ORFFL 2023 Dates, Trades & Delistments

Discussion in 'ORFFL' started by stripey, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

Apologies for not submitting these names earlier guys, I got my dates mixed up. But if I can still delist players, the Snakes are delisting Lachlan Young
    James Harmes
    Andrew Gaff

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

If the delist deadline has been extended the Dragons will request for Liam Jones to be added to our MSD delists, given we found out about his injury at 930pm last night.

• Like Like x 1
  3. James84

James84 Well-Known Member

Confirmed, cheers mate

Also @GoofLord12 has let me know he will be sitting out the mid season draft.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

if we are extending i will delist Bazzo & Callum Jamieson... but as the unofficial leader it isnt really my call to make!

• Like Like x 1
  5. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

I am confused. Warburton are not entering the 2023 MSD. Therefore it follows that they do not have any MSD draft picks. How then, can they trade picks that they do not own? Or. am I missing something?
    @Len @stripey

• Like Like x 1
  6. stripey

yes i guess that is right, they would need to open up two spots in order to pass those picks on... which would then mean two players would need to come back the other way?

7. James84

I'm happy to undo the trade if that's the ruling, but surely they hold the rights to the picks regardless of intention?

8. stripey

My feeling is you have to open up a spot to have the pick but happy to put it to a vote

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheTassieHawk

the trade was posted at 1037pm

is it fair to enforce part of the 9pm deadline for trades but at the same time relax part of the 9pm deadline for delists or should both deadlines be relaxed together ?

• Like Like x 1
  10. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

This trade also needs to be reviewed given that Warburton have not entered the draft by delisting three players.

@EddieV can correct all this by delisting three players now. Note, his first active pick would then be in round four.

11. TheTassieHawk

With respect Graeme a team not entering a draft can trade it’s picks to extract value.

it would simply do so before the trade deadline.

Any picks left as at the deadline are then retained or killed off, this is standard practice across all TS leagues

12. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

It's an option @James84 - you have the right to the pick but not the obligation to take it. If you pay the exercise price (i.e., delist player(s)) you have converted an option into an asset. If you do not pay the exercise price, you walk away neither owning the asset nor having any obligation to pay the exercise price.

Options are common in business, especially finance. They are very useful. If you are unfamiliar with them I suggest that at some time you investigate. They occur in all walks of life and are not necessarily branded "option".

13. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

With respect TTH, I am unaware of this practice. It is crazy to suggest you can sell something you do not own, or have no intention of owning. Extracting "value" in this way is anathema. It may be standard practice but that does not mean it is good practice.

As to "standard practice across all TS leagues" - you are part of the ORFFA MSD, what do you think the word "Inactive" implies on the ORFFA MSD op?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  14. EddieV

EddieV Active Member

I and others have previously traded msd picks without opening spots and we have a precedence of putting things in late and as long as it doesn't effect the running of things. Happy to go with whatever it's a minor thing but you are making me smile @graeme your thoughtful ponderings takes me to that simpson headline of grandpa as man yelling at clouds. Always appreciate a smile.

• Like Like x 2
  15. James84

If people aren't happy about it, how about we just rule that the trade was after the stated deadline, it's null and void. That's an actual rule, and there is precedent.

I don't have the time for an argument, but maybe we can come out of this with a formal ruling so in future we know where we stand on the issue.

16. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I've not read any post above, only know of the topic, so unless there is something startling;

Prior to the draft there is no issue trading any held picks.
    It's logical tbh

Had they elected not to trade them they had time to delist, therefore the assets were in play at the time of the trade.
    Taking the FA example, fine to trade any pick before the daft, in the draft can only trade "live" picks.

If we haven't heard from Josh can we move on to the next pick please, I'll be back on in an hour or so

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheTassieHawk

@James84 I am supportive of the wanderers trade with the possums to go through, consistent with extensions of time being granted for delists

I would expect the Commish to make the ruling but if he feels conflicted to at least nominate the person who will make all the calls, and get this sorted, especially as the draft has commenced !

• Like Like x 1
  18. stripey

It's not something I have come across before tbh hence my uncertainty. It seems the majority are onboard with the concept of trading MSD picks without the need to make them 'live'so I can live with that.

We will let these trades stand (along with the additional extension), move on and discuss at a later date if people feel strongly enough about it!

• Like Like x 3
  19. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Happy to accept the explanations from @Len and subsequently @stripey. AS they say "you learn something new everyday". On with the draft.

• Like Like x 3
  20. stripey

I'm sorry, I missed this - how did it come about they had over 26 to begin with?