Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Corks

Corks Member

I was wrong about JB when he was great in the first part of the season, but by mid-way the toll his 10 years of pack-crunching power-forward footy was taking on his body was obvious. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I think we've seen the best of JB now, and his style of footy can lead to a rapid decline. Maybe a year of sitting at FF will extend him, but won't help his SC score.

Brisbane over Sydney??? In what bizarre alternative universe is that going to happen?

2. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

Thanks for your feedback guys. Maybe I will go with Goodes after all... or maybe ROK... So much doubt with fwds this year...

Stuff it, if Chappy gets selected for R1 then I'm taking him!

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Petrie performing so well on the weekend is great, but frustratingly so. You don't want to miss the train with him. I'm not sure if a round 5 trade into him is worth a trade, and it will be more likely be 2 trades, as I doubt cows will be fat enough just yet by then, and having $100k in your kitty as a safety net is a bit much.

Perhaps due to less mid rookie options atm Krak can take Mzugu's place and Petrie slot into the forwards. Bloody Droopy, have been on and off him so much this preseason!

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I think we will see a huge rush back to Chapman.

But yeah R1 if Chapman is out I would think he could miss 3 of the first 6 games, as he might be doubtful for traveling to Perth R2.

Not the best but Chapman's fitness improved last year, and pretty much played midfield with only 23 goals (Ablett 40+, Johnson 60+)

I can see him kicking more goals from a shade more forward time but that only from the sub rule. I can't see Geelong losing both him and Ablett from the middle and not going backwards too fast for Chris Scott's liking.

5. yumcha

yumcha Member

How come there isn't much love for Michael Hurley?
    - DPP
    - Potential is very high
    - Key forward for Dees, and definitely in their future planning

And is Dion Prestia's absence over the weekend worrying anyone, or just me?

Oh and Yarran's role change. Can he do this role??

Just adding more topics of discussion.

6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Hurley is really up and down. Will be a star but just not consistent enough for SC.
    And he plays for Essendon, not the Dees! maybe you were thinking Jack Watts?

I'm almost sold on Yarran. fair risk, but fits my risk profile.

Prestia is out for me. being in the "probables" team + McKenna's comments = omission.

7. yumcha

yumcha Member

Oops. i got the team wrong. lol. Nah i meant Hurley. Watts is a definite out for me. Still looks a few year out of consideration. I'm struggling to find a dependable forward with Chappy being injured, Pav (getting bit oldd). Who do you guys think are the definite must-have forwards this year?

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

If you read a fair bit of this thread you'll see the debate ebb and flow a bit, and that will give you an idea.
    My opinion, which is both in line with and clashes with others here, would be Buddy, Cyril, Roo are must haves, and with Chappy out Pav is the obvious replacement. Of course you'll have to plan for round 6 but to me in a year of absolute carnage in the forward line, those few stand out.

9. dazza71

dazza71 New Member

if anyone cares, i did a straight swap, chappy to steve j

10. Grunta

Grunta New Member

Dazza, I care and I did the same thing. (For the moment).

11. yumcha

yumcha Member

Yeah i've been following this thread and I have all of the 3 must haves (like everyone else). The question is, as u said, what to do with the rest. How has Pav's performance been during the preseason? I haven't heard much about him and it sounds like he's been rested alot (for good reason, mind u).

12. stowie

stowie Moderator

I went Chappy to Pav, but now back to Chappy. Moved him to the midfield so if I get cold feet I can flip him over to Selwood or Joey. Arghh...

At least the Cats play Friday night, so we should know if Chappy is in or out.

13. JMac

JMac Member

Can someone tell me what is wrong with Chapman. Everyone seems to know what I don't

14. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

think he's injured mate.

15. stowie

stowie Moderator

Yeah, it was a calf injury from memory. But if he is named for Rd 1, will be hard to ignore.

16. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

<blockquote>Quote from stowie on March 15, 2011, 20:02
    Yeah, it was a calf injury from memory. But if he is named for Rd 1, will be hard to ignore.</blockquote>

He's been struggling with "groin tightness"...thats why I got rid of him.

17. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

heres a link http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/109332/default.aspx

"Chapman has been dogged by a groin problem"

18. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Still says 2-3 http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/109352/default.aspx

19. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Edit, 1-2

20. BennyC88

BennyC88 Member

Chappy has a history with his legs, mainly his hammies.
    But yeah like people said, it's the groin.

Obviously when he's going, points accumulate fast.