Position Focus - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. wal

wal New Member

<blockquote>Quote from bonesy on January 28, 2011, 17:59

Agree with this completely.

The point is their role in their teams won't change, but their scores should now be compared against the other defenders, not the midfielders anymore.</blockquote>

Gibbs' role will change. Ratts said after the practice match yesterday that we picked up Nick Duigan and Jeremy Laidler in order to move Gibbs into the midfield. In all likelihood his back eligibility will be a one-off. Remains to be seen how things pan out but going back into the guts could make him a 115ppg player. I'm excited!

2. Gods_Gift

Gods_Gift New Member

I have also heard that Gibbs will play more through the midfield this year as well. So it is an easy choice to select Gibbs as you are getting a midfielder for a defender. :)

3. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Essentially Gibbs-Lids-God will be in each team.

The main question will be how many other premium style defenders teams will have, compared to their midfield.

Your choice between a quality D4 or a somewhat risky player needs to be weighed up with other positional risks.

But yeah, I can't see many teams at all without the trio

4. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

There is also talk of Yarran floating through the backline. Was an absolute ball magnet in his pre-AFL days. Anyone keen on him as a rebounding backman who could get plenty of the ball?

5. boydshow

boydshow Guest

I'm not sold on Deledio. I don't rate Richmond as a team, and he's never been a real ball magnet. Goddard & Gibbs I've got.

6. bonesy

bonesy Member

griff

have a look at Deledios stats for the last 3 years

averages:
    2010 - 102ppg (22 games)
    2009 - 103ppg (22 games)
    2008 - 102ppg (22 games)

now compare his avg against the defenders in each given year and he finishes 4th('10) , 2nd('09) and 3rd('08).

with his durability and his MPP and availability in defense, he is among the lockiest of locks.

7. bonesy

bonesy Member

anyone considering James Kelly as a 4th defender?

put up some big scores last year. averaged 99ppg, and with Ablett gone, could see some more midfield minutes.

also a B/C mpp, but that's kind of becoming irrelevant given my first draft team has 6 B/C mpps

8. spud

spud New Member

Kelly is unfortunately only listed as a MID from my understanding, Bonesy.

Gibbs has replaced Hodge and Lids has done the same to Kelly.

Gibbs' story sounds identical to Hodge. Played in the backline the previous year, gets M/D eligability but will play predominately in the midfield this year. Perhaps he can make AA captain? :)

9. spud

spud New Member

<blockquote>Agree with this completely.

The point is their role in their teams won't change, but their scores should now be compared against the other defenders, not the midfielders anymore.</blockquote>

Agree with that train of thought, Bonesy.
    And it is for that reason why one of the most first picked players in previous years, Hodge in the backline, is potentially unlikely to even feature in a number of teams despite having one of his best years as he is now being compared to the super premiums for that midfield spot.

Similarly as to why people are back on the Lids bandwagon - he was much loved when he was a forward, but lost his place in most sides when listed only as a midfielder.

10. Lucas

If you think of your team as a squad rather than 4 individual lines it probably matters not that much who you start with and where (given DP)

What matters is what you end up with, which as indicated will probably have these three.

So...why not start with them unless you have solid reasons?

11. WillS

WillS Member

<blockquote>Quote from wal on January 30, 2011, 11:06
    <blockquote>Quote from bonesy on January 28, 2011, 17:59

Agree with this completely.

Gibbs' role will change. Ratts said after the practice match yesterday that we picked up Nick Duigan and Jeremy Laidler in order to move Gibbs into the midfield. In all likelihood his back eligibility will be a one-off. Remains to be seen how things pan out but going back into the guts could make him a 115ppg player. I'm excited!</blockquote>

Pretty confident Duigan will get a start then?

12. defeatest

defeatest New Member

David Gorrdis, is he gonna be ok this year? will he play?

13. spud

spud New Member

With Jacobs to be sidelined for a while with g.fever, a lot of people might have an additional spot in the backline now.

If he does miss a couple of months, it won't be bad from a supercoach perspective to have a downgrade target to look forward to. Hopefully his MPP won't be needed until later on in the year!

14. Lucas

Exactly what I was thinking Spud.

Still glandular is the type of illness that completely wipes out the kids for the year and I can't think that Port will be taking any risks as their season may be over by Round 10.

15. spud

spud New Member

Very true, Lucas.

It does hurt that it had to be a promising rookie from the team that had the latest bye#1 though - promising cash generation. Would have much rather it been from a team with an early bye.

Lol @ the Port snipe hah!

16. Lucas

Steve might be lurking...haha

17. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Shuey 2.0 anyone?

18. spud

spud New Member

It could well be, but this time i won't fall for it!

19. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Agreed- I dare say that most astute coaches had Jacobs as a starter or at the very least a reserve. Opens up for some other rookie options if he can't make it back before RD1 I suppose in Cripps, Puopolo, Hibberd, Guthrie and a host of others......shame Jacobs went down, definitely a major cash cow as Spud mentioned.

20. Heater

Heater New Member

Shame about Jacobs. I had him sitting nicely on my bench ready for him to moo. Plenty of others to chose from though.