Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. JMac

JMac Member

Mzungu going down has really stuffed me up. Thoughts on who his replacement might be? Anyone know of anoth mid/fwd likely to play?

2. JMac

JMac Member

I can find the 100k to upgrade Mzungu to Karkouer, but it means that I downgrade Swan and Judd to Pendlebury and Murphy. Worth it?

3. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

@stew-haven't actually mate. That forward line could change of course. Like most it's giving me the shites.

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

JMac, as a Pies fan I was skeptical of Krakouer getting a first up start in the lineup, and then if he did get in the team if he could do more than Davis.

I reckon he can.

He's a bit of a hard ball getter, and though he doesn't always finish the work, he gives enough to suggest one day (e.g. NAB Final) he will get the goals to go with the hard work.

Certainly in the mix for most teams I'd think now.

I'd think 4 rolled gold forwards, 2 midrangers and 4 rookies is the way to go in the forward setup. And I'm including Krakouer as the F6 of choice.

5. Lucas

On the forward setup, not too disappointed with losing Mzungu, because he will be an ideal downgrade.

Callinan is much more annoying for the startup team because you have to find a similar priced player of which there are very few. At this stage of the analysis, I'm thinking no one in the forward line under 100k.

6. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

JMAc, I think Swan can wait? Not sure for the extra that he will outscore Pendles by sig. amounts to often. Hoping he drops in price & comes into calculations after their bye in Rd 7.

7. RickJames

RickJames New Member

Hey lads.
    Have a dilemma over my F5 spot at the moment.
    Tossing up over Higgins/Varcoe/StevieJ. I have the cash for all of them.
    My question is, which of these 3 do people reckon will spend more time in the mids? I think StevieJ will be needed up forward so I'm leaning towards Varcoe to spend more time in the midfield as the cats really do need his pace through there. Higgins is still an option I'm considering but his injury proneness is a concern. Interested to know what others think here.

Here's a defence question (apologies its not in the right forum)- Out of the GC defenders, which player has the better job security and likelihood of scoring more points: KHunt/Tape/Coad?
    I'm thinking KHunty!

8. b_frazer5

b_frazer5 New Member

which 2 out of these 3 players should i take? Goodes, Pav and Rioli?

9. RickJames

RickJames New Member

Goodes & Rioli

10. JMac

JMac Member

I would have said Pav and Rioli. Goodes has been playing well in the NAB Cup/Challenge, but at CHF, where traditionally he doesn't score well

11. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

Pav and Rioli IMO.

12. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@ RickJames
    Have you considered Mitch Duncan? He has MPP and has had a strong preseason thus far, but since you have the cash, I would start Stevie J

@b-frazer5

Pav & Rioli would be my choice. I have both already. :)

13. BennyC88

BennyC88 Member

Pav and Rioli for me. But I'm seeing Goodes rising in the season. You might see him thrown in the guts more often. Just depends on their forward line, which is where their question mark will be

14. Corks

Corks Member

Goodes and Rioli for me. But would love all 3!

@RJ - I'd go for JRoo (if you have the cash) or Stevie J. Just don't trust Higgins. May be wrong, but nowhere in his history has he been a consistent scorer over 100 - all potential, little actual. Chappy will play forward imo, and Stevie J more time in the middle.

15. RickJames

RickJames New Member

Cheers for the advice guys. Sounds like StevieJ is the go.

I like Pav as a player by the way, I just reckon he wont get near averaging 100 this year whereas I think Goodes will.

16. WindyHillWizard

WindyHillWizard New Member

Apologies, as earlier in this thread I wrote that Knights looked unfit on the weekend. Reading some of the comments today about the game, sounds like he did OK.

I am reconsidering him now. Injury threat is definitely there, but its the same with Missy and Knights is $140K cheaper.

17. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

Doesn't seem to be much love out there for Jono Brown? Is anyone considering him? Will he play R1? Surely he will still average 100 ppg, even though we have no preseason form to gauge?

18. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

If the ball doesn't get into the Brissie forward line, it will be very hard for J.Brown to average 100 ppg. Brisbane looking like giving GCS a run for their money in a race for the spoon for mine. WC in contention also though.

19. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Jason on March 15, 2011, 06:14
    If the ball doesn't get into the Brissie forward line, it will be very hard for J.Brown to average 100 ppg. Brisbane looking like giving GCS a run for their money in a race for the spoon for mine. WC in contention also though.</blockquote>

Yes, that's a pretty compelling argument, but I'm of the belief that they will be better than most people expect. They looked pretty slick against the Dee's at Visy park and that was without JB. I think Brissy may actually finish above Tiges, Eagles, PA GC and maybe even Swans? I'm torn between Goodes and JB ATM.

20. Lucas

Sorry Thommo, can't agree > Swans.

But yes Tigers, Eagles, Port, GC. Certainly possible.

Brisbane has a side of hard at it youth and some very good senior players. Their issue is losing that real core of players in their prime.

Losing Rischitelli and Brennan was probably unforgivable, but was caused by the irrational trading of Fevola/Maguire/Raines/Buchanan/Staker/Clarke the year before.

Good news for Brisbane is these players are still there (apart from Fev).

Bad news is I don't think any of them can get any better.

Goodes v JB? I'd take Goodes with the utility ability.

JB is still worth considering but will take some real guts to do so.

Also loving the fact that Chapman could end up being a POD