ORFFU 2023 Finals

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by wrightbrendan, Aug 4, 2023.

1. wrightbrendan

wrightbrendan Well-Known Member

Before we arrive at the '23 finals series, we need to discover who will be there! Below are all the possibilities that the final round holds

Top Spot
    @insider and his Armadillos have this one wrapped up. A super impressive season that has seen only 2 losses for the boys from Ararat will have them selecting their week 1 finals opponent first.

The rest of the top 4
    Serengeti are currently in 2nd spot and a game clear of the chasing pack. Although not as strong in the points for column, a final round matchup against Hughenden should keep them safely locked away. @bryzza has his Vikings humming and are too good to drop out of 3rd which leaves Pakenham, Cow Bay & Korumburra the live chances to grab the final spot.
    @ddsaints holds the whip hand as the Parasites currently occupy 4th spot with a final round matchup against bottom of the table Eden. @fresh's Crocs will be lurking as they should take care of the Cormorants while @Mick will have a tough time to get his Blowflys any higher as they take on long time sparring partners, Ararat.

7th spot
    If the Blowflys can't cause an upset, @YAD69 has a free hit to try and get his Barracudas up from their current 7th position. Knowing they can't drop any lower, Groote Eylandt can go all out to try and topple the Huskies in their final round matchup and if they can get the win as well as outscore the Blowflys by 242 points in a Korrumburra loss, they'll jump up to 6th and the Blowflys drop to 7th.

The final spot for the finals
    This is where things get really interesting, and we wouldn't have it any other way.
    Keep in mind ORFFU fans, contrary to published data, Staghorn Flat currently sit in 8th spot on 8 wins just above the Barcrawlers who have donated a win back to Southern Cross and Christmas Island. Waiting in the background are Blanchetown and Coolgardie, one win further back on 7. It is a 5 horse race for one final spot so who is going to take it?

Sorry Prospector fans, it's not going to be you in season '23. @JPK's boys are too far back in the points for column to overtake the teams ahead of them. What they do have the opportunity to do though is throw a real spanner in the works for @tyze1 and his Bulls. Staghorn currently hold this 8th spot and with a strong points scoring record across the year, know that a win will mean they will play finals. They'll need to get past a strong Prospector outfit to do it though in a matchup separated by less than 40 points on average scoring over the last 4 weeks.

That gives @choppers & @DamoH real hope. Although well behind on scoring, given they are both already on an equal amount of 8 wins, they'll only need to win their final round matchups to steal that final spot should the Bulls slip up. We say 'only' need to win but for the Smugglers that isn't going to happen as they run into a red hot Vikings team while suffering from a significant form slump themselves. Banchang has a much more winnable game against King Island.

That leaves the Bunyips with only the slightest of chances of sneaking in. @martyg will need to see a Coolgardie victory over Staghorn as well as losses for both Christmas Island and Banchang as well as ensuring his Bunyips take care of Southern Cross. Not impossible but unlikely which will be unfotunate given the Bunyips are probably playing as well as anyone outside the top 4 teams right now. A costly loss in a winnable game against the Blowflys in round 19 looks like it will haunt the Blanchetown boys until regrouping for next year.

Conclusion
    The top 7 is set with only some minor shuffling possible but the race for 8th is on.

Staghorn have the best chance at snaring the final remaining spot to play finals but will need to beat Coolgardie while Banchang are the ones most likely to overtake given any slip up with Blanchetown the dark horse if any final round shenanigans are thrown into the mix.

Best of luck to all involved!

• Like Like x 12
  2. wrightbrendan

So here we are, Finals 2023!

In a round of a few upsets, some low scores, a couple of close escapes and plenty of action, we have made it to the pointy end of the season. Here is how things panned out.

1st Ararat. Flexed their muscles and did what was needed. Coming into the finals in red hot form.
    2nd Nuytsland. Took care of business against lower ranked opposition and jumped up to 2nd.
    3rd Serengeti. Couldn't do the same as Nuytsland, losing to Hughenden but did score enough to stay above Pakenham.
    4th Pakenham. Just fell over the line against Eden but the low score meant they stay 4th.
    5th Cow Bay. Another to have a lucky escape in what ended up being an inconsequential game anyway.
    6th Korrumburra. Fell to the might of Ararat but did enough to hold off Groote for 6th place
    7th Groote Eylandt. Strong victory to head into finals for the perennial chalenger.
    8th Staghorn Flat. Slammed the door shut on all chasers with an impressive close out to the season.

A strong group of contenders this year with all teams showing high end scoring capability at different times. Team selections will be critical, injuries will play a role but in the end, the best team will take it out! May need to wait for official confirmation on the finishing positions before matchup selections but once they are out, match previews will follow.

Best of luck to the 2023 ORFFU finalists!

• Like Like x 7
  3. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Sliding Doors - ORRFU Finals edition.

Ararat
    IF...

