Our mate Graeme

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Aug 25, 2015.

1. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you mate. I hope you have a 22 year old nurse with a dress 2 sizes too small for her and triple D breasts to assist your recovery.

2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Bandit wrote:
    Hope it all goes well mate, going forward pinot is to be swilled under a wide brimmed hat! First prize for best comment.

3. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

Best wishes Graeme. I'm sure everything will go well :)

4. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Sympathy and commiserations dulcet cello. Don't surgeons in NZ have watches? Why do they have to operate on AEST?

5. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

Chels shoots, he Scores! Stay strong and enjoy the pharmaceuticals.

6. graeme

graeme Guest

Thanks for all the positive energy - it made a difference and I got discharged ahead of time. The surgeon described the operation as 'unremarkable' a term many of us could apply to the recent performances of our fantasy teams! Now the wait for the histology. High point was seeing the online material from Menzel's comeback game - the recent Cow's recruit was inspirational.

7. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Graeme, it is magnificent that the operation went well, good luck with the histology. Menzel's game was incredible, after close to four years out he's reading of the play was incredible and he provided several highlights with his goals and a spectacular mark. Hopefully Menzel can now have an injury-free run for the Cats and the Cows.

8. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear from you chels ? Menzel was really good. Great pick up there. Hopefully he can stay free of injuries

9. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

graeme wrote:
    Thanks for all the positive energy - it made a difference and I got discharged ahead of time. The surgeon described the operation as 'unremarkable' a term many of us could apply to the recent performances of our fantasy teams! Now the wait for the histology. High point was seeing the online material from Menzel's comeback game - the recent Cow's recruit was inspirational. Great to hear that things went well Graeme - the use of 'unremarkable' is rather unremarkable except when talking about medical matters such as these! As for Menzel mate - wow. Absolutely inspirational. Geelong spent the evening finding new ways to get absolutely belted by the Pies and yet no-one could take eyes of young Daniel. Goals, speccy marks - really really top notch. Get well mate.

10. snoz

snoz Moderator

I have mixed feelings.............very happy for the young Kiwi (who by the way owes me an email!).......but I guess Fyfe to Hops is now off the table. :( :)

11. graeme

graeme Guest

Let me tell you how good a person Simon is - I asked him to manage my SC team in the petite final of ORFFA SC. Thanks to his skill thekids went alright. Who did we beat? SnoZ's own team. What a good guy. Not only does he risk his own life for strangers but sacrifices 'personal glory' for a fellow ORFFAN. You rock mate.

12. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

graeme wrote:
    Let me tell you how good a person Simon is - I asked him to manage my SC team in the petite final of ORFFA SC. Thanks to his skill thekids went alright. Who did we beat? SnoZ's own team. What a good guy. Not only does he risk his own life for strangers but sacrifices 'personal glory' for a fellow ORFFAN. You rock mate. That's lovely.

13. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

graeme wrote:
    Let me tell you how good a person Simon is - I asked him to manage my SC team in the petite final of ORFFA SC. Thanks to his skill thekids went alright. Who did we beat? SnoZ's own team. What a good guy. Not only does he risk his own life for strangers but sacrifices 'personal glory' for a fellow ORFFAN. You rock mate. Talking about ORFFA supercoach, first game I lose all year... the grand final.... real stiff hahaha Good to hear the surgery all went well!

14. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

Good to hear it went well for you G. Better use the SPF50 next time you go after the snapper. I'm a bit worried that such a goody two shoes like Snoz is in charge of button pressing.

15. grav

grav Guest

graeme wrote:
    Let me tell you how good a person Simon is - I asked him to manage my SC team in the petite final of ORFFA SC. Thanks to his skill thekids went alright. Who did we beat? SnoZ's own team. What a good guy. Not only does he risk his own life for strangers but sacrifices 'personal glory' for a fellow ORFFAN. You rock mate. Who the hell is Simon? Sounds like someone jostling for media notoriety, good guy accolades and hero status. Keep your (so-called) friends close there Graeme. btw - good to hear the op went well

16. snoz

snoz Moderator

Good luck in the Granny this week G Man.........cough*cough* :)

17. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Fitzy wrote:
    graeme wrote:
    Let me tell you how good a person Simon is - I asked him to manage my SC team in the petite final of ORFFA SC. Thanks to his skill thekids went alright. Who did we beat? SnoZ's own team. What a good guy. Not only does he risk his own life for strangers but sacrifices 'personal glory' for a fellow ORFFAN. You rock mate. Talking about ORFFA supercoach, first game I lose all year... the grand final.... real stiff hahaha Good to hear the surgery all went well! No point being minor premiers Fitzy ;)

18. grav

grav Guest

Simonoz wrote:
    Good luck in the Granny this week G Man.........cough*cough* :) Nuke-laced karma coughs designed for maximum impact. Well placed mate, i'm now the raging underdog :/

19. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

It is time to revive this thread and bring, those who are interested, up to date.

We left me in late 2015 feeling pretty chipper. Things went pretty well and in October 2017 Radiation Oncology decided I should have an x-ray of my lungs as a final check before discharging me as an outpatient. Had the scan on a pleasant Tuesday afternoon. Thursday morning the radiation oncologist rings to say "Sorry mate you've got some marks in you lungs." Best we do a CT Scan of the lungs.

Had that, a medical oncologist said " It's not looking good, we need a MRI Scan of your brain as the two are inter-related." So late November I get told "you have multiple metastatic melanomas in your lungs and your brain." Metastatic means the original melanoma has spread to a new site. No longer chipper. Stage 4 cancer - there is no stage 5. In the 2018 PSD the cows did not recruit any rookies as I did not think I would see them develop.

Friday the 8th of December I had me first infusion of Pembrolizumab (better known by the brand name Keytruda). Three weeks later infusion two, followed by an infusion every three weeks. My SC Team name changed from "the kidsarealright" to the "pembro pirates." Blood test every 3 weeks. CT and MRI scans every 3 months. By Mid-2018 I was so lethargic I could manage less than 2 hours of a 3 hour bridge session. The scans showed reductions in the melanomas. The largest, in my lungs, had shrunk from 25mm long to 6mm long. Started to feel a bit, (but not much) brighter in early-mid 2019. The images showed fewer and fewer melanomas. Then finally none. I dared to hope.

On the 22 November I had my 34th infusion. On the 12th December I had a CT scan. Yesterday, the oncologist "the scans indicate you are completely clear." The report read "unremarkable." Guess what my SC team will be called next year? Next scan in March. Some 15% - 20% who start on the drug come out after 2 years completely clear. Apparently, 95% of those who do 2 years on pembro and come out completely clear are still clear in 18 months. That's all the data they have. "Why me?", I asked. "You were lucky."

Three or four of you know what I was going through. To them - thank you for being so supportive. If I was bit cranky during the last couple of years (and I know I was) please realise there were times I was just so depressed and despairing.

There is a lot more that went on. I can give detail privately to anyone who would like it to better understand what parents, siblings, or friends are going through. Some other ORFFAN's are undergoing cancer treatment. Please support them if they choose to share details.

• Like Like x 9