Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

No to Leigh Brown

Morton is an interesting one, but he'd have to be a keeper to select.

For that he'd probably have to average mid 90s.

Can't see it happening.

On Gamble, might be worth betting on is all I can say. Ross Lyon and the Recycled always worth watching.

2. Stew

Stew New Member

As has been documented in the press, Morton has slimmed down in an attempt to get more midfield rotation.
    However, this move to the middle would more depend on the development of Taylor and Griffiths up front.... if they don't come along, then the old set-up will most likely be reverted too....

Interestingly, a fair few of the recent line-ups on the Yellow and Black website have Morton in the Super-Sub role, which is a bit scary for potential suitors... can't see it happening myself.

http://www.yellowandblack.info/community/topic/12337-your-2011-lineup/page__st__50

Conca's spot in the line-up is also an issue of contention.

3. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on February 16, 2011, 09:40
    For that he'd probably have to average mid 90s.

Can't see it happening.
    </blockquote>

He did average 105 last year once he got moved into the middle though.

4. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

Morton is my smokey so anybody considering him should look elsewhere just for that reason ;)

I see both Morton and Dangerfield being the big improvers in the forwards this year.

5. walesy

If anyone remembers by Jan1 review of Morton-
    "Mitch Morton: The 2011 hype machine. If the preseason was a drinking game, you’d do a shot everyone tried to tell you to shut up about Mitch cause he’s their smoky. He requested to go down to the VFL last year in order to learn the ropes in the midfield, where upon his return, averaged 105 over his 6 games played. You just can’t go wrong paying for an average of 77 when he moves into the mids. Lock him in early."

Guess we should be doing a shot right now ;)

6. LiQuiD_SiXx

haha love it walesy!

is it just coincidence that until now talk on Morton had been strangely quiet?

@stew
    isnt the reason why Miller was recruited to Tigerland was to allow Morton freedom into the midfield?

7. Stew

Stew New Member

I think he was more recruited for injury cover...
    but we will see.

I love the idea of Morton and Danger... but just can't give it the go-ahead. Can't see either of them being in the top 10 forwards for the season. But the comp is won and lost on decisions such as these.

8. Lucas

Morton is an interesting case for sure.

Who'd have guessed more possessions and tackles leads to more score?

With Richmond's late bye...hmmm....

9. Lucas

Stew...a 100 average would definitely put him top 10.

The thing is mid 80s would make him top 20 and still quite good for the price.

With the late bye he then becomes the upgrade in mid season (eg Tigers first bye) to a fallen premium.

On the salary predictor mid 80s is flat lining, which means there are going to be quite a few forward premiums heading south early in the season one must conclude.

10. Stew

Stew New Member

I suppose you are right.... all going to plan it would be a simple sideways, thus burning only 1 trade, and still getting the &#36;200k if factoring Morton/Danger +100K, and Fallen Premium (ie Didak) -100k.... and they have given us extra trades this year... although according to my season modelling, I need far less trades than last year to reach my target team.

11. LiQuiD_SiXx

thats similar to my line of thinking stew. right now i have Morton and Danger at F6 and F7 respectively. Best case scenario is they both hit 90-95 ppg and become keepers or some good timing could result in a good sideways trade to a fallen premium.

12. lezyeoh

lezyeoh New Member

I've read this entire thread and yet still have no idea who to pick F4, F5.
    So far, locks are Chappy, Roo and Rioli.
    Then it comes down to:
    Dids...been injured
    Buddy...can't have him cause of dreaded round 6 bye.
    Pav...same as buddy
    Harvey...too old
    Brown...too injury prone
    Then its a toss up between Green, Goodes, Rok, Sylvia, Cloke, Waite, Higgins, Grey, Danger, Morton,

F6 depending on whether petrie goes into R2, it could be him. Krak? best 22? watts?,

F7 is def gonna be rookie.

Help? Thoughts?

13. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

@lezyeoh
    Unless one of those listed players does enough to convince you that he's the one, then i suggest adding another rookie to your forward line and spending the money on a premium elsewhere.

Of those though, i reckon Green could be a great POD, he played well in the NAB cup game, and with Mcdonald and Bruce gone, Melbourne will look to him to pick up some of the slack. There will also be more points available at Melbourne than last year, due to retirements etc.

14. Dylbags

Dylbags New Member

What do people think about Jack Watts as 6th forward and a unique?

15. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I think that from one NAB cup game, we can't assume Watts has hit his straps just yet. Its one of the only decent (fantasy wise) games I have seen him play. For me I wouldn't touch him, but this time next year he'll prob be sitting in my F5 or F6.

@lezyeoh
    I would go Buddy over Cyril personally.
    For your F4 or F5, I think you should have ONE of Goodes and ROK as both represent value. I then would go for either Gray, Danger or Morton. However they have their own issues. Gray is more than injury prone - he struggles to string games together big time. But fit he is a star.
    Danger everyone has been waiting for to explode, is this the year? Hard to say at this stage.
    Morton - everybody's old smokey - looked good in the Tigers' two losses, but as someone pointed out, seemed to be playing too deep forward, and not enough in the mids to rack up the possessions we need him to.

16. Lucas

Watts OK for mine. In my team for about a quarter second before I whipped him out.

But certainly has claims at the price.

17. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

I've actually got Brent Macaffer sitting in my FWD line atm, really like the way he went about it last year. His price tag is pretty hefty though at just under 400K. Also, am looking at Jarrad Waite(fairly expensive too)- reckon he could have a really good year if he cuts out the brain fades.

18. walesy

At that kind of price tag, you'd want him to be one of the top forwards in the league next year. Reckon Brent's got it in him?

19. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

That's the only thing I have to weigh up walesy- his &#36;&#36;&#36; tag. The guy looks like he can seriously play so hopefully he can average around 90-95ppg with some big tons sprinkled in. Long way to go before lock-out so my teams gonna change before then.

20. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Once again with the discussion about Collingwood players raising their averages, where do the points come from? Unless the likes of Swan, Didak, Pendles, Jolly etc. have lower averages this year, then the likes of Mcaffer, Krakouer, Beams etc., simply cannot rise the way people are hoping. These points have to come from somewhere, and considering Collingwood took a fair chunk of the 3300 pie last year, i can't see too many extra points coming from the other team.