Position Focus - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

Lower is a lock now. Freo just made the application to elavate him to senior list.

2. Corks

Corks Member

Thanks General - top info. Bugger is defender rookies is not the real problem. Need to decide whether Lower, Puopolo, Duigan, Stanley, Tape, Buckley, Hibberd or Toy gets a gig. Hmmm, 2 more weeks, 2,000 more combo's to work out.

3. stowie

stowie Moderator

I've moved Goddard into the mids so I could sneak in an extra def rookie. A lot more to like down there over the other lines.

4. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Any love for Jamie Cripps, he's even been given R Harveys number, surely they wouldn't give that to a reserves regular??

5. Corks

Corks Member

@ stowie...not a bad idea. Defense does have some interesting potential, so maybe one more mid premium one more defense rookie. Let me see...

6. Buzzboys

Buzzboys Member

I think rookie defenders are the least of our problems (for a change). If deciding between Lower, Puopolo, Duigan, Stanley, Tape, Buckley, Hibberd or Toy, put Buckley and Hibberd in the mids and select any four from Lower, Puopolo, Duigan, Stanley, Tape or Toy. My issue is finding enough Mid and forward rookies to satisfy my GNR strategy.

7. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Plenty of Richmond supporters indicating lids looks underdone and not right to go. Thinking of replacing him with Stiffy. Thoughts?

8. spud

spud New Member

Goddard, Gibbs, Lids et all have all looked underdone or have underperformed so far this preseason. Hopefully they're simply dusting off the cobwebs, or it could be a slow start to the year.

Grimes have been a pleasure to read about, sounds as though he's doing really well.

Anyone have much news on how Otten has been performing? Probably locked in regardless of preseason performance given he should play most matches barring injury, but a strong preseason never hurts when deciding whether or not to fork out and extra 50-80k on a cheapie.

9. WindyHillWizard

WindyHillWizard New Member

@Spud - not good reports on Otten. Has had a couple of quiet games and many on the BF boards don't have Otten in the starting line up for round 1.

He is still in my team , but he is not the lock that we all thought 3 weeks ago.

10. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

As a Melbourne supporter I find it very difficult to believe that S Buckley will play more than 1 or 2 games with the reighning premier. He was a spud at Melbourne and IMO will prove to be a spud at Collingwood. Buyer beware!

11. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

anyone know how Broughton has been performing in the pre-season?

12. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Very well in his usual role. No reports of time in the mids as predicted before preseason.

13. Josh

Josh New Member

has andy otten done enough to get a game round 1? bit of word going around that he hasnt..

14. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

Any Tiger supporters out there that think Jake Batchelor will play R1 and be a regular?

15. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ ThommoDees - 60/40 is my reckoning that he will play.

@ Eagles2011 - Like your opinion on Callum Wilson so far this preseason. Keep it under your hat though cause I have him in starting line up and don't wan't everyone else on the bandwagon. I'm hoping it works but preparing to dump him after Rnd three to get a GC rookie if needed.

16. The_General

The_General Member

Interested to find out peoples thoughts regarding the GNR strategy and defenders. Originally, had the 3 mid prems with 6 rookies, but due to recent injuries, I am considering throwing a midpricer in there.

For this thread however, a lot of people have said they are going with a GNR structure (apart from the FWDS maybe), but nearly every team I have seen has:
    Goddard, Gibbs, Deledio, Broughton and Grimes in it. Thats 5 keepers and not at all in line with the strategy. Given the mass of good (and cheap) rookies DEF's, shouldn't we be looking at cutting the amount of keepers from 5 to 4 or even 3?

17. Corks

Corks Member

General...spot on: Check out the other thread that's been running this arvo http://tooserious.net/forum?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=204.2

Everyone's coming to the same conclusion. Drop a defender premium for a rookie, and add a premium midfield. For me, Grimes (OK, not a premium strictly speaking) bites the dust, and Pav / Coons / Boomer come into the mids. Like Pav as MPP as a 4th mid, and can move him to a forward premium later.

Seems to be far better rookie options in defense than elsewhere, so I'm going to fill my sack down back.

18. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

^ Hey Corks, whats the name of that thread, as that link isn't working?

19. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Interesting to me is that none of the backline 'Locks' are really worth their price (sorry, Goddard IS worth his price). Barry Gibbs is a flake (and Im a carlton supporter), i dont ever see him taking it to the real elite. Delete-io is pretty classy, but hasnt racked huge numbers for yrs; broughton was best in his first year (but freos defense will get more action this year); nudey gilbert wont score as much in the forward line; grimey jack is cool but may get tagged during the real season...i actually think the big Bocker will get plenty of ball..for me the defenders are the weak link in supercoach and its all about safe bets and minimising loss. not inspiring. there are so many mids at better value pricing...well thats life. My warning to all - dont buy harbrow or krakour from GC. Flakes.

20. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

GaryReal- apart from Goddard and Bock....any suggestions?