ORFFL - 2018 Preseason Draft Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFL' started by bgt2110, Feb 25, 2018.

1. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

Pick 95 Darcy MacPherson GCS FWD

@Len

• Like Like x 1
  2. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Eh, rookies are always overrated in their first draft. There's another handful of so that haven't been taken yet that were taken a lot earlier in the other leagues. Doesn't mean they'll all be good. Not all will work out and some take 3-4 seasons to know. Still a gamble.

Same goes for recycled fringe players tbf but at least there you may have the benefit of them playing and covering potential donuts.

3. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Pick 96, Daniel McStay - Bris - Def

@Iain

4. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

After throwing away 2nd and 3rd round picks for spud ruckmen I think the Quolls did alright this draft.

Toss-up between another Tiger and a Lion, hopefully this bloke can put on a bit of muscle and form a decent combination with Higgins.

#97 - Patrick Naish (RIC)

@Bearfly

5. bgt2110

bgt2110 Moderator Staff Member

I don't follow the draft as much as others but wonder where you get your information from on guys yet to play even a JLT game, are chosen 67 in the recent draft and weigh only 66 kg ? Have you seen him play ? Am just wondering because i would like to get to know the draftees better but not sure where to look ? Are you just relying on the Prospectus ?
    Thanks

6. Len

I have usually finished my lists well before the Prospectus comes out, I use the player detailed information within it to order the players into final groupings. I don't get to see any juniour play football live other than in the NEAFL.
    Personally I use the draft watchers to lead me into players, a number of them post detailed info, it's then pretty easy to find tapes that both support and decry their opinions. I also watch the U18 champs games and go through the available stats as much as possible.
    As a starting point I have been using this site lately. https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/dylan-moore/
    But this has become my primary hobby and I don't have kids, so I sink way too many hours into it tbh :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  7. bgt2110

Thanks Len, i appreciate the link to that website. I go into these drafts rather blindly (which explains my position on the ladder) and the reference will come in handy. Just to be clear i wasn't questioning that Moore was a steal, it is just he never crossed my radar because i simply rely on the AFL draft. Probably cost me a wasted pick in Toumpas when i could have had Wines in that year's draft.:(

8. HörnsySechsZeit

HörnsySechsZeit Jarhead Staff Member

Likely the Prospectus is the short answer.

The longer answer is that rookies, if they make it at AFL level, generally replicate the kind of numbers they post at U18 level once they hit their peak years of 24-27.

Moore posted pretty great numbers that I reckon would translate to a 90-95ppf MID or F/M. Moore excelled in CP's, Goals and SA's in both the TAC and the U18 Champs last year; posting similar numbers in both comps - suggesting he wasn't just beating up on the lesser competition of the TAC.

However, he is 176cm and light.

Therefore, there are two schools of thought. Some believe that at that height (and to a lesser extent weight), he won't make it at AFL level where MIDS are usually 10cm taller. Others (and I put a toe in this camp), think that it's impressive he can put up those kind of contested numbers at that size, or at the very least size is not as greater hinderance as some believe it to be in the AFL.

Which is why Moore both drifted in the AFL (and perhaps the ORFFL), and can be considered a steal at the same time.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bgt2110

Thanks for the detailed reply, looks like the Hawks picked up a couple of decent guys late in the draft with Moore and Worpel whom other teams overlooked. Hoping the U18 form can be a good guidance for Sam Hayes and he is dominating in the ruck in a few short years.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Len

Off on a shopping tour of Hanoi for half aday, will be looking for a best 22 playing ruck, but given the average height here is hobbit I may just be forced to buy whiskey

11. EddieV

EddieV Active Member

Thanks for those tips guys , although it may have been obvious to some ,it definitely sheds some new light on a way to look at the draft. Very gracious of you to let some of those ideas out to your competition. now hoping i can start getting a few steals in future drafts. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Got a little tacker heading into RCH tomorrow for a bit of surgery (routine stuff, gunna be fine and all that) - so if it doesn't make it to me today, I'll send my pick through to 4swaggles. 0

Only have 1 name on my list though, so if you guys could be kind enough to let him through, that'd be appreciated. :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. HörnsySechsZeit

Beware U18 players that have a <30% CP rating. There lies the graves of Morton,Tenace, Yarran, Lucas etc.

• Like Like x 2
  14. HörnsySechsZeit

The other factor relevant to ORFFL drafting is that Hawthorn are moving to a more contested inside game due to players retiring and building around TMitch. But they don't as of yet have a cavalcade of inside players for that kind of game. Meaning that there's going to be game time for young untried inside mids at Hawthorn.

Who those guys end up being beats me. Moore is as good a shot as any, although if you could the Moore/Lovell/Wropel 3-way handcuff, it has some merit to it*.

*On the other hand not quite premium rookie MIDs aren't worth all that much, so having 2-3 on a list of 20-26 for 2-3 years incurs a significant opportunity cost. It all depends on the state of your list.

15. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

16. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Yeah there's plenty of options in Hawks mid, Howe it gets sorted is anyone guess. They're kinda riding boom or bust on JOM irt having any finals success in near future. Looking forward to Titchell's 60 possesion games. :D

And I think Sinclair was injured in their JLT game? Curse of the Weagles extends far and wide.

17. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Might take a while mate, young Hayes is definitely being viewed as a long term investment down at Alberton - meanwhile, if anything happens to big Paddy, then Coulta's final selection will be called up into action after showing a strong presence in the SANFL over the past couple of years - seen him dominate in ruck, take spectacular high flying marks, and is strong below the knees for a lad his size.

Welcome to Coulta Pick #98 William "Billy the Kid" Frampton

18. HörnsySechsZeit

19. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Apologies Sir H - after posting my pick I realised I had no clue who was up next :eek: and had to go back to the first page to find out!!!
    Was just about to do it when your post popped up :oops:

20. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

Pick #99 Harrison Himmelburg (GWS)

• Like Like x 2