Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

For me Grimes is a lock - more so than Deledio.

I reckon he's poised to break out.

2. yumcha

yumcha Member

Goodes normally has a tendency to start real slow. But I read in some article somewhere that he's fully aware of that and trying to rectify this. Reckon an old dawg can learn new tricks?

Re: Pav, he's a solid one but he's bound to be in midfield this year and his scores seemed to be declining year on year. By that logic, he should be declining even more this year??

Harvey is the other 'fossil' i'm thinking about. I thought he would be a goner by last year, but he proved me wrong and in fact won me few games in my league. Plus Roos midfield still need him as that "playmaker".

Which of the three would u take? Or all of them?? =)

3. I've gone with all of them, Pav Goodes and Buddy are my forward premiums with Boomer in the mids. Barring injury IMO they're the most consistent and their teams hinge a lot on them

4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I'd take Pav and Buddy without question.

Goodes is in and out of my team, but has many question marks.

No Boomer for me.

5. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Addam Maric? Any Dees supporters know much about him. He has apparently played well in all of the NAB Cup/Challenge games.

6. lezyeoh

lezyeoh New Member

morko, think he has had a damn good pre season, but still not sure if he's in the best 22. Good skills though. But he's that small forward type, so that tends to mean inconsistency.

Think there are some rookies out there that will moo more.

7. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Goodes has been in my squad for a long time now, but with Darling and Tapscott presenting as good rookie options, and Cox in the rucks- it's making it very difficult to select him!

8. Don't do it Walesy! You know that when he stands on Frawleys head in round one and picks up a lazy 30 touches you'll regret it...

9. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Who has more upside - Dawes or Neon Leon?

10. Supercat

Supercat New Member

what do people think of steve johnson? I read that he was going to play a lot more midfield this year. Maybe to fill an ablett style role in the middle. Hope he can stay injury free.

11. Chappy

Chappy New Member

<blockquote>Quote from port_leschenault on March 18, 2011, 21:30
    Who has more upside - Dawes or Neon Leon?</blockquote>

I would definitely say Dawes. Neon way too inconsistent. I reckon Dawes will be one of the stories this year.
    Also think Neon will be subbed quite a bit.

12. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

Got an interesting one here.

Chappy Yarren

or

S.Johnson Higgins

???

13. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Higgins, Higgins, Higgins. I now wake up thinking about you. Am I being too serious? :D

I just don't think he is worth the risk. If we ignore the standard risk-assesment that you give mid-prices and look at Higgins, Knights, Petrie, Krakouer individually then you can see the advantages the other 3 have over Higgins.

All have been proven 80+ scorers but if you figure on 70ppg then Higgins goes no where and the others get you 100-150k for trading. Even if we predict that all will match their good seasons, K-P-K will still be far better off if they get 80ppg than Higgins getting 90ppg and having to become a poor mans premium/lock.

Now, I do see an upside to him. Out of all, he's most likely to be the one to consistently get 80ppg and as such could be a F7 lock from the start.

Thoughts?

14. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I sacked Higgins about 4 days ago from my lineup.

15. fryzie

fryzie New Member

Chappy is going to be going in with 0 pre-season games under his belt, whereas Stevie J has been dominant. Either one has a risk though, Chappy's injury history vs. Stevie J's history of inconsistency.

And then from your other two options it's the reverse, Higgin's injury history vs. Yarran's scoring uncertainty.

You could see SJ averaging 100 this year and Higgins 90, with Chappy averaging 115 and Yarran averaging 75 with risks being similar and the only difference being MPP.

I think Stevie J and Higgins combo has more upside if they both play midfield but if Chappy stays fit will be the highest averaging forward available AND has MPP which is a bonus. Too many question marks over Yarran though IMO.

I think Stevie J and Higgins is the winner mainly due to Chapman's lack of pre-season and Yarran's uncertainty, but I hope this analysis helps you work through it.

16. Supercat

Supercat New Member

Yeah, I really think SJ is a smokey here, When SJ is playing his best football he can average 110. He can be good for 25 touches and three goals a week. Just gotta stay fit, thats the question here.

17. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

I think I might be in trouble...I have higgins, yarran, johnson already and was gonna bring in chappy later in the year. lol

18. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

@fryzie

Thanks mate, good assessment. I'm interested to hear from Lucas as well. I know he's going to have Chappy Round 1 if selected.

19. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

On the other hand, Chappy is the only one really likely to pull out a 150+ game... Even with a 70-80 from Yarran, that's 220+ whereas Higgins is a pretty consistent sub 100 player. Stevie J can go well, but will probably score 15 in rd one then sit out rounds 2-7 after playing on Stevie Baker!

20. crew

crew New Member

Tapscott...........Thoughts. I want him but he's been under the radar so far. Anyone got an opinion ?.