Players with interrupted Preseasons

Discussion in 'AFL' started by jibba, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Nifty

Nifty Member

Hi Thunda.. is there anywhere i can find my last years results & is there a chance i can join the tooserious league?? Nifty

2. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from stkildathunda on February 20, 2012, 15:13
    Porps is the Petrie of 2012. Must have at his price. If he averages 70 then he's done his job.</blockquote>

A 70 average and he'd by Rd14 he'd only make you $110k, whereas Hampton could get you $180k with a 60 average. From a cash cow perspective he's not that good. Not sure I follow the logic of him being like Petrie either, he more or less turned out a premium not a cash cow.

3. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

If you had to have one of them on the field over the first 14 rounds though, that extra 10ppg adds up.

4. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Porps will definitely average more than 70 solely due to the fact Sanderson has flagged alot more mid-field time for him - he's been the hardest working player at Adelaide over the pre-season.

5. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I agree with portleschenault – financially it just doesn’t make sense. If a forward rookie like Hampton averages only 60 (conservatively) he would make 166k by his round 11 bye, porps would have to average 84 just to make the same amount by the bye, pretty big ask in my opinion and that’s assuming he doesn’t get injured.

Obviously if he has a massive NAB campaign and looks like averaging in the 90’s...I’ll re-weigh the risks and probably get him, but at this stage I’m sticking with a “rookie”

6. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

@ Port

I dont expect him to average 70, more like 80 and as Jason said those 10-15 points over bargain basement rookie is invaluable over the long run.

You might "make" $70K less but are you forgetting the extra $$$ already in bank from buying Porps. Downgrading him to another rookie will mean you still end up with same amount of $$$$

Did anyone think Petrie would be a keeper last year? Highly doubt it, both their stats are almost identical. Both are dirt cheap for what they have put up in past.

7. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

@ NTS

Id rather bank the extra 200-300 points that Porps will get you then the extra $40K you might save (or gain) by starting a rookie WITHOUT any job security.

8. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Yeah, agree about the added job security stkildathunda, but don't forget the extra 120k extra you have in the bank to start with you could turn a premium like Hodge into an elitle like pendles and also give you roughly the same 200 odd points difference.

9. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Moral of the story, for total points across the year, it is better to start Pendlebury on the field R1 over Hodge and Porplyzia over random rookie FWD. (This assumes that each player scores their expected 2012 return and doesn't do a Barlow-2010 or a Hayes-2011.)

But if the two players being compared are both going to be on your staring bench and stay there most of the year, then go for the cheaper starting player.

10. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Porps only needs a few 80-90 scores and his price will jump high. It's less about average and more about what he can do in the first 8 rounds.

Let's look
    Gold Coast nomnom
    Doggies nomnom
    Hawthorn rankings hit
    GWS nomnomnom
    Port nomnom
    Sydney away rank hit
    Geelong rank hit
    Carlton rank hit
    Collingwood rank hit

So he might be the one for the first upgrade/downgrade at round 7 or so. Because you don't want necessarily to keep him when he has the Geel-Carl-Coll combo filtering through his points.

Porp means spend a little more to start to get more points to start to upgrade quicker; or at least that's what I would think the plan for him will be.

11. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Thats a pretty good point Lucas I hadn't looked into his early run.

12. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I thought the same thing! Somethings definitely up!