ORFFU 2023 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, Aug 23, 2022.

1. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 4
  2. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

An updated link for the 2023 FW Free Agents list (for a guide if needed) minus end of 2022 retirees/delisted players
    - note some DB issues exist after the 2023 rollover - ie anyone with "duplicate" in their name could potentially be listed and will need to be checked before being selected
    - note also teams will not have been adding draftees in TS Leagues and non 1st year players may also have been selected in the draft but not yet added in TS Leagues
    - possibly missing some SSP players but some of those were likely signed after your draft started in any case

http://tooserious.net/forum/stats.p...gueTeamId=FA&tsLeagueId=10&sort=ave&desc=desc

• Like Like x 5
  3. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

Hey Coaches,
    Sorry for the delay, there was some trade negotiation happening that took a bit of time to go through.

• Like Like x 1
  4. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

@JPK With preseason games starting this weekend, I feel we need to hurry the draft along so there are no unfair advantages for us who have not finished yet.

Happy to call this out, even though I’d be one of the coaches that would benefit if we’re not finished by Friday.

• Like Like x 2
  5. YAD69

Unfortunately this is what happens when you have trading through the draft.

6. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

If that is the case, i propose we move the draft date back to it's original date or remove trading during the draft. I find it disrespectful to the coaches who have picks after those who wish to take the maximum time allowed. We all have lives to get back too, the constant checking to see if its your turn is time consuming. I may be in the minority , just my thoughts

• Like Like x 1
  7. YAD69

@bryzza

Fully agree, I was one of those minority when it was originally proposed. It also a pain to keep track of who got which pick. Anyway, it is what it is, put it on the agenda for discussion.

• Like Like x 2
  8. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

I like the in-draft trading, makes it more like the big boys.

I’d be more inclined to suggest a decrease in the time allowed to take a pick. I know this would maybe make it tougher for some, but it may also help speed up negotiations, or even better, coaches present their best offer straight up and reduce the haggling to a simple yes or no.

• Like Like x 5
  9. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

We clearly need a solution. A discussion point for during the year. We'll check our performance against our KPI's, take in one week at a time, and give 110% in everything we do.

Maybe we start the draft when the pre season games start. Most of the top 10 picks follow closely to the AFL top 10, so I doubt there'd be much movement there. It only really gets interesting and variable after about pick 20, when some smokies really start appearing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. ron swanson

ron swanson Well-Known Member

I play in a few NFL dynasty leagues and they all do their rookie drafts 2 weeks after the NFL draft. The rookie draft is done and dusted before all the training camp scuttlebut starts.
    If we followed a similar path we could add a supplemental draft at the end of preseason where everyone has the chance to drop one player and pick up a free agent from the pool which gives you a chance to cover any inefficiencies in your team structure.
    I think this would increase trading of players during the preseason too, we all get twitchy adjusting our classic teams a thousand times and coming up with ORFFU trades is a welcome distraction!

• Like Like x 3
  11. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

That sounds like it works for the NFL with the Draft held in May/June, when all the footy tragics in Oz, are up and about.

Would it work for the AFL (ORFFU) to hold our Draft in December, when most of our coaches have switched off soon as the GF in Sept. is done and dusted, and don't seem to re-appear til the end of Jan when the kids go back to school.
    This year our 1st Trade was on 6th Oct and the 2nd trade on the 27th Jan....sort of backs up what I'm trying to say....
    I would like to see our PS Draft either finalised prior to Pre-season games (as is done now) or held in the 9-10 days following the final P-S game and before the 1st Round in the AFL....which would require a substantial decrease in the time allowed to take one's pick....probably as low as either 4 or 6 hrs, and even possibly back to no trading during the draft.......

Only throwing this out there to get every Coach to give their thoughts..

Being retired and with all kids having flown the coop, I don't mind which way we go, but do think 12 hrs to take a pick is a bit much.

12. ddsaints

ddsaints Well-Known Member

My only preference is next time we draft can we have a free agent list available
    Was a little hard without it this year.
    No stress I managed to pick up a couple of players I wanted anyway but maybe next time it would help us all

My opinion on draft, set a date in stone each season Jan something, then we all know and can prepare.
    I like the idea of drafting before games start

13. ddsaints

ddsaints Well-Known Member

On another note
    Yay for Blicavs….finally gets the ruck status I’ve been hoping for
    Only taken about 5 seasons but he eventually got it……
    I thought it would never happen.

• Like Like x 2
  14. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a 2nd draft after all preseason games are finished. Of course we would need rules around like draft order no moving picks around, no trades, use it or lose pick. Only worry is it may dilute the MSD and this draft probably only helps button teams but that's ok

15. Wolffy84

Wolffy84 Well-Known Member

I like the current setup where our PSD is an opportunity for coaches to draft a combination of:
    • New draftees
    • Free agents who impressed post the prior seasons MSD
    • Free agents who 'may' be obtaining better SC scoring roles in the upcoming season
    My emphasis is on 'may' above, as I feel decisions in keeper leagues should involve a level of speculation, so I'm also in favour of trying to complete the PSD prior to pre-season matches. But this combination PSD allows coaches to choose their own destiny based on where they feel their squads are coming into the new season. It's also this speculation that gives weight to the MSD. The later the PSD is, the less relevance the MSD is likely to have.

The only change I'd like to see is slightly reducing the pick time limit (maybe 8 hours) and enforcing the rule. We've had a number of picks exceed 12 hours in this draft. I have no issue with live in-draft pick trading, as long as it can be completed on time, and coaches are aware they will be allocated the highest draftee available if their (8?) hours expires. Hopefully this change alone would be enough to encourage coaches to trade pre-draft, when they have more time to discuss, rather than wait until they are on the clock in the draft.

• Like Like x 4
  16. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

7 picks left including my 3. I don't have Kayo or anything to look at the preseason games. So I'll be looking at my spreadsheet this afternoon to see who I'll pick for my last 3. Did we start later than usual?
    Anyway, it looks like we will finish just before the preseason games.

17. Batfink

Batfink Well-Known Member

Are you giving yourself 12 hours between picks?!?!

• Like Like x 1
  18. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

Nah. I prefer not to keep myself waiting :p

• Like Like x 4
  19. YAD69

Hey Coaches,
    I'll get the MSD 2023 and the PSD 2024 draft tables updated tonight for all to check for any mistakes.

• Like Like x 5
  20. ron swanson

ron swanson Well-Known Member

The Panthers board would like to announce the relocation of the team from Pearcedale to Carnamah for the 2023 season. It is with a heavy heart that the team will be leaving Pearcedale behind and heading west. Carnamah holds personal significance for the CEO of the team and he is excited to make a small connection to his history. The Cormorants will bring an extremely young team to Carnamah and it is hoped that the locals will enjoy being part of the development journey.

The board wishes to thank Pawnee Indiana for their spirited pitch however the extensive travel required for away games was deemed to be too prohibitive on team performance.

• Like Like x 12