ORFFL - 2024 Chat

Discussion in 'ORFFL' started by stripey, Jan 25, 2024.

?

How do we want this season to look?

1. Start Round 1, skip rounds 12-15 - top up lists by 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Start Round 1, skip rounds 12-15 - top up lists by 2

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Don't play any bye rounds - 13 round home and away

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Start Round 1, skip rounds 12-15 - existing 26 players only

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Just pointing out there are 5 lines - D M F R IC, so max emergencies is 5, some leagues may set 4

2. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

True. Which is a reason why leaving it at 3 works also.

3. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

As a general, but related comment, I wonder whether we might as a group consider doing a live draft in future. It would obviously be difficult to get everyone to join in at the same time and date, but it also might solve some of these issues that we are currently facing with needing people to be available at various time over a 2-3-week period. It would also add some more fairness into the draft as some of those that have been drafting over the last 48-hrs have had an opportunity to see Round 0 games and make some, lets say more informed decisions on players, than others. In other words, if I had known Naismith was that much of a :spud: I would never have selected him:spew:
    But that is my problem.... Hopefully no-one's feelings are too offended and we can get back on track and look forward to an enjoyable year of fantasy footy.
    Oh, and FWIW, I also think we should redraft Ruckmen every year because of their overall sparsity, but again, that's a particular 'my team' problem more so than a league issue, so tough shit for me I probably think.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stripey

No deal on the ruck thing, I just drafted Ethan Read and he’s going to pay off big time from 2028. :cool:

On the other matter I feel like the main issue is people knowing when their turn is up and the poor notifications from the site.. we could look at alternative ways to do this. WhatsApp, text, etc

• Like Like x 2
  5. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

A whatsapp group might be a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JoshyC

JoshyC Well-Known Member

What works really well in other 18 team draft leagues I am in is a 1 ruck only rule. It really does help even it out. We could modify it slightly to suit like only 1 listed ruck at the start of each psd/msd draft for example, or something similar. Worthy of discussion IMO

• Like Like x 1
  7. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

Damn you @thokash :confused:

8. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

Haha sorry mate! The Norf handcuff was always on especially when I saw Green and Edwards go back to back

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

As someone who has been fairly badly effected by the ruck shortage over the years (bloody Tom Boyd in particular) I'm generally against putting limits on it now as I'm hoping my luck is starting to turn now but good discussion point either way.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Iain

Wait, I thought we always had 4 emergencies, which meant one line without cover?

I'm pretty sure this was the case as for a few years there I thought myself really clever when there was an early game during the week and a partial lockout I would pick two players from the early game and put them on the I/C meaning I could cover all other lines and knew the I/C guys were going to play.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheTassieHawk

Only 2 of the 18 sides have submitted a team, the earlier everyone does this the better in terms of avoiding major last minute team submission problems.

They can always be tweaked leading into lockout.

12. Iain

Team entry for the week appears to be locked out for me, with the countdown timer to round 1 set at -199 days.

13. Iain

And just on the topic of rucks the Quolls exemplary list of past champions include: Robbie Warnock (one of the best tap ruckmen in the league, unfortunately also one of the worst footballers), Shaun Hampson, Charlie Dixon, Mark Blicavs (traded before he became good), Matt Flynn (traded before he became ok), Tom Boyd, Shaun Grigg (he counts, right?), Max Lynch, Andrew Phillips, Mabior Chol, Caleb Graham, Keegan Brooksby, Archie Smith, Zach Smith and Tom Campbell.

I can't be bothered going back any further as even I don't know who half these players are. Suffice to say, if I finally get a playing ruck (or even two) who isn't a total spud and then get limited in being able to keep project rucks for the future on the list I will be considerably miffed.

14. TheTassieHawk

I think a League admin needs to select which match of round 1 is lockout, ie Carlton vs Richmond or a later game ?

• Like Like x 1
  15. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

Yeah it would be difficult to change the ruck rules in a fair way to be honest so I don't think it would really be doable. Maybe not allowing rucks to be played on the interchange might prevent hoarding of premium rucks and encourage a handcuff style scenario. The other thing that maybe we could consider is going down to 16 teams in the competition, I think one of the other comps has recently done that?

16. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I've set it to the start of Friday's game now, @stripey do you want that or the start of Saturday? There is no Monday so the only "oddity" is Thursday

• Like Like x 1
  17. snoz

snoz Moderator

@Len.....can you make it start of Saturday's game so I can see final teams Friday night ?

18. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

That's my prefernce also mate, but it's a @stripey call

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  19. stripey

I’m happy for it to be after the Friday team announcements

20. TheTassieHawk

Friday night is after the team announcements but that is middle of the night in New York, hence why the early Saturday game works best for Snoz.

• Like Like x 1