ORFFU 2023 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, Aug 23, 2022.

1. ddsaints

ddsaints Well-Known Member

I’ve obviously missed all the excitement and drama
    It’s a real shame to see insider go.

My thoughts on trading regarding my list. For anyone that cares
    The players I would trade no body wants
    The players I won’t ever trade are what everyone wants
    And the riff raff in between I’ve kind of grown attached to
    I was all for trading a few seasons back, but after that got me no where I decided to try build a youthful list through smart draft picks.
    From time to time I consider trades but the players I would trade no one wants
    So I decided to go this route for now….
    I’m actually really enjoying watching my list develop and mature over the last 3/4 seasons to the point of I made finals last season and had a reasonable overall score.
    Don’t get me wrong if I see a trade offer I like I always have a think but just haven’t pulled the trigger recently
    Past trading mistakes also factors into my decision making, which can scare me away sometimes

Ty’s psychology explanation was on the money. Smart man

• Like Like x 7
  2. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

Do we know for certain that insider is gone for good? If so, obviously we need to put the call out for a new coach. I don't know the details of what upset him but I assume someone has made contact with him since?

Personally I find it a bit extreme that some get so worked up about a fantasy footy comp. Don't get me wrong, things like honesty and integrity and being respectful to others are important in any situation and worth making a stand over. But things like someone going a little over a deadline, or a misunderstanding or dispute about a rule interpretation, to me just aren't worth getting upset about. We do this for fun. We've all got far more important things going on in our lives than the ORFFU. Maybe just take a deep breath and think does this really effect my life in any significant way? It's just a bit of fun

• Like Like x 4
  3. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

He may still come back, it has nothing to do someone going over a timeline etc. A few of us have been in contact. Give it a couple of days.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

Ararat doesn’t have a pick until 38 I think, so a the rate we’re going that’s still 3-4 days if he changes his mind.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

I was just speaking generally about coaches getting grumpy sometimes. I assumed this was more about to do with trade negotiations. Happy to give it some time, I was just wondering where things stood.

• Like Like x 1
  6. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

Is this our slowest draft ever?

Four days to get through the first round!

• Like Like x 1
  7. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

Yep, it appears some coaches are looking at different strategies regarding draft picks and trying to trade out or back in the field.

8. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

Like fuckin Lazarus i'm back from the dead.
    Thanks to the handful of blokes who reached out outside the forum and expressed their support and wishes for me to come back. Very humbling to know I contribute in some small way to others happiness.

• Like Like x 3
  9. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

You know what @Tylo, I had a whole rant written out for you about how you’ve got no idea what people are going through, what they need as an outlet and what they deem important. About how it’s ludicrous that you deem yourself the grand arbiter of when people are allowed to get upset and all sorts of other bits and pieces.

I wrote it last night and decided to sleep on it and I’m glad I did, because this morning after the gym I had an epiphany: I really don’t care what you think.

There are 15 or 16 great blokes in this league, and 2 or 3 questionable ones. The overwhelming majority who contribute, write match reports, trade, get involved in banter and enjoy each other’s e-company. There are even a few who have met ‘in real life’ which has been wonderful. This is the main reason why the FU is so important to a lot of us, and also why you wouldn’t understand as you contribute very little to the forums and the relationships that others have developed.

Don’t be mistaken, this isn’t criticism, it’s just fact. You are 110% entitled to take whatever approach you wish and I certainly don’t hold that against you.

It simply explains why you don’t understand the importance of our community and why some get upset when injustices, perceived or real, happen.

• Like Like x 6
  10. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Guess who's back, shady's back, back again....

• Like Like x 2
  11. ddsaints

ddsaints Well-Known Member

Good to have you back insider
    “15-16 great blokes and 2-3 questionable ones”
    As every coach tries to do the sums…..o_O

• Like Like x 1
  12. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

LOL!

13. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

Just wanted to get this out there.

I am an ORFFU tragic!

I reckon I still visit the site twice a day in the AFL off season; I’m never off.

I send trade requests pretty much once our finals finish, I can’t help myself.

I know there are others who may only check in every now and then, each to their own, there are definitely varying degrees of “too seriousness”

:D

• Like Like x 4
  14. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

Ha. Ok champ. I'd hate to see how long the full rant went for. I hope it makes you feel better. Hopefully in a few months you won't be blowing up about something else.

I was just pointing out that this is meant to be enjoyable. I'm no arbiter, obviously how you live your life is up to you. If you think it's worth making a fuss every time something doesn't go your way, feel free.

As you say, the vast majority here are pretty reasonable. 18 people with different pov who put their opinions out and most are happy to go with the majority decision. It does seem when there's drama about something though, it usually involves you.

Occasionally I cruise the forums of other ORFFs and they don't seem to have drama. Maybe it happens when I'm not looking but there seems to be a camaraderie and playfulness that's missing here, which to me is because a small few think this is for sheep stations and are really quick to jump on anyone they think has done 'wrong'. To me, it's an unnecessary tension and it's part of the reason I don't engage as much anymore. Life's too short to spend it dealing with difficult people.

15. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

I think we know who we are ;) (don't worry it's not you)

16. Wolffy84

Wolffy84 Well-Known Member

Better odds than usual for myself :rolleyes:

17. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

18. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Friendly reminder gentlemen, that we're all here because of our love for Fantasy Footy.

Let's go back to making fun of each other's respective ORFFU sides and AFL teams please.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Wolffy84

Wolffy84 Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment in this 100%. I'm usually around throughout the off-season as well. Great opportunity to get trades done without any time pressure.

Having taken over a squad that needed a rebuild, I've landed more on the side of trading over drafting. Good to know exactly who you are getting, and it's a lot of fun chatting to the other coaches. But that's just my view and doesn't mean it's the correct one.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ron swanson

ron swanson Well-Known Member

Spies reporting that Panthers board have been seen touring areas of WA for possible new home for the team

• Like Like x 5