Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. spud

spud New Member

I've been thinking about having them both, Lucas, as I think Rioli won't go any lower price wise, while Buddy always has that uncanny potential to pull out the 150's on any given week and to miss it would hurt.

While covering the 3 forwards wouldn't be too with with some forward bench rookies and a mid mpp, what worrys me is just how many points can you afford to lose in any given week?

For a lot of teams, they'll also be starting Sandilands in the ruck, one of Bartel/Selwood(Kelly?) in the mids, and at least one of Broughton/Duffield/Enright in the backline.

That right there is, at least, 6 keepers missing. Throw in Mzungu who may or may not be a keeper, and even if you can cover all the spots (would want to make sure you haven't decked out your bench with freo/cats/hawks players) you're going to be missing out on a truck load of points.

Do people think you can afford to miss out on a huge chunk of points one week in the hope that it gives you an edge in the other weeks?

Just on the bench again too. Even after replacing all the non-playing players that round from the hawks/cats and dockers, how realistic is that we have any left over players who are playing that we can make emergencies? I for one don't fancy the idea of playing without an emergency. (edit: okay after working through a few scenarios, using MPP's from the back as well helps alleviate a bit of the pressure)

One last point: I believe running Chappy, Buddy and Rioli in the fwds for teams that also have Sandilands will make them incredibly reliant on their r3 playing that week. I really don't see MPP being a viable option for teams missing 3 in the forward line already, as you realistically won't be able to afford to take a 4th player out to cover Sandi.

2. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ Lucas

Thanks Lucas - I do have Buddy in and thanks for reassurance. Now how about F3-F7 ?

I'm cool with Chappy, Buddy, Delicious and then I think about F4 and look at Pav but alas he's obviously out because of the Round Six dilema.

Mzuri is useless as cover in this round too coz he's gonna be soaking up some rays on Cottesloe beach too.

3. Thought for you on MPP & emergencies Spud.

Petrie R3, Pav F1, Chappy F2, Franklin F3, Callinan M7, Heppell M8.

Petrie and R2 can cover Sandi, Pav/Chappy switch out for Callinan, the GCS (or who-ever else you have) rook covers the spot in the mids, while the F2 & F3 spots are covered by your FWD bench leaving one for emergencies. In the situation with three of Broughton/Duffield/Enright/Milburn/Bruce also down back then having Heppell switch out for Goddard/Deledio/Gibbs gives you one emergency in the back line to go with the one remaining in the forwards and mids each (unless of course you have a player from Gee/Freo/Haw in the mids). I hope I didn’t just confuse myself. Risky, as it leaves a lot of points on the pine, but not impossible to pull off by my calculations. Main issue I'd have with running it myself is losing the 1000 or so points sitting it out for the week

4. NedFlanders

NedFlanders Active Member

This one has been doing my head in as well.

My (current) solution is to go without Sandi and to turn Bartel into Swan. MPP like hell in Rd6. And then, when a cow is ready for the chop, the big lurch could then be in my sights.

High risk? Maybe.

5. spud

spud New Member

Certainly is doable BB, I found it easier to play around with in the actual supercoach window, as you can just hit the sub button to visualise it easier :) Petrie is too expensive to have sitting in R3 from my view.

But it had far too many youngsters on the field at a time for my liking, and with the strain it put on the benches, it really was relying on pretty much everyone else playing (no addition injurys, late changes etc).

The team looked stronger initially, but I wasn't happy with how it looked in round6. That extra keeper missing out just hurt things too much and puts too much pressure elsewhere.

If i was running a non-sandilands ruck combo I'd consider it.

6. Either way I have six players including bench players missing round six so I'm not too worried, interesting though. Majak Daw is looking better and better for the R2 spot at North, just a shame he's only listed as a forward.....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-surgery-for-kangaroo-hamish-mcintosh/story-e6frf9jf-1226014224041

7. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ BlueBeliever

Also Majak Daw is on the Rookie List and NM saying Hamish is not long term injury so Majak not likely to be elevated anytime soon. Worst luck.

8. I wonder what odds i could get from TAB on him getting elevated by round 1.....

9. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Do not rely on Majak Daw to be R2 at North. He is still a long way down the pecking order in big men at the Roos. Donald McDonald went on the record today to say that only a long-term injury might see Daw elevated to the senior list. And furthermore H.Mac's current injury situation doesn't actually present this type of opportunity either.

10. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

<blockquote>Quote from BlueBeliever on March 1, 2011, 19:29
    I wonder what odds i could get from TAB on him getting elevated by round 1.....</blockquote>

I'm just about convinced you'll be right on the money. I'd like 10 bucks Hamish is out for at least 6 weeks and he (Majak) will be in by RND one. :D

11. Moonwalker

Moonwalker New Member

I'm going with the Chappy/Buddy/Rioli combo with MPP cover as I want the most secure top-4 forwards (Riewoldt included).

I'm ponderng whether to use Mitch Morton or Jarrad Waite at F5. I think Waite is in for a big year and as Carlton gets stronger he seems bound for some extra points with him playing up forward - will he play defence though? Has the potential to score big this year and be a final F6 or F7 but it might be best to check his form in the first couple of rounds and then trade him in.

As for Morton, if he plays midfield and is high-scoring like his last 6 rounds last year he's my pick. Thoughts?

12. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Morton is pre-pre-season smoky. Still could deliver.

However in the limited NAB we saw he seemed to play deeper fwd - not what we want. Kicked some nice goals though.

For me F5 has other options. Was between ROK/Goodes/Higgins with Higgins leading the race at the moment.

13. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Food for thought people-Yarran, Rioli, L.Davis have all been used off half back this pre-season. Apart from Cyril are the other two worth considering in the FWD line, especially if they do in fact play there this year. Could be a rise in scoring averages.

14. Rioli I think we'll have to watch and see, Davis I wouldn't pick if he was Swallows price and Yarran I've had locked from the start. Just my opinions but I think with Gibbs back in the Midfield and Walker trying out up forward Yarran will be prolific this year, as long as he stays fit...

15. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Rioli will play up forward i reckon. Hawthorn don't have many speedy crumbers up forward, whereas we have a few players who can play off half back and have a fair bit of pace (Burgoyne, Bruce, Gibson etc.). I'm not sure Davis will do that well down back. Like i think Lucas said earlier, they were passing to him heaps, but he looked a bit lost, and seemed to turn it over a bit. Even Yarran i'm dubious about. Carlton added quite a few players to their defence over the preseason, and i honestly don't know how they will all fit.

16. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Yeah, I think Yarran is worth a punt as well for his price. High draft pick, highly touted and over the second year blues(pardon the pun) Just might be ready for a breakout season.

17. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

@Ruddy-Rioli and Buddy are locks for me anyway. I like the look of Yarran though and Neon if and I say if is given the chance could re-invent himself. Chappy has been locked in my side for about 3 weeks but I'm not so sure now with him not playing in the pre-season. This whole FWD line is doing my head in!

18. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Damn you Chappy! If there wasn't alrwady enough carnage in the fwd line!

19. The short answer to the Blues defence question Ruddy is no they wont, I still think Yarran'll get a guernsey though

20. yt

yt New Member

The one year I lock chaps from the start there's rumors about calls stopping him.from playing, dammit!