ORFFF League Setup, rules and key dates discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by TheTassieHawk, Nov 27, 2012.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

TheTassieHawk wrote:
    [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Here are some quick thoughts on some organisational things that need to be worked out or scheduled &amp;ndash; please contribute and feel free to bring up add any other issues I have missed [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]New comp name to be decided (asap) [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]'Rules' to be discussed [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]All coaches to indicate what interest they have in contributing to league organisation and admin and any periods of extended unavailability so that we can form a Commisioner/Committee set up to oversee operations through to the end of the 2016 Season [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Approximate Drafting Format and Dates to be determined [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;] [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Final Number of Teams to be determined [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Team Names and Blogs on TS [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;] [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Hold the draft [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Organise the 2016 Competition Fixture [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;] [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Again if there are any other issues I have missed please feel free to mention them and I will add them to this post [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;] [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Cheers TTH </div>

on the name, another option I have been thinking of is the ORFFC
    Outer Regional Fantasy Football Collective

I am not too keen to get involved in the organising of this league, however I will aim to participate and contribute as much as practicable. I will also step up if need be if we are short of people who actually want to take on roles in the organising/governance of the league.

Looking forward to it.

2. anthak

anthak wrote:
    TheTassieHawk wrote:
    [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Here are some quick thoughts on some organisational things that need to be worked out or scheduled &amp;ndash; please contribute and feel free to bring up add any other issues I have missed [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]New comp name to be decided (asap) [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]'Rules' to be discussed [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]All coaches to indicate what interest they have in contributing to league organisation and admin and any periods of extended unavailability so that we can form a Commisioner/Committee set up to oversee operations through to the end of the 2016 Season [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Approximate Drafting Format and Dates to be determined [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;] [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Final Number of Teams to be determined [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Team Names and Blogs on TS [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;] [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Hold the draft [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Organise the 2016 Competition Fixture [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;] [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Again if there are any other issues I have missed please feel free to mention them and I will add them to this post [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;] [span style='font-size: 13px; color: black;]Cheers TTH </div>

on the name, another option I have been thinking of is the ORFFC
    Outer Regional Fantasy Football Collective

I am not too keen to get involved in the organising of this league, however I will aim to participate and contribute as much as practicable. I will also step up if need be if we are short of people who actually want to take on roles in the organising/governance of the league.

Looking forward to it.

</div>

Ive got some more ideas/suggestions too...

15 player matchday teams, with 4 emergencies, same structure as ORFFA (and other ORFF leagues I think)
    30 player total squad (so we can play intra club matches at training)

1/2 score for players played out of position.

No special scores for captains etc.

I think we should start the draft soon after the AFL National Draft, and draft all players.

18 teams is my preference. or as many as possible if 18 not achievable. Even if we have to play with a bye.

I like the idea of team names to be regional places. Ive got some ideas for my own.

For initial draft order, maybe we should make it in order that teams registered their interest for this comp in the official threads. Or maybe reverse order, so whoever next joins up will get 1st pick, and so on. gives people incentive to get involved :) and we might get to 18 teams.

3. anthak

I hope they get your sense of humor, Lenh

4. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Apologies for not commenting here earlier, been waiting to get my new laptop which has finally arrived (although I had to think for a bit to remember my log-in details for TS)!!!

Am definitely still keen to get involved, and am still chatting to the missus regarding her potential involvement - will keep you posted there.

As for jobs/assistance running the new ORFF league, I can put my hand up to produce the draw when the time comes - other than that I am unsure if study commitments will enable further involvement, will have to wait and see.

I like the idea of 28 player lists - or maybe a variance on the other leagues with perhaps a 26 player primary list and a 4 player rookie list which can only be called on in the event of LTI's (rules/guidelines to be determined).

With finals, I believe the choosing of opponents used in ORFFL is a pretty solid option.

Will post other thoughts as the crop up.

5. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

I have also put my hand up to join, if numbers are needed.

I would like to see 18 teams of 26 and I am also in the forced delistment camp.

6. choppers

I like what you're sayin' there,grav. Not bad for a leftie........Not 100% sold on 28 player squad and 6 mandatory delistments, I myself would prefer 26/3-4 but agree with the rest.

7. choppers

sounded orright to me, grav..................

