Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Banzai

Banzai New Member

Having a great deal of trouble deciding on my last Midfield spot (last chosen, not M6)... anyone got any imput on the choice between Watson, Swallow (NM) and Priddis? May seem like strange choices but I really want to dodge byes doubling up, and a bit of POD cant hurt.

2. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Personally, the reason i took Jack out from my team, is he seems to have gone back to the tagging role, probably due to the lack of Kirk. While he will probably improve enough to keep his average at around 100 even when tagging, the real points rise would have come if he became a creative midfielder, and went from 20 disposals per game to 25.

Meanwhile, Kennedy has really been impressing, and he could be in for a breakout year.

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Exactly the reason I removed him also. I upgraded him to Boyd.

Kennedy is looking appealing but history has taught us not to get caught up with pre-season hype.

4. Zander

Zander Moderator

I received the Fantasy Freako email (not sure if that's a swear word round here or not), but it mentioned Boyd had the 3rd highest avge in Dream Team last year.If that's true is he really inefficient?
    I'm thinking of putting him in my S/Coach team too (at the expense of Jack) but maybe might go with Cooney instead...

5. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

The thing about Kennedy, is there are facts that back him up. For instance, he played all 24 games last year, finished third in the BnF, and was internally recognized as Sydney's best player during the finals.

And something interesting, i went to look up his round-by-round SC scores from last year, and Kennedy isn't actually in the stats. I'll send Walesy a message to let him know.

6. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

@Zander
    In terms of ineffeciency in the midfield, the Bulldogs were really bad last year - certainly compared to previous years for the club. Boyd was a culprit, but not really any more so than Cross or Griffen or Cooney.

@Ruddy
    Walesy already knows. There are many players who share the same first and surnames, Josh Kennedy is one. Tom Lynch is another. The stats here at TS are missing I think it is 7 or 8 players at the moment, mostly because of the duplicated name situation.

I had a series of messages with Walesy to let him know about a month ago. Must still be on his to-do list at the moment.

7. Daveo

Daveo Member

@ Ruddy

re missing stats:

I think we can safely say that with a name like steel sidebottom he will never have that issue.

Oh and on midfielders

Here is a cheap mid price Brodie martin. IMO is in 4 a big year. Lets hope he can stay fit.

8. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Ah ok mate. Well i sent him a message before i read your post haha, so now he's been reminded =p.

9. suther

suther Member

Does anyone know the story with Byron Schammer..?

Is it simply that his time as caretaker for the new generation is over?

10. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Daveo
    Have been looking at Martin for a while now.
    Keeps getting named in the side so that's all you can do.

Got Goodwin's old number. Not sure if that means anything, but certainly when he's been fit, he's been able to put up 80s. For a kid with inexperience, that's an excellent sign.

He's certainly a risk in the midfield though, and I'm not sure I'm that gutsy to make the call on him.

11. The_General

The_General Member

Hi Guys,

Would like some opinions on who you would rather start off with A. Swallow or Montagna.

Getting Montagna will require a little bit of tweeking to my team but may only come down to downgrading either of Atley or Prestia to someone 10k cheaper, so not a big change.

My thoughts are that you have to believe that your premium mids are going to be top 6 by the end of the year. Is anyone convinced Swallow can make that step up? I have also considered Boyd (maybe better suited to DT), NDS (too up and down) and Bartel (too unknown with role in team).

12. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Everything points to Swallow making the step. However it is still a small risk as he hasn't made the jump yet. I know a few people on here have him locked in. Could be a handy POD if he fires.

Montags is less of a risk as you know he's durable, a ball magnet, kicks goals, and with Roo back will be hitting him on the tit in the forward line often (SC points a plenty).

FWIW I have Montags.

13. The_General

The_General Member

Thanks Nick, mostly my reasoning as well but with every having the same backline this year and the absence of reliable options in the forward line, the mids are really one of the few positions where you can have POD's.

14. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Genza I reckon Malceski will set a cat amongst the pigeons in defence.

Plenty of interesting options there that people have ignored. Not sure if I would go with them, but lots have given the flick to Grima, Shaw, Chaplin, Newman, Bock etc

On the mids, I'm probably steering clear of Saints and Dogs too much before they both go missing in the underrated R4.

You lose Riewoldt, Goddard, maybe Higgins and Boyd as well and any more starts getting painful. If you've decided on any rookies as well from Brisbane or these two teams, it's going to bite some of us pretty hard.

But everyone keep worrying about R6. haha

15. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Very true General, which means A Swallow could be an inspired pick. Just doesn't fit my personal strategy this year.

Fwd line higher risk profile is where its at for me, with sure fires in the mids. However with the forward line carnage this year, it would seem picking any forward line has quite a high risk profile.

I am interested in people's views on Polec. I know its been discussed in other threads but it seems several people are opting for no Lions and thus now Polex this year. I am just struggling to find a better fit for the M6/M7 spot.

16. The_General

The_General Member

@Nick

I had Polec and may still bring him back at a later stage. However, atm he doesn't get a look in above Swallow, Harris and Mzunga or even Atley and thus I can't justify his hefty price tag on the bench.

17. The_General

The_General Member

Also agree with the fact that any fwd line this year is going to be very risky. Atm, I have 4 in there that have all done hammies in the past, but if they play 10 games then I'll be laughing.

18. Shenanigans

Shenanigans New Member

re Polec - BL have byes R4 & 19. Assuming he plays the first three games, you get a good look at him before he starts to moo (if he does). I am considering a R5 sideways trade Gaff->Polec if required (WC R5 bye). Not ideal use of trades, but better than losing the option.

19. The_General

The_General Member

Shenanigans, Gaff has shown nothing all preseason so I can't see why you would spend 170k on him when there are better options around 110k. Polec has shown little more than nothing but would have to be above Gaff.

It will be interesting viewing over the next 3 weeks.

20. Josh

Josh New Member

Pendlebury or Swan?
    considering starting with Pendles and then updgrading a rookie into Swan after the Pies' first bye. He normally starts a little bit slowly and lifts through the middle of the season.. Just thinking Pendlebury is about to explode..