Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. apolis

apolis New Member

<blockquote>Quote from HeavyMen on March 10, 2011, 21:37
    Ok F6 David Astbury F7 C Richardson for me. Astbury to get cheap points running out of half back line?Does anyone rate B Johnson (Cats) as a bench option? Has been some press by him saying he's ready - anyone close at Geelong? Could he be a better choice than I Smith, B Matera, J Darling etc?</blockquote>

From a few pages back, but on Ben Johnson: he is physically ready I think but he was worst on ground in the nab cup game I saw him play in. He played terribly in the first half then they subbed him off.

2. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

The JRoo was OK till this talk of playing up higher. If this happens I see Sylvia or McGlynn (2010 form reqd) as players who know their way around the ground a bit better & still dangerous when in the fwd line. Will JRoo miss the excitment of being the main man with a licence to jump - if he is req'd to focus on some defensive stuff playing higher?

3. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey New Member

I'm keen on Jroo too HeavyMen, but I'm not locked in because of Richmond's first 4 rounds. Carlton, Stkilda, Hawthorn, Collingwood. They will likely restrict his scores, i think he'll bounce back after that with games against NM, Bris.

I'm currently debating a decision at the moment, as i've got most positions locked. Can afford Option 1 Jroo and Heath Shaw or Option 2- Pavlich and Drummond. &#36;890k total, can't really squeeze any more cash out of the team. I really liked Shaw in the Nab cup final tonight... Any other &#36;450k forwards suggestions? Have Nroo, rioli, goodes, (Space), Higgins, Knights + cheapies*3.

4. Corks

Corks Member

Great point on the draw Funky Monkey, made me go back and check the numbers. JRoo got 159 vs Saints in R21 and 120 against them in R11 last year. 117 v Hawthorn in R8. Bad against the Blues with 86 (R1) and 40 (R20) and just 44 v Pies in R17. All in all though, if we take the average he should get 63, 140, 117, 44 over the 4 rounds. I'll take that, with him then going into the easier matches.

5. Corks

Corks Member

PS...not sure it works like that, but I'm a simple man. Still wouldn't touch Drummond till he's got 2 good scoring games under his belt.

6. JM

JM Member

FunkyMonkey
    Drummond is injured and looks like missing the early part of the regular season. I was keen on him too for the price and what he is capable of but who knows when he will return to the track. I thikn there are better options.

7. HeavyMen

Apolis, thanks for news on Ben J. Be great to see Knights continue his form from 2nite & be a worthwhile look at F6/F7. Apologies to GnR theorists (jeez I'm hoping that's a real word??)

8. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

Krak was again good. What did everyone think of Didaks first hitout. Enough to get anybody interested?

9. NedFlanders

NedFlanders Active Member

Dids definitely needed the run. I'm a little concerned about his potential role this year. If Neon is back (big if) and Krak gets some midfield time then Dids might spend more time doing party tricks in the fwd line, especially in the early rounds as he gets back up to pace.

10. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Didak was average and probably won't start in my team for that exact reason. He more than anyone is a player to grab after the Pies 2nd bye.

Corks on a forward how about Dawes? Looked OK in the NAB GF and is a hard worker. :D

Leon has shown enough to me to suggest he will play backward of centre lots of games this year. The issue I have is he is playing a full on first half then he would be likely subbed off.

That's the concern I have for Leon, but off half back he will certainly score.

I also thought the 7 clangers tonight was exceptionally harsh.

Krakouer is a lock. Should go quickly into the 350s and maybe higher, depending on hitting the scoreboard.

11. Corks

Corks Member

Lucas, thanks to your invaluable advice my forward line now has T Cloke, A Krakour, L Davis and C Dawes. With Didak to come in at round 10, I have a few more spots to fill in the meantime. I'm thinking of Leigh Brown, Brad Dick and Kurt Ugle. What do you reckon?

12. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

Right well my complete team is setup pending rookie selections come lockout, EXCEPT for one simple yet painful decision. My forwards is Roo, Buddy, Rioli, Higgins, Krak, and 4 rookies. I have one spot left and can afford anyone.

If Chappy were 100&#37; it would be a lock (R6 covered) but atm it's between Chappy/Dids/??? any other player. Unfortunately I'm not convinced on any other Premium. Any suggestions????

13. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

14. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

My earlier worries about Krak v2011 have been hereby alleviated. He's in!!

15. spud

spud New Member

Struggling with a very similar question, GH, as I'm sure a lot of people are. A lot of teams will have room for a 4th premium but there are question marks over pretty much all of them.

Chappy is the standout, but hasn't yet played a match due to a groin injury which we'll really have no idea how serious it is given the cloak and dagger style stuff in the preaseason.

Didak had his surgery which was well documented and I wonder if that will start him off slowly if he's missed much preseason?

16. spud

spud New Member

I wonder how fast Krak can appreciate?

If he can burst out of the gates and hit some high scores, he could just well be the ideal trade up to Chappy.

Chappy as we know has had an injury interrupted preseason, and at his price if he starts slowly he is expected to fall (nothing would be better than him being used as a sub for a couple of rounds!)

With Geelongs bye in round 6, and Collingwood in round 7, if Krak can appreciate quick enough, a krak-Chappy trade could be idea in round7 - straight after Chappys bye and right before Krak has his. Chappys second bye isn't until round 22 as well.

Ideally, i can see a 2trade post round 6. Cash in a fast cow and upgrade Krak to Chappy. Whether the slower price movements this year however will stop that from happening or not, I'm not sure. The rookie you'd think would have to be from a carlton/essendon/richmond/port team as they're the only teams who won't have had a bye yet - ideally 6 games played (4 price jumps).

However, it would take a brave person to trade out Krak if he has been scoring well enough so that the trade up to Chappy is even plausible, and I'm sure many will have issues elsewhere or consider Krak a worthy keeper/supersub.

17. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from GeneralHodge on March 12, 2011, 00:01
    Right well my complete team is setup pending rookie selections come lockout, EXCEPT for one simple yet painful decision. My forwards is Roo, Buddy, Rioli, Higgins, Krak, and 4 rookies. I have one spot left and can afford anyone.

If Chappy were 100&#37; it would be a lock (R6 covered) but atm it's between Chappy/Dids/??? any other player. Unfortunately I'm not convinced on any other Premium. Any suggestions????</blockquote>

Surely Pav, if you're OK with R6.

18. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ Corks

Just logged in after a fitful night tossing and turning deciding on R3, D6, M5 and F7.

What a pisser setting up your forwards. Now that is a structure that could have a massive POD to the rest of Comp.

Good luck and I hope you sling Lucas 5k for his trouble when you win.

Thanks for the laugh man. That was killer.

19. HeavyMen

As a strategy would like feedback on:- Having Astbury F6 wanting Petrie later but starting with no spare cash. Astbury starting price covers Petrie & thinking is an icrease for Astbury price over 4 or 5 rounds & trade in Petrie if going OK before his price increases. Prefer to trade Astbury than say Mzunga, A Krak & maybe bench (Matera, Darling & ?) will take longer to increase enough to get Petrie early??

20. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ Heavymen

David Hale probably does the same as Astbury with DPP advantage if needed till Petrie is back in Round 4.

That's of course if you have a Tippett at R4.

As much as it pains me with a few early Tiger losses job security for a guy like Astbury isn't great.