Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Keen to hear from a few GnR theorists. Can it work if not enough quality rookies make Rd 1. Or is it take a deep breath & hope they make teams over the first 4-6 weeks. Security from MPPs decreasing. Anyone rate S Buckley as def/mid (apologies for posting in fwd discussion).

2. Corks

Corks Member

Remember that with GnR you are looking at 5 Premiums plus Krak anyway, so its still a strong line.

There are enough Rookies left to have a proper crack. In particular you know you can get 2 out of GCS (Matera plus Day / Dixon / Prestia). Richardson and McKernan look good for early games - weaker teams and strong formlines. Then take your pick from Michie, Darling, Schneider, Smith. Gamble, Talia and Kerr also thereabouts. I'm sticking fat with GnR, but GCS is the key.

3. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from spud on March 12, 2011, 19:43Markovic(doggies) was looking okay to start with, but seems to have disappeared as of late.</blockquote>He didn't play in NAB week 4. But I still think he is going to be named (as a defender) for R1. Need to wait until lockout on him though as there is a little bit of doubt.

4. suther

suther Member

@ Spud

Sumner has been in my squad since Malceski's injury. Am not entirely confident, but I think he's looking more likely by the day.

For those lookng at the Yarran & Davis role, remember Gary Rohan. Looked good in the swans early matches and would surely be the one to run and carry. Comes with DPP for added value.

5. yt

yt New Member

whats peoples thoughts about weedon from WC i think hes a 3rd year player and hes had a few games in the nab cup going to be a useful bench choice or stay away?

6. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Corks, har to see 5 premiums in the forwards that you could back with any confindence this year. Chappy & Didak unfit, Goodes & Harvey aging and spending less time in the mids, Pav round 6 bye & Brad Green next best.
    Is anyone changing the structure of their forwards? Currently I have 2 premium, 1 keeper, 3 mid price (including Petrie) and 1 rookie. What are peoples thoughts on this type of set up?

7. stowie

stowie Moderator

<blockquote>Quote from eagles2011 on March 13, 2011, 14:52Is anyone changing the structure of their forwards? Currently I have 2 premium, 1 keeper, 3 mid price (including Petrie) and 1 rookie. What are peoples thoughts on this type of set up?</blockquote>

I like it eagles. There isn't much (IMO) outside of Richardson and Matera at the rookie price in the FWD line.

8. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

From all reports, Yarran did fairly well against the Cats yesterday. He was in everything. Not sure what possie he was playing but this info comes from someone who was at the match.

9. Corks

Corks Member

@ eagles 2011 - don't agree, just think that forward premiums are always more up and down than elsewhere.

Roo, Franklin, Rioli, Pav, Goodes all in form and looking Premium to me (or close to). Chappy and Didak will perform at a high level - can't see Chappy averaging less than 100. I have JRoo who I think will be premium, but he's not there yet so I have 4 premiums plus 1 keeper. Everyone lower down than &#36;450k is a risk - may pay off, may not. Those above will average near enough to 100+ to suggest the GnR will work.

Think there are plenty of forward Rookies worth the punt, but I'm getting a bit worried about mids now. I'm thinking Krak will start as a mid and I'll have 2 forward rookies on the ground (plus 3 on the bench (combo of Matera, Richardson, McKernan and a couple of others). Baring the bye, I want rookies on the bench - nothing over &#36;120k.

Always a risk whether you go with a classic value structure or with the GnR. Made prelim and GFs with the value last year, but came up a couple of weeks short. Hoping not to have the problem this year by trusting players with long formlines, plus upgrades. Only time will tell...

10. WindyHillWizard

WindyHillWizard New Member

Was totally off Petrie until the weekend when he lit it up. I am now re-thinking this.

But how to fit him in and find the extra &#36;100K to upgrade from a rookie.

Anyone else looking again at Droop?

11. Corks

Corks Member

You can wait and see a little with Droopie, as he misses 2 of the first 4 games. Means his price won't change till round 5, so if he's lighting it up you can trade him in then and pick whether you want him Ruck or forward. Given he is the only MPP ruck doing anything at the mo, it may be worth the wait.

12. The_General

The_General Member

@WHW

I would be looking at bringing him in for Rd 5 if he continues to score well. He is a risk and when you can have a good look at him first then why not take it. It also gives the added benefit of being able to see what's happening with Z. Smith, if he's stinking it up or not playing well then you might need the extra cover.

For me though Higgins, Krak and Knights are all above him at this stage.

13. WindyHillWizard

@The Generalist. Good point about taking a look at him first, but then you do waste a trade in that scenerio.

Agree that Missy and Krak are above Droop, but not so sure about Knights. Have read that he didn't look too fit on the weekend, although he did kick 2-3 goals.

I would only consider one of Petrie and Knight.

14. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@WHW - I've put Petrie back in and think that the saved trade might almost be worth it.

He is looking perfect as the super ruck sub with R4 IMO.

@ The General - I can't see any value trading him in to R3 which is where he would need to be to placed after a few rounds of watching The Doctor. That is presuming you don't have Tippett at R4. IMO it's unlikely many SC teams are going to have Smith at R3 and Tippett at R4 to start the season.

For mine he is a keeper at F7 for a lot of the season and then maybe end up as bench sub for last half a dozen rounds.

Happy to hear where Petrie can fit other than as FWD with MPP link to Rucks.

15. WindyHillWizard

@Limo23 - Petrie has to be picked in the FWDs. No question about that in my mind.

16. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@WHW

That's exactly my point. You are correct when you said about wasting a trade.

Z. Smith "the doctor" can't be watched for the first few rounds and then if he spuds it up traded out for Droopy.

It's a two trade deal as far as I can tell.

17. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

im not starting with smith.... because I am starting with the GC Tippett, with the aim of bringing in a MPP R/F later in the forward line maybe...
    I figure the R4 will probably not be used at all, so i might as well start Tippett there, to open up the mpp link possibility. just means it is hard to start with smith too. but that doesnt worry me too much.

18. HotPiesColdDrinks

HotPiesColdDrinks Member

I'm not sure if I should make a change to my forward line. At the moment, I have.

N.Reiwoldt
    Franklin
    Rioli
    Goodes
    Higgins
    Krakouer
    C. Richardson

(Talia, McKernana, Matera)

There doesn't seem to be a lot of lock in forwards. Had Chappy for a little bit, but got cold feet, so I am laying off him.

At the moment, there are 2 guys that I am thinking about (had them a few times in the last 3 weeks). But it's Pavlich or Didak. Didak has had surgery and hasn't had much of a pre-season, but I'm still kind of open to taking that chance, or then there is Pavlich.
    I don't think I want to get rid of Reiwoldt. I have thought about Franklin and Rioli, but not sure I want to part ways with them either.
    But if I was to replace someone with Didak/or Pavlich, I am maybe thinking Goodes. Just not sure if it's worth it or not. Not many lock in forwards to choose from.

19. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

For what it's worth i've stacked my FWDS atm-N.Rooey,Franklin,Pav,Rioli,Goodes,Higgins,Krakouer.(Matera,Richardson,McKernan or Darling)

20. Stew

Stew New Member

Morko78- Have you plugged that team into the ticker?
    You may have a few issues getting 22 on the pitch, based on that forward line.