Position Focus - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Scupper

Scupper New Member

Hello, "Goddard" "Grimes" Delidio Broughton Ottens Wood Hepple: bench Mckernan Duigan Puopolo, good variety all capable of great scores and good MPP options any dissenting arguments or ridicule would be nice. of course could all be altered by 24th March HaHaHa. " keepers.

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Easton Wood has been touted to get more space and time in the backline this year, in the sort of role that Jarrod Harbow used to fill for the Dogs. If he is suited to this role, you would have to think that his potential to increase in scoring is there. How much potential, is another question.

For me, I'm not sold that there is enough potential for more than 5ppg perhaps. Wood is still pretty green and could do with some more summers in the gym probably too.

3. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Agree with you Jason on that one.

It's strange not to see too many defensive smoky players, but I'm thinking this year there are lots in that 85-95 range, some great rookies and not really that much in between.

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Hurn would be one that is in the midrange this year I guess.

Will be good to see how he handles the Pies press.

5. Scupper

Scupper New Member

Petrenko? Hurn is big money!

6. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Petrenko hurt me last year. Big time.

In fact he hurt so many people, they used to give it to him every Thursday arvo during the Fantasy half hour with Luffy.

7. Jason

What chance that Heath Grundy can take another step in 2010? He certainly rose a level from 2009 to 2010.

Grundy is on my defensive watch list at the moment. Of course he is listed as a FWD too which makes him more interesting with Markovic also a likely player in my team.

Any thoughts from the swannies fans around here on Grundy?

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Eski's injury may have an interesting impact on Grundy's scoring, too.

9. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

Is Otten worth the extra cash? I know a lot of people have him locked in and I'm sure he will provide great value...but the extra 60-70k he costs compared to other rookies is the difference between a midpricer and a premium. I'm just wondering if he is worth the cash?

Especially as after round 1 I could have Heppell and Stanley on field, whereas if I had Otten I would have to bench one of them. On the other side of the coin though he isn't a rookie so he provides more job secuirty and a greater scoring potential...insights anyone?

10. Jason

At his 2011 starting price ($185,100), Andy Otten has been given a 50% discount on his 2009 average (76 ppg).

What does this mean? It means that if he plays in 2011 at his 2009 average (76ppg) you stand to make approximately $185,100, i.e. he will double in value from his start price.

11. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

...and Otten avg'd 76ppg in his rookie year in defence with the like of Goodwin, McLeod, Bock, & Johncock and will this year spend more time in the middle. Even if he doesn't there are some serious points avaiable with 3 of that list no longer around.

12. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Any takers on Josh Drummond? Priced at 401K down from 538K the year before because of injury. Breaks down more often than not I know, but he is still potentially a 100+ppg player as your D5. Took a risk with Malceski last year and it payed off....who knows.

13. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

@Morko

Personally, I tend to stay away from players who have an extensive injury history and have yet to play a preseason game.

Last year Sexy Mal had exposed preseason form, a history of lighting it up in SC and relatively low price tag of 250kish going for him.

Drummond has only one of those things on his side.

14. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

@Hornsy- Risk=Reward I suppose. I have him atm. Which makes for picking Chappy in the FWD line so hard I guess.

15. Corks

Corks Member

Agree Drummond tasty on past form, but I won't touch him till he's got a few games in the legs. Lake the same.

16. wal

wal New Member

Jamison likely suspended for the first two games is a poisoned chalice for defensive rookies. Watson will probably fill in and could well be left on the bubble if he doesn't excel. Duigan could even make way if other guys fire around him and they think they've got the flexibility to restructure. It creates a clouded opportunity.

17. Corks

Corks Member

Still keen on Duigan myself wal. Think he could be an early slaughter with a $150k profit.

Jack Grimes seems to be popular out there, and pre-season numbers are good. Thinking about freeing up some cash by downing Enright to Grimes in D5 position.

Anyone out there give me a line on Grimey? Don't know much about him.

18. wal

wal New Member

Grimes has had a good preseason and is touted as a future captain. Has a great upside, chance of injury is the only negative. I like Grimes to step up this year and can see him in the top backs if he stays fit.

19. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

My current backs ...(feedback thanks)

Goddard, Gibbs, Bruce, Deledio, Broughton,
    Grimes, Otten (Buckley, Markovic, Hibberd)

20. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

Got a question I am having trouble deciding on. Need to pick 2 out of the following 3 players.

Puopolo
    Duigan
    Batchelor

Which one do I leave out??