Position Focus - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

No to Greenwood I think he ended up being a tagger last year which is fantasy no go zone

2. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

A question for the hawks guys: is Gibson likely to be picking up key forwards this year or is there a chance who could be the main rebounder?

3. Owen

Owen Well-Known Member

Question, is Craig Bolton worth a look?

Can Craig Bolton get back to his 2009 average or is he past it? Averaged 76.85 in 2009, averaged 57.2 last year before injury. Possible 20 point gain.

Compared to Adcock, averaged 87.33 in 2009 and 68.44 last year. Possible 20 point gain.

4. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

@Tylo
    It is too early to tell. Personally, i would love it if our defence was based around Shoenmakers, Lisle and Stratton, leaving Gibbo, Puopolo and Birchall etc. to take care of the small forwards and to run off half back. Even if it is Gilham instead of Lisle, i still reckon Gibbo will play many games as a KPD. But who knows what Clarko's thinking.

5. Gods_Gift

Gods_Gift New Member

Still shattered Gibson left the roos :( Puopolo averaged 20 disposals a game in the SANFL last year, looks a good pick for SC if he gets games at the hawks :D

6. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

Thanks for the feedback Ruddy. Will try to keep an eye on it over preseason. He seems perfect for the role.

7. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

@Owen I would say the difference is; if Adcock gets to 90ppg he becomes a keeper imo but even if Bolton reaches 80ppg your still gonna end up trading him out. Its the whole thing about how much a midprice player needs to improve to be viable? Not sure a 20ppg improvement is enough.

8. Juggernauts

Juggernauts New Member

do u think adcock is worth the risk at 330k? with drummond also returning from injury off HB stealing points and brisbane looking unlikely to win many games will there be enough scoring pie for him too reach that 90ppg? maybe better off running a rookie? smith puopolo heppel etc

9. sean

sean New Member

@ Owen -

Bolton is back from injury, and has just dropped the captaincy role at the club. My suspicion is he'll start tapering off this year.

10. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Yeah, the defence is an intersting one. I think you probably need to structure up with 3 100+ scoring players ie; Goddard, Gibbs, Deledio, then throw a blanket over D4 with about 5-6 options but i'm thinking Broughton or maybe Grimes. After that well, it's just a guessing game really. Remember last year, Malceski was a risk but if you started with him he paid dividends. I really think one of Drummond or Adcock, even Otten could be the eski of last year. Having said that there are a plethora of mature age recruits and rookies who could easily slot in from D5-7 if you're prepared to take a risk.

11. aj

aj Member

<blockquote>Quote from bonesy on February 3, 2011, 16:21
    <blockquote>Quote from Morko78 on February 3, 2011, 16:14
    Just on Deledio, I know most coaches are looking at him as D3 with Goddard and Gibbs, but has anybody considered Daniel Connors? Played 14 games at an average of neary 86. Just put it out there as a possible POD.</blockquote>

way too expensive for mine. and definitely not in place of lids.
    if you want points of difference look for them in D4,5,6&7

I still don't understand why people are hesitant on Lids.</blockquote>

Was flipping through last year's prospectus and there was the section written by the Dream Team winner from '09. His point was that many coaches spend too much time convincing themselves as to why thay shouldn't have a player.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned concern that you might not get the points increase on Lids this year that you would hope for. That's really not the point with premiums. You pay premium cash to get peace of mind that that slot will usually score you a ton. Average that over all spots across the year with good scores from your captains and you will win the overall.

Sure it's a good idea to check out underpriced premiums. You could save 40k here, 60k there. Find 6 of them and one of your rookies can start as a prem. I know I'd doubt my abilities in finding those 6 premiums and then get the 7th right, whilst dumping the correct rookie. Meanwhile you've possibly taken risks on 6 or so of your starting premiums; lost some cash generation and all for the sake of a guy youprobably weren't sold on anyway (or else he'd have been one of your first picked).

Then, even if you pull that off, there's still 8 spots available for just buying a dude that's going to crank out your bread and butter. Lids could easily fit on that list.

I suppose it's a bit like trading for round 6 this year. It's good to work out how to extract that extra 1 or 2&#37; but you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. You have a proven 100ppg player at peak age playing the easiest role in footy and he's being offered to you as a DEF. That's why he will be in so many teams. Don't over-think this one. It's a no-brainer.

12. aj

aj Member

Hrm... incidentally Bones, that rant was in support of your POV. I used 'you' in the generic sense.

13. GRG

GRG New Member

In addition to aj's comments. Lids has only missed 3 games of footy in the last 6 years! A 100ppg+ player, in the backline, who plays 22 rounds, it sure is a no-brainer

14. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

I am bit curious as to why there has been no mention of Andrew Hooper from the Bulldogs? I thought he did ok when he was thrown into the final last year and is only priced at &#36;110,200 this year for a defender.

What do the Bulldogs supporters think? Is he in your best 22 and what position do you think he will play? In the final last year he played up forward.

He is in my team at the moment.

15. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

I had him on my watchlist from early on, but think there is better options out there. Not sure if he is in their best 22?

Been impressed with Connors tonight, seems to be everywhere for the Tigers. I know Lids & Newman arent playing but can we expect this when they are back?

16. crew

crew New Member

Wilson (WC) D6-7
    Harbrow/Bock ?? D4-5
    Gilbert/Fisher D4-5
    H Shaw/Grundy D4-5
    Lake/Bruce D4
    Thoughts ??

17. spud

spud New Member

I'd steer away from Bruce to start with, crew, as it's a bit up in the air at the moment where abouts he'll actually slot in. He was the prolific ball winner at the Dees and a great supercoacher, but he'll now be in a team that has a number of other players taking points off him.

Grundy could be an option if you need a fwd/def link with gilbert. I personally will stay away from Gilbert/Fisher as defenders however as I will have Goddard in the backline and don't wish to add a second stkilda player down there.

Bock will probably rack up some good numbers at the GC, as the ball is likely to be done there an absolute ton! With a number of other senior blokes in the defensive 50, once they start to gel together they might improve on last years scores due to sheer quantity.

Shaw - gave me the irrits last year. Possibly an upgrade target when he hits his inevitable form slump.

18. spud

spud New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Juggernauts on February 5, 2011, 18:49
    do u think adcock is worth the risk at 330k? with drummond also returning from injury off HB stealing points and brisbane looking unlikely to win many games will there be enough scoring pie for him too reach that 90ppg? maybe better off running a rookie? smith puopolo heppel etc</blockquote>

At the risk of providing a general comment, I'd honestly say it depends on your current risk structure of the team. If you've already got a number of blokes coming back from injury such as knights/otten/drummond/petrie etc then I'd say steer clear.

Having a couple could prove genius, having all could see you planning your 2012 team very early into the season.

19. crew

crew New Member

Cheers Spud will take it onboard.........Had the good pleasure of hanging it on a Pies supporter after he was talking up Shaw/O'Brien early .....I had Eski. :)

20. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

WIth most going the "cookie cutter" D1-3, and most having Otten and Heppell/rookie D6-7, the D4-5 will be the real make or breaker in defence this year.

For me its between Broughton, Duff, Grimes, Adcock.

At the moment Broughton and Grimes are locked in but the Duff-man could be an interesting POD. However if he gets a forward tag it could become a Shaw situation and &#60;50 scores.