Position Focus - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Corks

Corks Member

I can't really see a lot of value in the mid-price defenders. Good near the top (Grimes+) and at the bottom (Otten down) but those in the middle seem to be likely to score about what they're valued at. Why not go an additional defender rookie and get a gun in the mids?

2. 11kgm

11kgm New Member

So if i keep deledio and just stick with pendles swan sloane and cotchin as my core 4 midfielders?

3. Corks

Corks Member

If you're willing to take a GnR risk, could swap Sloane and Cotchin for Selwood / Judd plus Swallow / Heppell? Assume you've got Krakour, but if not even Montagna plus Krakour. That way you start with 3 premium mids, and keep delids as a premium back.

I don't know much about Sloane, but Cotchin could have big upside. I just love stacking up on the proven reliable guns early, and grabbing rookies that will grow in value, then cashing in for a full team of premiums mid-year. Just one approach, not necessarily right.

4. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Lids gone, also Grundy - waste of three days planning there!! BUT did keep Rohan at F6

Backs now: God, JCock, Broughton, Grimes, Ottens, Lower & Hibberd. Emerg Cripps, Duigan & Stanley.

Gibbs in Mids but will headback when cows are cashed.

Trying to take adv. of strong back half rookies.

Almost back with GnR with two BUTS.

Grimes (acceptable) Sylvia $428K & Rohan $291 K

MG I wish Rd1 would arrive!

5. youngross

youngross New Member

what are your comments on my back line:
    Goddard, Gibbs, Bruce, deledio, broughton, otten, hibbered. bench: d. Stanley, poupolo, duigan.

unsure about hibbered, Stanley, and poupolo.

6. youngross

youngross New Member

what are your comments on my back line:
    Goddard, Gibbs, Bruce, deledio, broughton, otten, hibbered. bench: d. Stanley, poupolo, duigan.

unsure about hibbered, Stanley, and poupolo.

7. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Youngross you may as well put your team into the RMT thread and get the whole thing rated there. The thread is going great guns at the moment.

But from quick glance your backline looks pretty cookie cutter except Bruce instead of Broughton, and so it is very strong.

8. fryzie

fryzie New Member

Anyone heard much about Deledio's bruised heel?

Apparently it's why he's missed a bit of pre-season but all I know is that he had a bruised heel, which I would assume wouldn't keep him from round 1 but if any Richmond supporters have further info on it that'd be great.

Cheers!

9. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

@fryzie:
    Deledio has played about half of NAB round 3 and most of NAB round 4. He should be fine for R1 by all reports.

10. fryzie

fryzie New Member

Beautiful, cheers Jase.

11. RickJames

RickJames New Member

Which GoldCoast Defender are people going for?
    I'm tossing up between KHunt and Tape.
    Tape has it at the mo. Locked in as full back I reckon. Here's their line up as I see it R2:

KHunt; Tape; Brown
    Harbrow; Bock; Krakouer
    with one of Coad or DStanley on the pine

What do other people think will be the Suns back 6?

12. Jason

@RickJames
    Mike Sheehan had the same back 6 as you when he wrote up his best GCS 22 in the Hun last week. I reckon I agree with both of you too.

13. RickJames

RickJames New Member

Jason,
    Which Sun do you have in defence?

Also, as you are a Doggies supporter, if you had to put one of these guys in your midfield, who would you choose out of MBoyd and DCross?

Cheers mate

14. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

How does this line look for DT purposes :

Goddard, Gibbs, Deledio, Birchall, O'Brien, Otten
    Lower - D Stanley, Puopolo, Duigan

Some feedback would be appreciated ...

15. Jason

<blockquote>Quote from RickJames on March 19, 2011, 15:14
    Jason,
    Which Sun do you have in defence?</blockquote>K.Hunt.

<blockquote>Also, as you are a Doggies supporter, if you had to put one of these guys in your midfield, who would you choose out of MBoyd and DCross?

Cheers mate</blockquote>Callan Ward is the only Dogs player in my team at the moment.
    If I had to take one of Boyd or Cross this year, I'd take Boyd. I can't see Cross possibly improving on his starting price, although I can see him staying the same. More likely I see Cross dropping 10ppg this year, hopefully as Ward picks up some more of the grunt work.

Boyd on the other hand could easily improve if his efficiency went up. He had a shocker last year, but has previously been more efficient. He can improve this, whereas I don't think Cross can improve much (Cross can't kick more than 45-50 at best and never really could). Captaincy should be worth 5ppg just in the number of extra tackles I expect Boyd to lay this season.

16. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

The simple reality is that the GCS boys have paid a fortune for Hunt... He's their marketing tool in an otherwise rugby friendly area.

They have simply paid too much for him to be sitting games out on the pine. If he gets injured, well damn, but that's the same for every player, every week. And he has a mature body that has stood up to the rigours of rugby in Aus and France.

Clearly, GCS have an incredibly young list. Young players fatigue and are more likely to be rotated in and out. Hunt on the other hand, will be wheeled out at every opportunity so they can show how clever they were in picking him up...

Just my 2c

17. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

tape or toy?

18. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Toy by a country mile for me.

And just on Hunt, I see the appeal of pretty much 100&#37; JS, but I can't see him averaging very much at all. I see players like Toy and Stanley averaging much more, and even if they have a rest come rounds 7-10 or thereabouts, they would've mooed that much more than Hunt to be slaughtered.

Hunt could be a perfect Gumby or M Brown, the slow burning cow, but personally I like my cows to be obese as quickly as possible.

19. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

Here's your defender premium POD:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/north-melbourne-defenders-ben-cunnington-and-nathan-grima-get-work-ahead-of-round-1/story-e6frf9jf-1226024596847

Anyone taking Grima?