etc).

A 16 team comp makes sense to me as it would mean we could have a 4 week finals series, while also being able to finish the season early to avoid the 'resting' curse.

It also means we're only after another 2 coaches.

8. grav

grav Guest

Yeah I'm def in. Not much time to comment atm. Hope can post some more next week.
    Given a choice I would go with ORFFC. C could also stand for conference.

9. grav

grav Guest

Awesome work Len.
    The humour just elevated it to 'required reading'

10. grav

grav Guest

OK, my thoughts, for what they're worth.

My motivation to participate is largely a selfish one. As an ORFFA franchise interloper, I am very keen to have the opportunity to draft and mould a team from scratch, and see how my chosen talent evolves. Not to debase The Lefties and the behemoth they have become, but they are a far cry from the team I originally inherited (yes they will still be my first love)
    That aside, I am willing to assist during the off season in any way possible to get this league up and running. During the regular season, I would be happy to work with one or two other coaches on a specific task (MSD coord or trade coord). I like the concept of sharing roles as it spreads the load and ensures back up if someone has real life priorities.

Rules
    League size - my pref is for at least 16 teams
    Squad size - as alluded by Len, strongly influenced by league size. as a guide I would be keen on the 18 team/28 player scenario. The extra two players adds some variety and compexity to the keeper league with coaches having the option to dabble with more depth, emerging youth or a long term project or two.
    Delists - firmly in the mandatory delist camp too. 6 works well. A fan of the 4/2 option in the FA but not fazed if strictly 6 prior to PSD.
    Deity - happy with a single chief (with a deputy or two) with major decisions discussed/voted by league.
    Draft - pref to see a week or two of NAB prior to draft but this might not be possible for the entire initial draft, I recall someone suggesting we draft a core team and hold a secondary draft mid-NAB to draft the remainder.
    Commitment - not sold on stringent rules around commitment or responding to trade requests. However I do prefer the use of the forum (i.e. in 'ere) for league discussion and managing drafts/trade activity etc and would expect coaches to stick their head in from time to time.
    Finals - obviously dependant on league size. If less than 18, then a double chance would be nice. Beyond that, i'm happy with the top of the ladder choosing opponent.

I have seen comments from most of the 13 odd coaches in the OP, so are we in a position to make some decisions or cast a vote on: Comp name, Commish nominations...?

And most importantly, I reckon committed coaches should start creating their own team threads and get some name reveals happening! (he he I might even kick this off)

11. grav

grav Guest

Per P_L's comment:To be honest though, if we're struggling to get 14 coaches and most of hem are double-ups to make the numbers is there any point to starting this now?[span style='color: #000000; background: transparent;]

[span style='color: #000000; background: transparent;]It's a valid question and one probably not lost on most of us. I guess the alternative is that the 5-6 prospective 'new' coaches wait in the wings for a few years hoping that someone falls off the perch or perhaps take their business elsewhere.
    I'm of the view that if TTH is eager and committed enough to kick this off and a reasonable number of current and new coaches jump in fairly quickly then let it have legs.
    Surely it's got to be a benefit for the site and this keeper brand in general.
    Granted that this time of year is not the best for trying to recruit SC keeper coaches but time is on our side.

From what I have read, choppers and insider have thrown their hat in the ring and Mrs Bear is a possibility too (c'mon Nicky!).
    That gives us 16 by my count andpotentially2 - 3 months before we need to hold a draft. So let's be at it!

I hope that didn't sound too soapboxy...

12. grav

grav Guest

Mrs Bear wrote:

Hello gentlemen,
    Sorry for only just getting my account set up and posting something in here, I had to wait for the other half to give me a bit of time on his laptop so I could sort things out.
    After some convincing from the other half, along with a bit of explaining about how things operate, I am definitely keen to have a go at this new league (I like the idea of ORFFF, or triple F as it could become known as). Not very experienced in this type of format, but I have taken notice of Bear over the past few years with his involvement in the original ORFFL, and I do regularly rank higher than him in Supercoach (3 out of past 4 years I have ranked slightly higher than him).
    I look forward to being involved and hopefully kicking some gentlemanly butt over the next few years (I will take it easy on Gravenger because he was kind enough to buy us a couple of beers at the footy a few years ago, but look out everyone else, especially to you know who). </div>
    Great to have you on board Nicky!
    Another household rivalry is born.

Ahh those memorable final frothies at Footy Park. Even sweeter that they weren't that vile West End Soap on Tap that my taste buds vividly recall from the 90's.

Trippers Unite!

13. grav

grav Guest

yep, snake.
    Even numbers.

14. grav

grav Guest

Yep its a no from me too re: the UFA suggestion

15. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Its interesting reading through your interpretations and opinions of our 'FU rules.
    I know a few 'FU people are joining the 'FF so maybe they can let us know how the rules compare, and we look at changing ours in the future.

16. jamabadar

jamabadar Moderator

You can confirm jamabadar and the Useless Loop Virgins also happy to help out where ever needed cheers.

17. grav

grav Guest

Bearfly wrote:
    TheTassieHawk wrote:

Len from the comments earlier in the threadI would expect MrsBear/Nicky as a fairly certain 14th, Ant will no doubt step in if needed to make an even 14 or 16 teams

I am not sure how much we should be chasing Illuminati and Stowie (other can give their opinion on this below if needed) but for now we have set a 'soft' deadline of Monday 4th at 7pm so we can finalise a draft order on Tuesday(6 days prior to the scheduled draft starting date of Monday 11th, although that can be pushed back if necessary)

The draft order may be made for 16 teams - then can be adjusted down to 14 teams if that is the number we end up going with

I get your point regarding needing a known number of teams to nail pre-draft research but we are all in the same boat regardless </div>

You can count Nicky in, she's still trying to decide on a team name atm - plus we haven't been around much the past couple of weeks due to travelling to Adelaide for Christmas with my family which meant very limited access to the net, only got home couple days ago and have been chilling a fair bit since (apart from my couple of quick stints online) </div>
    Hey Bear, I've got a suggestion for NIcky's team.

How about the Gunyah Beach Great Whites!

That'd be original :p

18. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

choppers wrote:

Getting the last pick in the PSD, you could say that Maralinga 'bombed' out........
    </div>

No bombing out here Chops. The Atoms' drafting team will be sticking to their targets and plan on making such a huge impact on the draft with picks 16 and 17 that the fallout will be felt throughout the ORFFF for years to come.

19. jamabadar

jamabadar Moderator

You beauty pick 13 unlucky for some but not for the virgins here we come!

20. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

I have a suggestion for a name for the new Competition........ORFFF.......

Outer Regional Football Fantasy Federation

([span style='color: #222222; background-color: #ffffff;]S<strong style='color: #222222; background-color: #ffffff;]ports federations[/b][span style='color: #222222; background-color: #ffffff;], each of which serves as a non-governmental governing body for a given<strong style='color: #222222; background-color: #ffffff;]sport[/b][span style='color: #222222; background-color: #ffffff;]and administers its<strong style='color: #222222; background-color: #ffffff;]sport[/b][span style='color: #222222; background-color: #ffffff;]at a world level, most often crafting rules, promoting the<strong style='color: #222222; background-color: #ffffff;]sport[/b][span style='color: #222222; background-color: #ffffff;]to prospective spectators and fans, developing prospective players, ...)