Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Bossarello

Bossarello New Member

Great forum topic Lucas!
    This one really intrigues me. I find the other parts of the ground the best options tend to stand out. Getting your forward line right can be really crucial. I reckon your mad if you don't take N Reiwoldt- not just coz he has a huge tank and is a gun - but coz he consistently gets premium delivery from his teammates up the field. Across the board I like my forwards from the gun teams. The question of power forward versus mid/forward id also crucial. I reckon the best answer is a balance of both. Studying the fixtures can often help you decide which guys to start with and which to target for upgrades later in the season.
    Don't forget that unless your in a mighty tough league - HAVING THE RIGHT TEAM FOR FINALS IS ALL THAT MATTERS - don't get too caught up in the short term.

2. DAZZLER

DAZZLER New Member

DAZZLER's forwards:

Nick Riewoldt, Matthew Pavlich, Alan Didak, Adam Goodes, Chris Knights, Drew Petrie, Andrew Krakouer
    Jack Darling, Tendai Mzungu, Luke Tapscott

I think this is the part of the ground most coaches are gunna throw around pending on NAB form and injuries..
    DAZZLER likes the idea of giving Krak another run.Petrie is there so he can be DPP'd into the ruck if required..
    Knights, is pending on form and injuries..
    Didak's pre season a bit sus, but he IS A GUN, so watch this space..

3. Heater

Heater New Member

Whats everyone's thoughts on Trent Dennis-Lane (TDL)? I thought he improved as his season progressed last year, he is very neat and tidy and hardly ever wastes a possie. IMO he could be a bolter in 2011. Thoughts?

4. Boycey

Boycey New Member

Great to read some of your thoughts.

For me the key is how well do you think a team is going to go dictates if you take a KPP or a Mid forward. I will admit biase but i think Frankilin will go close to kicking the ton again this year and will be locking him in as well as Junior Rioli.

I think nick might start slowly after all the attention to of football matters so i will lool to get him later. Chappy is in as he did the job last year. the rest is a wait and see over the next 6 weeks for me.

5. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/106974/default.aspx

This video is about Hawthorn's boxing matches. Not really to do with forwards, but in the first fight is Rioli. I thought he looked very muscly compared to last year. I reckon he's put on a fair few kilos, which bodes well for even more midfield time. He should improve on his SC average.

6. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

Thanx for the feedback on Jurrah guys. Monty has him about $325,000 which is an awkward price. I can see him being inconsistent but if demons make top 8 he could average 90+ppg. Dont think Watts is raedy yet to be the no.1 forward.

N.Ablett is a tough one. Showed very little in vfl last year but not a lot of other options for GC. Might depend how young boys, Dixon and Day go in preseason. Personally I prefer ROK over Goodes, only cause I think he'll get more midfield time but only speculating.

7. Stew

Stew New Member

@Heater- I don't like TDL for 2011. Yes, he did finish off the season quite well... Even got Charlie votes in a couple of games, but he will be pretty much permanently stationed in that forward pocket/flank. He doesn't have the ability to play in the mids either, which in my opinion, puts his spot greatly at risk after the first few rounds, when teams realise they need to have more mid options than ever before.

He will most likely start round 1... However his 'small forward' role will be under huge pressure from the array of similar type players Sydney have who can play elsewhere, ie. O'keefe, Hanneberry, McGlynn, Jetta, Rohan, Bird, Bevan... And when you add Bradshaw, Goodes and the resting ruckman (Seaby) or 2nd tall (White) to the mix.... It's getting quite crowded down there.

So in summary... While I hope he has a great season, I can't see him affecting the SC scorers too much... And I honestly believe his position is not assured in that forward line..... Although he will likely get first crack by all preseason accounts from inside the club. But hey... He would be unique...

8. Thrice

Thrice New Member

Does anyone have any opinion on Sylvia? At $430k he's tempting as a high-mid pricer that's capable of being a premium, especially as he'll play midfield for most of the year.

9. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Mmmm Sylvia is a good player but hasn't been that durable recently. I think you can pass on him without losing too much sleep.

10. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Agree with you Lucas about durability, but I actually think Sylvia is due for a break-out year. I know we've been saying that for along time though. Obviously if he can manage to get through the NAB cup games unscathed and show some form I will be considering him. On the other hand, he could just be another high draft pick with untapped ability that unfortunately couldn't get his body right for whatever reasons. Only time will tell I suppose.

11. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Dids is an interesting one for me. A lock in most years but with pectorial troubles (did he have surgery) it seems like a warning of an interrupted pre-season - something definitely to avoid.

Anyone have any news on Dids?

12. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Nick- haven't heard alot re: Didak, but choosing premiums coming off end of year surgery is always a risk. Generally will start slow(historically anyway)so prove to be an ideal upgrade target later on. I have actually structured my FWD line with smaller type players that can swing through the midfield this year as opposed to the big guerilla forwards ie; Riewoldt, Franklin, Brown etc. May pay off but it might not either.

13. yumcha

yumcha Member

JB's high scores in the earlier rounds, gave me fake hope for the rest of the season that he will come good. He never did other than the odd games here and there. Not going there again. Guy's a legend when he's fully fit. But he never seems to be nowadays. So sad for the footy world.

Chappy's dodgy hammy turned me off last year, but boy did that decision cost me big time in the end. Not making that mistake again. With no Ablett, will he be the key man now? Or will this mean more tagging on him? I am betting on the prior ... for now at least.

NR seems to be a must have, despite their poor off-field dramas lately.

Rioli. Seems to be the new Gazza (which unfortunately comes with the package of dodgy hammy or groin)

14. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Another point on not taking Didak, is the two players i would pick to have premiership hangovers are Shaw and Didak haha

15. Lucas

Didak is a very handy player who got a normal stdev which was very high down much lower.

Ergo he was more consistent.

I'd be thinking he will play in the midfield for the Pies from game 1, but also if there is any risk he won't get a game.

If you need to replace him, Goodes seems nicely priced for that role, depending on if his coach is stupid enough to play him at CHF instead of on-ball.

TBH the way the bye works I think its important the forward line is nicely balanced.

16. Stu

Stu New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on February 8, 2011, 09:38
    Mmmm Sylvia is a good player but hasn't been that durable recently. I think you can pass on him without losing too much sleep.</blockquote>

On the contrary Lucas, Sylvia has been durable recently.

Granted he missed chunks of last season due to two freak injuries, but that isn't a durability issue. He is in fantastic shape and should play 90&#37; in the midfield this year.

I am susceptible to a fair amount of bias, but I am really thinking he is a legit option this year, particularly given his MPP.

17. Moonwalker

Moonwalker New Member

It would be worth picking Didak up at R14 after the two byes, I don't believe he starts the season off all that strongly.

I think an important question for us is whether people should have a premium at F5 this season. I believe the top-5 forwards for the season will be Franklin, Rioli, Chapman, Riewoldt and Goodes. You could add Pavlich, Harvey or Didak to that list but would it be better to leave 2 or 3 spots open given so many question marks on the premium forward-line players?

It seems that most people will have locks at F1-F4 and I think other than Petire, Knights would have to be a popular F5 or F6 for a lot of people. What would people expect him to average for the first 12 rounds? Will he stay on the park given he gets an early bye in R2?

18. Lucas

Knights -who knows? A real risk and reward player. I'd say he could be a good upgrade target after his bye. Gives you 4 rounds to look at his fitness

19. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@Lucas

As a Victoria Park man, what role do you think McCaffer will get this season and should he be in calculations?

20. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Angus Monfries.....any takers? Apparently has built up his tank and Hird has plans for him in the midfield this year. Priced at around 357K. Too expensive, a POD or just a no go zone- Thoughts?