Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

I'm tossing up the exact same thing Josh, Pendlebury looked extremely fit last night and came out like he had something to prove. Usually I got the impression that he looked a little lazy in the past but last night he was looking ominous.

However Swan still managed to rack them up on a quiet night. I know preseason SC scores aren't completely accurate but I was worried that Pendles only managed a 124 from his domination whereas Swan snagged a 150 last week when he looked like he was in 3rd gear.

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans New Member

@The_General

True, and still 'considering' about 5000 things with a few weeks to go :)

Agree that there are much better options - I don't have Gaff in my 33, nor Polec.

3. dj62

dj62 New Member

I've got an M4 up for grabs, and would like to go stronger but..... have Kennedy of swannies at this stage, thinking Rich of bris is lookin pretty tasty. Any thoughts?

4. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

@dj62

Rich - No

Kennedy - Gut instinct says yes.

However, I'm going neither. Would like to have Kennedy, but doesn't fit into my strategy. M4 is for a rookie. I make my judgement on a player on whether he will be in the top 6 for that position at the end of the year. I don't see either being that. Therefore, a rookie gets the spot.

5. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

I don't think you can go past Swan for anyone at the moment. I think he will pick up exactly where he left off last year and will be the top midfielder again.

Rich- Not interested at all

Kennedy - Different story. If you think he can be up around the top ten then maybe

6. JM

JM Member

Can Kerr get back to his best form? Or is he a has been?

7. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

Kerr is surely too far down the options list.

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

No to Kerr. Waaaay to much risk. Don't let the price tag tempt you.

9. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

So far down that he's not even on my possibles list.

10. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

DJ
    I'm reckoning Rich is starting to look like the one on the cusp for mine.

Lots of opportunities in Brisbane midfield, with a few old warriors and kids to help him.

An issue is GWS and if he's going there

11. dj62

dj62 New Member

Thanks Lucas...just a thought. Frees up about 50000 from kennedy to do something else. Any thoughts on Connors for D5

12. Scupper

Scupper New Member

Following this thread, I thought Kane Cornes would be an interesting pick Avg 102.1 SC last year although priced premium, with some real talent above him, in a side like Port could be their only gun player this year for high SC scores on a consistant bases, plus the byes will create havoc with lopsided teams with more than 3 players from top eight clubs, its the balance between MPP's and the emergencies thats hard to gage. Brisbane will be a train wreck this year and Voss will be gone by RD 12.

13. wal

wal New Member

<blockquote>Quote from JM on March 6, 2011, 22:59
    Can Kerr get back to his best form? Or is he a has been?</blockquote>

At 289,000 Kerr is worth consideration if you have a high risk profile and are looking for a mid-price mid. He's priced at 59 and averaged 74 in four games last year even though he was injured in the second quarter of the fourth. So you get a 20ppg increase even if he plays as bad as the last two years. And if he improves you get a 27 year old premiership midfielder who averaged 119.7ppg in 2007.

I'm not suggesting Kerr can become elite again, but he's coming back into a different team. He's got a midfield around him again and Cox looks great. He could easily average 90 if he stays on the park and he's capable of knocking out that one big score that can put your mid-pricer within range of a fallen premium.

I'm not sold on Kerr by any stretch but if you want to take a punt on him don't be too discouraged by the crowds going the other way. He's higher risk than most, but the reward is proportionally high.

14. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

My current Mids look like ...Thoughts thanks

Boyd, Montagna, Pendlebury, Anthony, Heppell, Mzungu
    (Harris, Swallow, Smith)

15. andy9

andy9 New Member

what are peoples thoughts on not having d swallow? got bartel instead, if i decide to go swallow i miss on a prem elsewhere

16. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

A question that is bugging me since Monty's back scare.

Monty/A.Swallow v Judd/Bartel?

I will eventually decide but opinions couldn't hurt.

17. Lucas

Hey all star, I've done your forwards, now time for your mids in the segmented RMT haha

Anthony is the midpricer, hmmm if I was to choose one, he'd be right in there with a show.

Can't really fault the rest it's fairly standard.

Only to say if you have Goddard and Riewoldt, and then lose Boyd and Montagna, regardless of how good your rookies are you will feel PAIN in R4. Depends if you think the pain is worth the outcome.

18. Lucas

Hodgey I wouldn't think of the first option in comparison. Go with the tried and true still in that sweet spot 25-28 age range.

Monty/Bartel an option though?

That said I am not a huge fan of A Swallow, sue me.

19. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Lets not jump the jump on Montags, just like on Chappy. Could be nothing, lets wait until he plays this week.

Isn't Judd under a bit of an injury thing too?

20. Buzzboys

Buzzboys Member

Hodgey I agree with Lucas, Judd/Bartel for sure. I have been tossing up Judd or Monty with team balance and round 4 the main issue since Goddard/Roo and Gibbs are locks. Round 21 is the other consideration.