Coach @insider is to continue his fantastic 2023 form
    Then...
    He will need to make the GF. Anything less will be a big, fat, failure on their stellar season. When they make the GF all eyes will be on Taylor Walker to kick at least 10 goals and seal the deal.

Nuytsland
    IF...

Coach @bryzza is to run deep in the finals
    Then...
    It will be on the back of his middle men. Tim English dominating the ruck and tapping down to Petracca, Libba, Warner and Mitchell. When they are on, they are on and will be hard to stop throughout the finals.

Serengeti
    IF...

Coach @wrightbrendan is to take out the 2023 title
    Then...
    He will need his forward line to go large. Toby Greene will continue to be a pest and score well, but it will be on the backs of Jezza Cameron, Joe Daniher and Bailey Smith to really step up and dominate the forward line.

Pakenham
    IF...

Coach @ddsaints is to progress past week one
    Then...
    He will have to be very astute at the selection table. Blicavs is still out but has commenced running and is part of the reconditioning program. Cerra is out for 2-3 weeks with a low grade hamstring injury. He has a few options to select from and making the right decisions and those players performing will be the difference to lasting past week one.

• Like Like x 9
  4. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Sliding Doors - ORRFU Finals edition continued

Cow Bay
    IF...

Coach @fresh is to do his Crocs proud
    Then...
    He better hope that Scrimshaw, Sheezel, Worpel and Bailey Williams have saved their best for last. They will all need to go large and be in charge to get the wins in the finals.

Korumburra
    IF...

Coach @Mick is to win the 2023 title
    Then...
    He will need a Nick Daicos miracle. The superstar is out for the next 6 weeks and barring the coaching staff pullling off some kind of medical miracle, then its all over red rover for Korumburra in 2023.

Groote Eylandt
    IF...

Coach @YAD69 is to make an impact in this finals series
    Then...
    He will need Brodie Grundy to play from the Interchange and go large. They also need Crippa to step up and lead his team and wind back the clock to his round 12 2019 score of 194 to get his side home.

Staghorn Flat
    IF...

Coach @Tyze is to progress to the next round
    Then...
    He will need a total team effort. If the Bulls are on, then they are on. Brayshaw, Whitfield, Salem, Maynard, Parker, Newcombe, Mcluggage, Coniglio can all score well and if they all click at once, then they can knock anyone off.

Good luck for the finals gents!!

My predictions for round 1 (if the top 4 pick this way)

AA vs KB - AA Wins
    NV vs CFC - NV Wins
    SB vs GE - GE Wins
    PAKP vs SF - SF Wins in an upset

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 10
  5. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Vikings will do these boys proud as they head into greener pastors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

@insider is crunching the numbers, who will be your choice ? in fact is doesnt matter you have this in the bag. Tex to kick 10 against the eagles in the granny for you to romp it in

• Like Like x 2
  7. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

You forgot Laird dominating an under strength midfield.

The mind games begin :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

Hey @eagle_eyed did your team score from early on in the season ever get fixed up and what we see as the ladder is correct?
    One of the main reasons I ask is I've downloaded all the team scores for this year to update my historical file. I can't remember which match it was but I remember you saying that the result should've been reversed.

9. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

Rd1......SCS v Banchang.......Junior Rioli's score was not counted towards SCS score.........that should have been a win to SCS...........Rioli scored 126.
    Ladder should show BB on 9 wins and SCS on 4 and 126 should be added to SCS points for.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  10. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

Thank you muchly, will adjust it in my file.

11. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

I think I’ll take @tyze1

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  14. wrightbrendan

The Buff will invite @ddsaints and his Parasites over to Serengeti.

That leaves @YAD69 and @Mick to let their Barracudas and Blowflys battle it out in the last finals matchup.

Match previews for each of the finals to follow.

• Like Like x 2
  15. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

@JPK

Looks like the fixtures is set, if you can get it uploaded into tsleague, cheers

Week 1
    AA vs SFB
    NV vs COW
    SB vs PAKP
    KB vs GEB

• Like Like x 2
  16. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

Mate, there’s the win against BB and points for, in the first three rounds.

I’ll update my sheet and post it so you can see.

17. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

I might have to do that tonight when I get home, as I don't have the 2023 season file on my computer, and don't want to break everything by uploading just the finals
    (in previous years I have just added extra lines at the bottom of the regular fixture for the finals, so that it keeps all the history - not sure if just a straight upload will break all the history and cause problems!!!)

18. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

@JPK - my understanding is that by re-uploading prior round fixtures the matches already in the system are wiped, ie scores set to zero, but no impact on ladders etc which remain as part of the previous round rollover information.

So when uploading finals fixtures I only ever add in the new round of 1/2/4 matches, which has to date worked fine. As far as I know that is what @That KI Guy did for the Triple F earlier this week but he can confirm if needed.

19. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Yep have always just created new csv for finals
    Can do FU if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

Go for it mate, we’re not too proud to ask for help. Many hands make light work!
    Appreciate the offer.

• Like Like x 1