Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Mzungu, Callinan and Matera will be in just about every team, crossing into the mids for that link.

2. spud

spud New Member

The risk of not starting Buddy is that he explodes with a couple of 150+ games before you bring him in. If he mixes those in with a few ~80ish games, then sure, it won't hurt in terms of price, but missing those large points in a round can hurt.

Value wise, Rioli looks better, but it's missing out on points if he does explode early that scares me. Similarly to the idea of starting Pendles over Swan - the opportunity to miss out on those big 150+ scores is a huge downside.

3. spud

spud New Member

<blockquote>Quote from walesy on February 21, 2011, 16:54
    Aye- the Calculator says that Franky get's toweled by the Crows in Adelaide. He could be absolutely cherry ripe come round 11.</blockquote>

The hawks get toweled interstate. Period!

Will need to fix that this year if they want to make the top4. Too much pressure on having to win each and every other victorian/tassie game if they throw in the interstate ones.

Does the ticker show what rounds Buddy is likely to miss through suspension? That could be a good feature to add :) "History shows us he gets suspended against teams x,y,z(a through z would be more like it! no, there's not 26 teams, i know that) for this many weeks, so will likely miss matches against these teams in 2011"

4. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ port_leschenault

I have Mzunga as a Mid paired with 3 M/F's who can MPP.

Just curious if anyone is going the other way and pairing with a Chappy/Dids in the Mids and putting Mzunga in FWD's.

I feel he has to go in Mids to pair with the best M/F's in Fwd line.

Just looking for opposing opinions.

5. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ Walesy

Is Brandon Matera MPP ?

6. crew

crew New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Limo23 on February 21, 2011, 17:10
    @ port_leschenault

Just curious if anyone is going the other way and pairing with a Chappy/Dids in the Mids and putting Mzunga in FWD's.

Just looking for opposing opinions.</blockquote>
    I have him forward with Boomer and Smith in the middle: reason I think Mzunga is worth starting on the park and Smith better on the mid pine. Feel less chance at leaving points on the pine.

7. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

<blockquote>Quote from crew on February 21, 2011, 17:21
    <blockquote>Quote from Limo23 on February 21, 2011, 17:10
    @ port_leschenault

Just looking for opposing opinions.</blockquote>
    I have him forward with Boomer and Smith in the middle: reason I think Mzunga is worth starting on the park and Smith better on the mid pine. Feel less chance at leaving points on the pine.</blockquote>

Makes a lot of sense. I have him and Callinan both on the pine. Here's hoping Kraks is up to it - V2011.

8. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

This is just my opinion, and I don't claim to be any expert or expect people to follow it but I think having a MPP Premium in your midfield is a waste. For starters, if you think he's that good, then he would surely be a standout in defence or forward where he'll be a bigger fish in a smaller pond so to speak whereas in the Mid, there's plenty of other option you could pick from and a potential gain you're missing out on.

I think the only disadvantage I see there is that it may make you change one of your rookies for a MPP one and miss out on a bigger cash cow but if you plan wisely, I don't think that'd be too big of a hurdle anyway.

9. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

<blockquote>Quote from port_leschenault on February 21, 2011, 18:14
    This is just my opinion, and I don't claim to be any expert or expect people to follow it but I think having a MPP Premium in your midfield is a waste. For starters, if you think he's that good, then he would surely be a standout in defence or forward where he'll be a bigger fish in a smaller pond so to speak whereas in the Mid, there's plenty of other option you could pick from and a potential gain you're missing out on.

I think the only disadvantage I see there is that it may make you change one of your rookies for a MPP one and miss out on a bigger cash cow but if you plan wisely, I don't think that'd be too big of a hurdle anyway.</blockquote>

Exactly my thoughts on MPP - I only have one MPP M/F and one MPP D/M in the Mids of my team ATM. Cheers.

10. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Limo23 on February 21, 2011, 17:17
    @ Walesy

Is Brandon Matera MPP ?

</blockquote>

Apparently not! :) Must have got mixed up with Prestia.

11. crew

crew New Member

I think the only disadvantage I see there is that it may make you change one of your rookies for a MPP one and miss out on a bigger cash cow but if you plan wisely, I don't think that'd be too big of a hurdle anyway.</blockquote>

Can see your point but I try and run 2 in each line if I can. Reasons is I usually suffer injuries weekly just something I seem to run bad with and also I only run for league win so overall score not so important but being consistent is and trades come finals priority #1. Also don't like over looking premium rookies and having to take rookies for MPP and risk having deadwood on the pine that cant get a regular gig. This is only my opinion and to explain where I'm coming from.

12. boydshow

boydshow Guest

<blockquote>Quote from Limo23 on February 21, 2011, 19:33
    Exactly my thoughts on MPP - I only have one MPP M/F and one MPP D/M in the Mids of my team ATM. Cheers.</blockquote>

So will they be permarookies, or will you trade them in for another MPP option?

13. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

I'm starting with Buddy, Chappy and Rioli in the forward line with Mzungu and Smith in the mids. So far will be avoiding a donut but only just atm. I'm taking this risk as I can see all 3 in the top 6 forwards for the year. I also have Rooey so I am confident I've already got 4 out of the top 6 Forwards. I will upgrade to Didak. I am unsure who will be the other top 6 forward this year and that is the reason for not picking someone else. Will wait and see who earns that last upgrade.

Who do others think will be the top 6 forwards for the year?

14. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

<blockquote>Quote from griff on February 21, 2011, 22:25
    Exactly my thoughts on MPP - I only have one MPP M/F and one MPP D/M in the Mids of my team ATM. Cheers.</blockquote>

So will they be permarookies, or will you trade them in for another MPP option?</blockquote>

To be honest i'm really hoping they will be permarookies and not "permafrost on their arse" rookies.

I'm pretty confident with the extra bench posi that cashies/rookies can be brought through and slaughtered in the other two bench spots unlike last year when deadwood on the bench was a killer.

If Smith, Callinan and Mzuri all play round one then their aren't a lot of mid MPP rookies to replace my two with so I maybe forced into using D10, F10 and M9 purely for rotations throughout the season.

Reading betwixt the lines of a few of Lucas' posts I think he might be hinting that this is ok ?

15. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

@ Griff

The one presumption is that Freo's love of the Mature age rookie means Mzuri will play a swag of games and skyrocket in price - my only chance for the 50k as I see it.

If he does he can then be used to upgrade late in the season into a gun Mid MPP - et al Pav, Harv's or Goodes. Hopefully one of them is in top 6 Mids for year.

If this works he will have served his purpose.

16. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Correct-o-mundo

I had ROK last year and it stuffed me big time.

3 premium mids, no links. Use two of Heppell/Hibberd/Mzungu/Prestia in the mids and load up with other rookies.

So you go with either 3 prem mids or 2, depending on your rookie risk profile

17. Heater

Heater New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on February 21, 2011, 14:29
    And I guess you have Callinan as well Heater</blockquote>

No, mate, Richardson. Saw him play a bit last year and I reckon he could play a bit with North Melbourne.

18. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Agree with you on that one 99&#37; of the time. I have to admit I do have Mzungu in the mids at the moment but that might change. Similarly I have one M/D rookie in the mids as well to help any crossovers - though Goddard, Gibbs, Lids, etc also help.

Just on the forward line - very similar issues re Round 6 - wanted Rioli, Franklin, Chappy and was contemplating Pav and SJohnson but can't put them all in.

Chapman has stayed, tossing up re Rioli/Franklin, haven't put Pav in and SJ might still come in (though I've got Higgins there at the moment, but with no great confidence).

Going to leave things for now and continue to think about it over coming weeks (and matches).

19. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

It is interesting to see people starting with so many mpp links in their sides. While mpp is great, i honestly think too much of it, sacrifices points, and money. Ultimately, unless you are copping a 0 without mpp, it is basically a question of forward rookie vs midfield rookie, at the expense of getting a weaker/slower cash cow.

Personally, my plan for mpp is to start with the best cashcows in all lines, and when i downgrade them, downgrade to a cheap mpp, regardless of whether they are playing or not. You only really need one mpp rookie per link, and even then, if you have got your structures right from the beginning, it is a matter of forward bench player vs midfield bench player.

20. spud

spud New Member

I think with so many 'unknowns' this year MPP is looking more important, or at least attractive, as we're unsure the exact effect it will have on supercoach. I see it almost as an insurance policy or a bit of a 'oh &#36;h!t' buffer.

It allows you to push the limits a tad as well with the multibye rounds.

If i were wanting to start 3 forwards from freo/geelong/hawthorn, I know I'd need 3 playing bench players for round 6 to cover them. Not having any MPP links in the midfield would be taking a huge risk from the the word go, as any unexpected injurys/withdraws to any of the bench players or the remaining forwards would either force you to trade or cop a zero.

If one of your forward rookies, C.Richardson for example, isn't listed to play due to a 1 week illness for round 6, rather than having to cash him in and trade him to someone to cover a zero before he has appreciated fully, you can work around it. By having, say, a Callinan (F/M) on the mid bench, you could move Chapman on the mid bench and cover him with Callinan instead.

For sure, you could structure your team so that you take a risk and have 3 non-playing forwards in round6 but 'should' have 3 playing forward bench guys and if the bench players are better prospects than their MPP equivalents and things go to plan, you'll be up on the others.

But this is SuperCoach, and if there's one thing you need to plan for, it's the unexpected (injuries/suspensions/illnesses/withdraws), and utilising MPP this year is the first step to doing just that.