Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. buzz

buzz Member

Chappy was getting over a calf complaint before Christmas. Haven't heard about these new whispers until Freako mentioned them. Damn.
    He isn't on the injury list but that doesn't dispel anything I guess. Maybe a strait swap for Stevie J but more hoping he will be ok. Any heard or been to a training session to see which group he is in. please don,t say the rehab group?

2. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

As John McEnroe famously said "you cannot be serious"

Now Chappy is down its starting to look a lot like Krak's V2011, Knights, Higgins and a raft of Mid Pricers are gonna get a run and then trade em up Rnd 7-10 when we work out who is gonna get on the park.

3. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

N.Roo is probably the only safe bet premium at the moment.

The rest are either getting old, injury prone or suspension prone.

Lots of uncertainties with the forwards this year. Turning in to a bit of a chook raffle.

4. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Losing Chappy isn't the biggest loss imo. It enables you to replace him with Franklin/Rioli/Pav or even Stevie J depending on which of them you don't have.

5. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ Ruddy,

Cool mate but I had Chappy, Buddy and Roo. Can't see replacing Chappy with Delicious or Pav given Round Six and what if Stevie J decides to play handies with Bakes in Round one again ?

6. @ Limo

Why can't you replace Chappy with Rioli or Pav? Geelong share the same bye.........

7. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ Limo

Why can't you replace Chappy with Rioli or Pav? Geelong share the same bye.........

Ah ha - Now that's why I should stay off the Red at night.

8. I wouldn't go that far mate...

9. buzz

buzz Member

I believe zero scores are going to count this year. So if I keep chappy, and he tears his calf in the warm up everyone else would get him in round 4or 5 after a 60k drop.

A more realistic fear would be for some one carrying a niggle into the season to be the first person to wear the red vest. Subbing out my premiums will cause tears. The forward line needs this like a hole in the head.

10. Daveo

Daveo Member

This years most difficult line is the forwards.

All the premiums have ? Barring ROO

So which mid $ you chose will make a huge difference.

The few im currently considering are
    Missy
    Dangermouse
    yarran
    Knights

But all of these have there problems

Argh the pain what to do ?

11. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

I think you just need to go through the risk reward of each player.

Roo: Low risk in term of injury or suspension, unless he redoes his hammy.

Buddy: Will probably miss 2 or 3 games from suspension or rolling his ankle, but apart from that he has huge upside.

Chappy: Seems fairly well priced, and who knows if this calf injury is actually bad, or if it's getting blown out of proportion. His hammies seem to be better with the new doctor last year.

Rioli: Huge upside, and managed to average 95 last year even though suffering through op, and playing the first half of the season injured. Averaged 115+ from round 11(?) onwards, so if he stays fit will be a top 7 forward.

Didak: currently injured, but historically doesn't have huge injury worries. Could he be the one to suffer a premiership hangover?

I reckon this is the best way to assess each of your players. Someone like Higgins has fairly high upside, but also is a huge injury risk. Has never played every game of the season, and could easily miss over half a season.

12. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

<blockquote>Quote from buzz on March 2, 2011, 19:32
    I believe zero scores are going to count this year. So if I keep chappy, and he tears his calf in the warm up everyone else would get him in round 4or 5 after a 60k drop.

A more realistic fear would be for some one carrying a niggle into the season to be the first person to wear the red vest. Subbing out my premiums will cause tears. The forward line needs this like a hole in the head.</blockquote>

Top point about Subbing out premiums - very scary.

I can forsee a silver lining I think.
    Its unlikely that a premium like Goddard, Roo, Buddy or Swan will ever be subbed off during a game unless of course they are injured and can't return. So I reckon in SC terms that's not gonna hurt cause 90 per cent of SC teams will be in same boat.

Silver lining is that perhaps a Gun player with a 50/50 injury, where sides would normally send them back out and possibly do more damage, may now have to make a decision more quickly.

They might not be able to see how player X pulls up at QTR or Half Time and may have to make snap decision for team balance.

This may benefit by reducing damage and allowing the player to play the following week or recover sooner from the injury.

Just a thought.

13. I agree with you on that one Limo, it also means for some of the big boys coming back from injury they may get thrown in as a sub for the last 10-20 if the teams running alright and get some TOG they otherwise would have missed. Coaches are a lot more likely to name a primo sub for a dud game than to give them a full interchange spot IMO

14. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Yeah they may play the next week but their price will be shot to bits!

Meaning you paid top dollar and every other tom dick and harry will read my Best Buys and get him in at a low point.

15. Fair call Lucas, I was more thinking about it from a premium-player-returning-quicker point of view. For SC scoring it wouldnt help no

16. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ Lucas

You just signed your own death warrant. Now we'll be forced to kill you so you can't publish your Best Buys, might even have to kill Tom, Dick and Harry too. LOL.

17. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Maybe this Chappy calf stuff has been blown out of proportion. Is the only source we have the Freako newsletter? Possibly it was referring to calf complaints around xmas instead?

18. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I'm with you Nick. Definitely a wait and see for the moment.

19. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Chappy is in my side at the moment.

No way I'd make the change to Steve J

If Chappy doesn't stand up, then Pavlich or Buddy gets a look-in.

Matter of fact, Buddy is really close to my side anyway.

Just trying to tiptoe around R6

20. buzz

buzz Member

Apart from leaving out krak2011, my other risky player selection in the forwards i'm very hopeful for is dangermouse. Has been worrying me with lack of midfield time pre-season but the afl article lists him as very hopeful of more midfield time.
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/108685/default.aspx

The other option at this price being Higgins. The guy just doesn't have the durability even though he does look set for a good year.