8. anthak

Mrs Bear wrote:

Hello gentlemen,
    Sorry for only just getting my account set up and posting something in here, I had to wait for the other half to give me a bit of time on his laptop so I could sort things out.
    After some convincing from the other half, along with a bit of explaining about how things operate, I am definitely keen to have a go at this new league (I like the idea of ORFFF, or triple F as it could become known as). Not very experienced in this type of format, but I have taken notice of Bear over the past few years with his involvement in the original ORFFL, and I do regularly rank higher than him in Supercoach (3 out of past 4 years I have ranked slightly higher than him).
    I look forward to being involved and hopefully kicking some gentlemanly butt over the next few years (I will take it easy on Gravenger because he was kind enough to buy us a couple of beers at the footy a few years ago, but look out everyone else, especially to you know who). </div>

Good to hear from you Mrs Bear :)

9. Bearfly

TheTassieHawk wrote:
    anthak wrote:
    Mrs Bear wrote:

Hello gentlemen,
    Sorry for only just getting my account set up and posting something in here, I had to wait for the other half to give me a bit of time on his laptop so I could sort things out.
    After some convincing from the other half, along with a bit of explaining about how things operate, I am definitely keen to have a go at this new league (I like the idea of ORFFF, or triple F as it could become known as). Not very experienced in this type of format, but I have taken notice of Bear over the past few years with his involvement in the original ORFFL, and I do regularly rank higher than him in Supercoach (3 out of past 4 years I have ranked slightly higher than him).
    I look forward to being involved and hopefully kicking some gentlemanly butt over the next few years (I will take it easy on Gravenger because he was kind enough to buy us a couple of beers at the footy a few years ago, but look out everyone else, especially to you know who). </div>

Good to hear from you Mrs Bear :)
    </div>
    +1 to the welcome Mrs Bear/Nicky

also from reviewing the above we now have 3 nominations for the ORFFF (Federation) so perhaps we should go with this name unless there are any objections by this time next week (Friday 30th October) ??

As Mrs Bear pointed out the comp could be known as the Triple F, and perhaps the participants could be known as either 'Fers or Trippers (I prefer the latter)

I'll post regardingsome of the drafting and list management discussion on the weekend If I get time

</div>

Thanks for making Nicky feel welcome Ant &amp;amp; TTH - must admit she felt a tad nervous about posting for first time!!!
    Not too impressed that she had to point out the recent SC ranking differences though - she'll always have a crack at me when she can so I think I need to show her who's boss here :p

@TTH - love the idea of us being known as the Trippers!!!

10. anthak

port_leschenault wrote:

Sorry, keep forgetting about coming here. Welcome Mrs Bear!

I don't wish for having expansion teams at a later date. I don't think there a need to go lower than 16/18 teams. As for logistics, we've got 3 other leagues as proof that it can be done. Fixtures are rather straight forward with how the bye rounds are structured up currently. 18 teams, play others 1 (17 games) plus 3 rounds of finals plus the three byes and that's 23. Neat n easy.

As for draft pool, I don't see it as a problem, deeper drafting means rewarding finding players more and if you make sure you delist a good amount then you can have a decent sized ddraft anyway without having a larger pool of players not on teams doing nothing for most of the year.

Didn't realise about the push for ORFFF. I'd have said ORFFC myself. Think that's the next logical abbreviation. What it stands for, probably out of Competition, Championship and Conference are the three choices I'd say. Either/Or really.

28 + 8 setup for me. Or as close to that. Delistments not movements, since this is a keeper league, not a dynasty league which I think some of the ORFF rules crossover into. I think one of the most important things is making sure each draft is as fresh and new as possible and that lists don't get stagnant or hording. If you're to keep 18-20 players that's already a sizeable amount.

No Rookie List. K.I.S.S </div>

I'd be happy to support all of this here from PL.
    Except that I'd still like the C to be for Collective :) But I am really not concerned about what we end up with.
    And I would still like to see squad sizes of 30. Allows for 15 v 15 intraclub games :)
    If that meant 10 'delists' was required, I'd be ok with that.

The '' around delists is actually because I agree with Len's suggestion of it actually being around squad size rather than a requirement to delist. I support delisting rather than movement as a rule, but in essence the main aim is to get squad sizes down to a certain figure (20 maybe) prior to the draft. If we havent traded all our players out in 2for1s etc then delisting is required

11. choppers

same here.

Snake, even numbers

12. choppers

I like p_l's idea........

[span style='color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff;]'Better focusing on what rules and number of players etc we're going to use first I think'.

13. anthak

I'll give my take on some of the ORFFU rules...

