Players with interrupted Preseasons

Discussion in 'AFL' started by jibba, Feb 5, 2012.

1. scanners

scanners New Member

Jibba, You have Zaharakis on that first list? What is the go there?

2. jibba

jibba Member

I've only seen the report on Bigpond Sport
    http://www.bigpondsport.com/dream-team-builder-david-zaharakis/tabid/91/newsid/82816/default.aspx

Not sure how reliable it is but to quote
    "Zaharakis played every game last year despite knee tendinitis which left him unable to run for three days after each match day. The injury has also affected his pre-season. He spent most of November lifting weights, and only hit the track to test out his knee in December. Even with the rehab-focused running, he pronounced himself sorer than he had been in any of his previous three years at the club."

3. scanners

scanners New Member

Thanks heaps, had a pretty good season last year considering.

4. jibba

jibba Member

Michael Barlow seems to be a popular pick in preseason teams this year but this could be a word of warning
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/12934636/barlow-s-leg-still-sore/

He could miss up to three weeks of pre-season matches as the Dockers adopt a safety-first approach with his rebuilt left leg.

"He has got some soreness in his leg," football manager Chris Bond said last night.

"It is nothing major. We are expecting to take things easy with him for two to three weeks.

With this 'soreness' it could come back during the actual season causing him to miss games?

5. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Max Gawn thinking the same thing stephen ;)

6. Corks

Corks Member

Is there any recent word on Roughead? Last I heard he was likely to play early in the year, if not Round 1.

7. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Still the case Corks, there is some talk about him coming back through the VFL but he is targeting being fit and available for round 1.

8. Corks

Corks Member

Thanks NTS. Will keep him in my prelim squad then - think he'll be a top 6-7 forward this year.

9. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I guess we need to add Dylan Shiel to this list... Not sure why Treloar didn't play either, anyone know?

10. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Just pulled Lake off my team got a little worried as the WB are not looking good in the pre-season start. I put in Tarrant so I hope that was a wise move......

11. jibba

jibba Member

How serious is Shiels? Is he not lining up for Round 1?

12. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Hard to say with Shiels, but the moon-boot he was in isn't a great sign. I've heard he will be having scans on his foot this week. I'm not even sure how it happened? Can anyone shed some light?

13. PopeySFC

PopeySFC New Member

Porps set to miss NAB cup match this week after gathering a severe corked calf.

14. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from PopeySFC on February 20, 2012, 10:30
    Porps set to miss NAB cup match this week after gathering a severe corked calf. </blockquote>

I wouldn't worry too much about Porps, has been training solidly since late last season, he could've even lined up for Adelaide in last few games of 2011.

Has got a solid fitness base behind him and has been running rings around most of the squad all pre-season, a bit of a corky won't affect him and he'll be right to go come R1.

15. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

RE: Porps - is everything getting caught up with a whole "cheap more-experienced player" a la Otten, or does Porps have some serious scoring potential? I never remember him being a great player fantasy wise but maybe my memory is clouded....

16. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Porps averaged about 86 in 2008 & around 87 in '09 - but the prospect of him seeing a fair bit of time in the middle is one reason to keep him in mind, plus the fact he is probably Adelaide's best goal-kicker should see him average similar, if not more, in 2012.

17. Dun1

Dun1 Member

The concern with Porps is his shoulder. Likely to pop out with his first tackle. Last thing you want is a bloke go off in the first minute of the game. I'll be steering clear.

18. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Porps is the Petrie of 2012. Must have at his price. If he averages 70 then he's done his job.

19. jibba

jibba Member

^Completely agree with StKilda here
    As opposed to the backline (ie: Otten), there are usually not many decent rookies in the forward line.
    This is why porps at his price is a very good option.
    I think Porps + 1 rookie on the field is probably a wise decision.

20. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Thank you, great chat. Just put Props in my side. Cheers lads.