Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. jkvel1

jkvel1 New Member

Every year, Chapman = headache

2. Chappy

Chappy New Member

I see that everyone has Buddy and Cyril as locks. Is this without a Chappy, Stevie J or Pav? I can't see how you get the coverage in Rnd 6 without taking a massive hit.

3. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Chappy, I have Buddy, Cyril & Pav. Will send Pav to Mid Bench & bring Krak or Rohan to fwds (injuries allowing).
    Have Petrie, Matera & Darling to hopefully cover two Hawks :) Anyway that the plan!

4. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Thanks HeavyMan. This is my dilemma. Is it worth taking the risk that a Matera or Darling will play? With good scoring coverage from Krak and Petrie, is getting a Rnd 6 starting prem a better option than relying on a rookie to cover the 3rd prem.

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

My plan too, HeavyMen, hopefully it will allows to us to sneak through moderately unscathed.

6. Is anyone else going cold on Rooey? So far his pre-season really hasn't impressed me, particularly with his new kicking style. Forward line is probably hard enough already this year but I really can't see him maintaining his average over the first 6 weeks or so. Anyone else giving him the boot?

7. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Yeah, this whole FWD line is really starting to frustrate. I just caught a quick glimpse of Fox sport news and Scott said chappy was in line for RD1 so who knows. He is an hour to hour proposition at this stage, but if he is named RD1, watch everybody re-shuffle their side. BB-personally Rooey stays in my team.

8. Corks

Corks Member

I'm looking at Chappy as a mid-year upgrade target now. With no pre-season can't see him spending lots of the first 5 weeks in the mids, and Johnston is filling that role anyway, so Chappy may be overvalued at first. Prefer others...

9. PJ

PJ New Member

I'm thinking about taking Johnathan Brown. He's the only quality forward at Brisbane. He'll have to carry the side, what do you think?

10. BennyC88

BennyC88 Member

@PJ

He has a element of risk on him. Big questions will be if the midfield can get the ball to him in the forward line, rather than him travelling up the midfield constantly. They need goals and he seems to be the only route.

Second question is if he stays healthy.

He'll have the odd breakout games. But I've looked elsewhere.

11. yumcha

yumcha Member

Goodes vs Pavlich?
    Both have DPP, both have been absolute stars, and are similarly priced (somewhat).
    One has got the dreaded Round 6, the other's likely to be in the dreaded Forward spot when he scores less.

Which one would u prefer?

12. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I'd prefer Pav. Goodes will have stints in the midfield but I think Pav will be there more often.

Sort of a gut feeling to go Pav.

13. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Both sound good.

14. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

yumcha-Pav is pretty consistent and durable for a FWD and averages close to 100 most years. Goodes, well we all know what he's capable of and is way under priced to begin with at 458K as opposed to nearly 508K last year. Personally I have both. The FWD line is going to make or break teams this year that's why I have gone strong from the start in mine. I reckon you have alot more options in defence and through the middle. If most people can get through the RD6 dilemma with players from those sides affected it's half the battle as you don't have to trade into them later-trying to figure out the right bench coverage to cover these guys is the problem.

15. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from yumcha on March 16, 2011, 13:18
    Goodes vs Pavlich?
    Both have DPP, both have been absolute stars, and are similarly priced (somewhat).
    One has got the dreaded Round 6, the other's likely to be in the dreaded Forward spot when he scores less.

Which one would u prefer?</blockquote>I'm looking at starting both.

16. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Correction guys Goodes was 608K starting last year-even more good reason.

17. Corks

Corks Member

Option - start one in the forwards, and one as your 4/5 midfielder. Gives you the forward MPP, which is hard to arrange with the Rookies on offer, and then later in the season you can swap from mid to forward as a Premium, and upgrade in the mids where you need 110 averaging players.

18. Tanksforscully

Tanksforscully New Member

@corks

Why do you rate this strategy over moving a defence MPP (Goddard, Lids or Gibbs etc..) to the midfield as M4/5 and then starting more defence rookies. Then as you say switching them back later in the season and upgrading the mid rookie?

Is just to give you a forward MPP? Assuming you don't have Smith, Matera etc. as mid rookies...

19. Corks

Corks Member

Tanksforscully - yep forward MPP option attracts me to this. With Hibberd and Heppell (maybe Buckley) there are some good MPP defensive rookies. Matera's not MPP, and Smith, Prestia and Schneider don't seem likely to play that many early games, barring injury. D5 was never that "locked in" for me anyway - Grimes from Dees - so in effect I'm upgrading Grimes to Pav / Dids / Boomer.

20. Tanksforscully

Tanksforscully New Member

Right - thanks for that. Sorry meant Prestia, not Matera. Grimes is an interesting one. As a Melbourne supporter I hope he has a great year but his durability is the key issue from a SC perspective.