1b, 5a, 5d, 5e, 6c - I still like squad size of 30. I gather this is still to be decided.
    1h - I dont like this being policed so strictly. I would like to think people will want to submit teams for other reasons anyway.
    2b &amp;amp; 2d - needs to be clarified. I agree with the intent, as TTH has explained above.
    2f - probably should specify what happens if there is no Friday game.
    2g &amp;amp; 7b - not sure this needs to be mandatory
    3b - probably requires further discussion. I am open to various possibilities, however my preference is for opponents of the top 4 teams to be based on total points scored across season rather than ladder position. So, ladder position for top 4, and the total points scored to determine their opponents.
    4b, 4d &amp;amp; 4e - I believe there needs to be a different timeframe, or different veto system for trades during drafts (Maybe a quick decision by the Commish, so the draft can keep moving). And also trades should be only 1 to 1 during drafts.
    5c, 7d - Do not agree, and not necessary IMO
    6b - I think 18 hours is better. and I think the auto-picked player should be based on AFL draft position for our preseason draft, and current season's SC ave for the midseason draft. Our inaugural draft should be based on 2015 SC ave.
    6d - is this really necessary? Added to this, I would actually like to see us create a thread where we keep track of players we delist due to them either retiring or being delisted from their AFL team. Then if that player comes back into the AFL (ala Mitch Clark), their former ORFFF team can nominate to draft them, with other teams able to bid a pick for them, that the nominating team must match with their next available pick if they want them. I hope that all makes sense.
    6g - fine to leave in, but not sure it is necessary?
    7a - dont think it should be mandatory for all, but maybe we need to decide a quorum?
    7c - Do not agree. Should not be mandatory imo
    7e -]Do not agree.
    ]7g - sort of ok in principle, but difficult to judge/determine whether someone is interested or not.
    7j - delete 'more' haha - thankfully we havent had any yet :)
    7m - i get the idea, but does this really need to be a rule. There are other ways to engage people

just my ideas. please let me know if you have any questions at all
    cheers

14. choppers

insider wrote:

oooh im partial to Sherwood Archers orEromanga Emus.
    Anyone else got anything exciting? </div>

How about the Urandangi Urinals............. I know, I know, it's a p*ss poor suggestion......555555

15. choppers

insider wrote:

ok so ive done a total about-face, stopped being lazy and come up with............. the Dingo Beach Butchers
    </div>
    Mate, the beaches there look quite inviting. I reckon the Chumps will love their away weekend there.......

16. anthak

jamabadar wrote:

You can confirm jamabadar and the Useless Loop Virgins also happy to help out where ever needed cheers. </div>
    Hahaha, Useless Loop! Love it. I see you've even got an airstrip there which will be handy for access

17. choppers

Len wrote:
    TheTassieHawk wrote:

welcome aboard PDP, Jamabadar and Bear to make 13 confirmed

also a 30 player list size won the poll

once we get the draft order sorted we should open a poll to decide the list size we take into the 2017 PSD -(20 was mentioned above but we might be able to increase slightly due to the larger in-season list size) - suggestions for poll options anyone?? </div>

Cutting a third maybe a bit harsh, I'd suggest 24, 25, 26 as max size options for PSD entry </div>

If we are having 30 player squads, then I would like to suggest cutting the squad to max.24 players (either by delisting and/or trading) for entry to PSD.

18. Bearfly

TheTassieHawk wrote:

Len from the comments earlier in the threadI would expect MrsBear/Nicky as a fairly certain 14th, Ant will no doubt step in if needed to make an even 14 or 16 teams

I am not sure how much we should be chasing Illuminati and Stowie (other can give their opinion on this below if needed) but for now we have set a 'soft' deadline of Monday 4th at 7pm so we can finalise a draft order on Tuesday(6 days prior to the scheduled draft starting date of Monday 11th, although that can be pushed back if necessary)

The draft order may be made for 16 teams - then can be adjusted down to 14 teams if that is the number we end up going with

I get your point regarding needing a known number of teams to nail pre-draft research but we are all in the same boat regardless </div>

You can count Nicky in, she's still trying to decide on a team name atm - plus we haven't been around much the past couple of weeks due to travelling to Adelaide for Christmas with my family which meant very limited access to the net, only got home couple days ago and have been chilling a fair bit since (apart from my couple of quick stints online)

19. anthak

yeah, Im in. Ive been trying to work out a team name, and Ive come up with one now.

My team will be the Heard Island Shags. Our home ground will be just near Try Pot beach on the North East coast of Heard Island, near Spit Bay...

20. anthak

That KI Guy wrote:
    Bearfly wrote:
    TheTassieHawk wrote:

Len from the comments earlier in the threadI would expect MrsBear/Nicky as a fairly certain 14th, Ant will no doubt step in if needed to make an even 14 or 16 teams

I am not sure how much we should be chasing Illuminati and Stowie (other can give their opinion on this below if needed) but for now we have set a 'soft' deadline of Monday 4th at 7pm so we can finalise a draft order on Tuesday(6 days prior to the scheduled draft starting date of Monday 11th, although that can be pushed back if necessary)

The draft order may be made for 16 teams - then can be adjusted down to 14 teams if that is the number we end up going with

I get your point regarding needing a known number of teams to nail pre-draft research but we are all in the same boat regardless </div>

You can count Nicky in, she's still trying to decide on a team name atm - plus we haven't been around much the past couple of weeks due to travelling to Adelaide for Christmas with my family which meant very limited access to the net, only got home couple days ago and have been chilling a fair bit since (apart from my couple of quick stints online) </div>
    Hey Bear, I've got a suggestion for NIcky's team.

How about the Gunyah Beach Great Whites!

That'd be original :p </div>

ROFL