Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

At 185k, Gamble is basically an expensive rookie. But i can't see him scoring as much as Swallow, Gaff etc. He will be behind so many in Saint Kilda's forward line won't he? Riewoldt, Kosi/ruck, Gilbert, etc.

2. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Cant really compare mid rookies with forward rookies imo. Gamble will more then likely ave more then most the forward rookies and probably has better job security then most of them.

Kosi is injured and not expected back til at least round 3. Schneider is suspended for few weeks early. Stanley is club suspended so who knows when he will come back, same as Steven. That only leaves Riewoldt, Milne, McQualter (id play Gamble ahead of him) as our forwards.

I dont buy into Ross Lyon saying Gilbert will play forward this year, im sure he will but it will be like how he did in the GF, pinch hitting up there. Wont be a permanent fixture, we lose to much from our backline if he does.

3. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

I'd rather have an actual priced rookie in there like Callinan from the crows. Otherwise put in a slightly more expensive Jack Watts. But not $185k first timer, it's too expensive.

Same with swallow and such, It wont be like last year, when you put a player in cheap and after his first 3 games jumps 80k because they've already added that first jump into their price!

4. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

<blockquote>Quote from austin on February 12, 2011, 10:07
    @Stkildathunder

I'm considering taking Gamble ahead of Knights at the moment, I'm surprised more people aren't looking at him. At &#36;184,900 he's not exactly going to go backwards.</blockquote>

He just might go backwards. He is going to be playing next to Milne and we did see him score negatives last year!

5. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

<blockquote>Quote from stkildathunda on February 12, 2011, 12:06
    Cant really compare mid rookies with forward rookies imo. Gamble will more then likely ave more then most the forward rookies and probably has better job security then most of them.</blockquote>

I was actually comparing him to similarly priced rookies. While he may score more than most forward rookies, he is also priced higher than all of them. Look at it like Gamble + 100k mid rookie vs Swallow + 100k forward rookie. Considering the bargains in the forward line, he is simply too much, and won't make enough money for mine. Also, if he gets stuck in a forward pocket, with a lot of the ball getting directed to Roo, Kosi etc., you could see some really poor scores, and even his really good games i can't see him scoring more than 4 or 5 goals and 100 SC points.

6. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

I guess it comes down to which position you need to fill. If you need to fill your F7 with a rookie priced player then I would think he would be a better choice as he has better game security and knows what the AFL is all about.

You wouldnt be expecting your rookies to be doing anything you've mentioned either though.

7. aj

aj Member

I thought Gamble was recruited by the Saints to play the "McAffer" role. Third tall who can play small and will probably score accordingly

Had him in his debut year and so have had passing interest in him since. New club and all, but I would have thought there were better options.

8. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Just quickly off Ryan Gamble, what are peoples thoughts on Jack Riewoldt? Reckon he can move up to score around his cousin and Franklin this year?

9. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

<blockquote>Quote from stkildathunda on February 12, 2011, 13:23
    I guess it comes down to which position you need to fill. If you need to fill your F7 with a rookie priced player then I would think he would be a better choice as he has better game security and knows what the AFL is all about.

You wouldnt be expecting your rookies to be doing anything you've mentioned either though. </blockquote>

He is nearly twice the price that many of the alternatives are though. e.g Callinan, Richardson, Matera, Mzungu. He would have to score an extra 10-15+ points on any of these guys to make as much money.

10. crew

crew New Member

My forward line is Chappy, Rooey, Goods ?, Rioli, Johnson (Freo), Petrie, Crackhore bench Prestia, Richardson (Nth) Callinan. ????

11. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Mitch Morton is looking like a good thing early on in this Tigers game...

12. aj

aj Member

Gratz on your 100th post, Thunder :)

I liked the look of Duigan as well. Moves well and is a nice kick

13. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

:) cheers aj

Yea didnt mind the look of him.. Think he is a lock if he is named round 1 for me..

Not impressed with Krakwhore so far... Performances like this wont see him in their best 22...

14. aj

aj Member

Yeah a pretty quiet one for Krak. Did a couple of nice things though. He's not supremely quick though and not sure if he, Ball, Sidey and Beams can be in the same team. Blair's not so quick either but played a couple of blinders. Thought he was the pies' best tonight

15. spud

spud New Member

Was a bit disappointed with Krak as well.
    Have to be mindful about taking too much out of the nab cup, but even more so these silly little rotation games.

Thankfully we should get another chance to see him in a fortnights time.

Thought Blair did a good job too, AJ.
    Having seen what Pendles has done to his hair, Swan is now definitely a lock for the 'pies midfielder' spot!

16. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

Is Gamble looking any better with prestia being listed in the possibilities side and krakour not setting the world alight as everyone thought he would? I just think the job security at that price is too hard to ignore...but I'll wait to see how he plays next week before making any final decisions. Atm he sits in D7 for me.

17. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Do you mean F7?

And Morton definitely reignited himself as a "smokey" once more. Can definitely find the sticks.

18. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Leigh Brown? Looks confident in these games I thought. At 363k, he can be both fwd and def. But will he increase on his Supercoach average of just 74?

19. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Nick on February 13, 2011, 14:43
    Do you mean F7?

And Morton definitely reignited himself as a "smokey" once more. Can definitely find the sticks. </blockquote>
    Morton was definitely better as a wing last year though. Worries me (from a SC perspective) that he was camped up forward against the blues. Who else is going to kick goals for the Tiges apart from JRoo? Morton isn't valuable enough as a pure fwd.

20. aj

aj Member

@Brocky: yeah I had to pull myself up the other night and find myself something else to do when I'd worked out a way to justify having Leroy in my squad.

Thing is that if the game had recognised him as F/R MPP which is really what he plays, then you'd have a potential trade option for later in the year if Petrie got himself totalled again. Would make some decent bench coverage imho.

Regardless, I can see Leroy scoring a couple of tons this year. He hit quite a purple patch towarsd the end of 2010. For that price, I'm happy to go for someone else though.