Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. yumcha

yumcha Member

What's the word on Travis Cloke? First I thought "no way". but then i checked his last few games last year and they were in the 90-100s! Maybe he's figured out how to kick between the posts?

Pies fans in this forum ... any word on him?

2. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Keepin Drew Petrie at F7 at this stage. Obviously RD1&3 are gone but have adequate coverage. At 216K he's going to make money-no brainer really.

3. What are everyones thought on Majak Daw and Zephaniah Skinner? Daw's looking like a prospect but not sure if Skinner will get games

4. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Eade has gone on the record to say that Skinner will be starting 2011 at Williamstown.

Daw, whilst clearly athletic, looked out of his depth last weekend. I think he needs more time.

5. spud

spud New Member

Agreed with Jason on that one.

Daw looks like a prospect player. A year in the reserves learning about the game will help immensely.

6. buzz

buzz Member

This damn F5 position is a big concern. I've fluctuated from Higgins, to krak and now onto dangermouse. Ideally will be F7 keeper and has Mpp also. Cheaper than Higgins. Gotta be gettin close to the big breakout. He would provide me with my number 15 hopeful keepers.
    Having krak in there was good money wise but making me sweat. I've seen nothing to warrant the hype yet and would never envisage him as a keeper, even at F7.

7. buzz

buzz Member

Blue thunder won last year with a no guts no glory approach last year. Maybe to win you need to be less conservative and pick your better players and back in your bench and mpp to cover you for R 6 and the like. Ie get chappy,Cyril,buddy and pav into starting lineup.

8. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from buzz on February 24, 2011, 22:51
    Blue thunder won last year with a no guts no glory approach last year. Maybe to win you need to be less conservative and pick your better players and back in your bench and mpp to cover you for R 6 and the like. Ie get chappy,Cyril,buddy and pav into starting lineup.</blockquote>
    not sure if i would take it that far though.

9. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

After revisiting the threads on team structure, and last years winning team, I've totally rejigged the forward line. Premium/keepers only and rookies. Chappy, Roo, Buddy, Didak, Day, Lynch T, Mzungu and Smith, Callinan, Richardson on the bench. Krak and Higgins out -too much speculation about being in the top ten.

10. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

From what I'm seeing there is probably justification to play one midranger in all positions, but the issue is getting the right one.

For a low risk team, you can just play pure GNR but if you want to reward that comes from picking the bullet, that's where you need to risk on this.

Higgins I think is a reasonable risk, but the return if he gets regular midfield minutes is quite good. I'm thinking top 10 forwards is certainly not out of reach.

11. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

Jack Riewoldt? Top ten last year (just). Pending knee seriousness, he could move up the charts to solidify his top ten status this year.

12. I was on J Roo from the start this year but I think that after the Coleman (which I think was one out of the box) his price and expectations might be a bit above where he's at. Having said that a few 100+ scores early on and I'll be all over it

13. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Its Higgins vs ROK for me for F5. Haven't seen much of either so will have to watch closely. Both have their risks and quite large upsides.

Dids will be an upgrade target.

On a side note, Addam Maric? Showed a bit last night. Maybe not enough for SC selection but is one to keep in mind. However could be at a difficult price.

14. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

With Round 6 bye probs for Hawks plus the Hawks run to round 6 (which will cause probs for Buddy as noted above) and Didak's injury, I'm taking a gamble on Higgins and Jroo from the get-go. Buddy and Diddles will be the upgrade targets.

15. Anyone rating Dawes this year? Latter half of last year and pre-season so far have been pretty impressive for me, his price is a bit awkward but if he can get regular games he could come close to premium

16. Heater

Heater New Member

Have always rated Dawes from the start but for me he needs to start kicking some bags. Love how he presents himself, sets up play, etc but love to see him take a few more contested marks and then convert to goals. Then he would be in my side. Having said that his game time last week showed he has started where he left off last season and may have stepped up a notch or two. He's not playing tonight so we may have to wait a week or so to see if his form from last week continues...

17. bonesy

bonesy Member

18. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

^ Wow - informative read.

"couldn't really kick, that's why I was kicking a lot on the right foot and handballing the ball off a lot" - explains his massive drop in scores.

Groin reconstruction? Alarm bells are going off.

The Higgins vs ROK choice just changed a little again.

That of course goes with the caveat that if Goodes was sure of midfield time he'd beat them both.

19. laineyboy23

laineyboy23 New Member

cyril rioli was one of the first i picked up this year, he has built up his engine and all signs are that he is moving into the midfeilder. because he is a game breaker im hoping alot of big scores this year 140+

20. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

<blockquote>Quote from laineyboy23 on February 25, 2011, 15:37
    cyril rioli was one of the first i picked up this year, he has built up his engine and all signs are that he is moving into the midfeilder. because he is a game breaker im hoping alot of big scores this year 140+ </blockquote>

Provided Rioli is fit, i would expect him to go top five in the forwards.