Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bonesy

bonesy Member

I think you have that backwards Limo? Cyril had a 19 the week before he exploded into form. Buddy's lowest was a 73.

2. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ Bonesy

Oops us old blokes have bad memories - Maybe it felt like 19. I reckon I bought him round nine after a 130 ish score and he had his lowest score the next week.

Does that sound right ?

3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Jason on February 20, 2011, 07:43
    Is it a bad idea to start both Franklin and Rioli in the FWD line? I think that both of these guys will be in the top 10 for FWDS at the end of the year, which is why I want them from the start. Rioli seems likely to have a bigger role in the midfield in 2011 and seems to have plenty of upside on his starting price, which is already basically premium (for a forward). Franklin just scores so well in SC, and at his age, I can't see him dropping anything in terms of output this year.

But R6 is killing me. With Chappy and 2 Hawks, I can't have any other FWDs from these teams (I. Smith) or Freo (Hi Mzungu!) which is a major pain.

Is anybody else looking at this dilemma in the FWD line?</blockquote>
    I have exactly exactly the same problem.
    Rioli and Buddy up forward - Chappy too. and i got Mzungu and Smith in mids. leaves me 1 live player on both benches combined (presuming all my other players are getting games around then)...
    bit of a dilema. but im willing to take the risk on this one. All 5 players are looking at big years imo. Smith is prob the most droppable, but im also thinking he may have fattened up enough by R6 to be able to cash him in. but as a hawks supporter i hope not, hope he has a huge year and becomes a keeper - but im not holding out hope on that one. Mzungu is a chance for that though imo.

4. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

I think nearly everyone struggling with this!

Choppy. Buddy. And Cyril were the first three forwards that I wanted..

5. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

another big problem with this, is i would love to have Bartel and SJohnson as well. but definitely cant fit them all in.

6. austin

austin New Member

With Mzungu a must-have, the only way you'll fit in Chap/Bud/ioli is through DPP. I think it could be doable, but would be a thin stretch at R6, all of your Forwards will need to be playing. Personally I'm going with two of the premiums.

7. spud

spud New Member

Likewise, Ant.

Both look like they'll represent some good value based on the first round of the NAB, but once again we have the damn round6 issue. I still believe Selwood will score more than Jimmy over the season, but to see Jimmy nearly 90k cheaper is dangerously tempting.

I'm of the thought this year that you want the best 6 gun midfielders in there by years end, so if you don't think the player will be in the top6 mids, don't bother (which i don't think Bartel will be). But at sub500k he's representing some serious value, and potentially freeing up enough cash to make a decent upgrade elsewhere (could mean the difference between a swallow/bennell or a 110k rookie for example)

If I were going for league only, I'd probably jump on him and pendles as opposed to Selwood/Swan (would probably get Selwood as well actually,I don't think he's over or under by much) as I reckon they'll definitely go up in price fairly early on.

Stevie J - If he comes up against Baker in round1, he could be sitting out a few rounds

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Perhaps re: Cyril/Buddy dilemma is it worth copping a zero and getting the two forwards you want?

I am tempted to start both, having trouble deciding between Pav and Cyril atm. And bloody Stevie J's stellar performance adds another option.

9. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

@ spud

If he comes up against Bakes this week they could both miss a few games of the regular season!!!

10. Heater

Heater New Member

So far I have gone with Chappy, Riewoldt, Rioli, ROK, Krak and Higgins. I then have Richardson, I.Smith, Darling. I too was tempted to have Buddy & Rioli but I've gone off that..... Things may change though!

11. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

And I guess you have Callinan as well Heater

12. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Richardson, Callinan, Darling, Smith, Mzunga, Prestia, Matera...then you have Knights, Petrie, Gamble, Krackour, Ablett.

What I thought was a drought turns out to be a flood!

13. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

I still stand by my previous advice. Start with Cyril, and bring Buddy in later, possibly just after round 6. If Rioli is going to explode this year, he will likely do it from the start, whereas Buddy is more likely to have a few sub 90 games where his price will drop.

14. crew

crew New Member

C Knights Adl &#36;237.5K ....Just got a "training the house down" from a Crows trainer.......Thoughts ?

15. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ Crew

In my team from day one.

16. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Ruddy is correct.

I thought the year start could be ominous for Buddy, but now that I have another look, it's not so good.

Adelaide away - could be tough. If it rains especially.
    Melbourne. Not the easiest. Is Frawley back.

Then it's Richmond-WCE chomp chomp, before Geelong and the bye (when you want him in)

Given he needs to score 110-115 average to keep his current price, I think over those 5 games he should do that and not much more.

I think Rioli is more of a chance to average 100 through that period, upping his value to just below Buddy's by the bye.

17. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

I've noticed that Mzunga is looming as a must have.

Are coaches pairing him as MPP with a FWD or a MID ?

18. port_leschenault

Well, you need someone in your mids who's an M/F. Either him or Smith if you have him.

19. port_leschenault

When I say need, chances are you will have a forward who's also listed as a midfielder. You'll need someone to swap with if you have Chapman for example.

20. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Aye- the Calculator says that Franky get's toweled by the Crows in Adelaide. He could be absolutely cherry ripe come round 11.