Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. DS

DS New Member

I currently have 400k to decide on an M4. Am not sure of whether to go cotchin, rich or higgins. What are peoples thoughts?

2. Daveo

Daveo Member

DS

For me it would be higgins as he will activate MPP with your forwards and by all reports is fully fit. Last year he was on 1 leg and still produced some acceptable scores.

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I would stay clear of Rich.

Cotchin seems fit but is yet to prove.

Higgins I'd put in the fwd line but I suppose for DPP purpose he's a legit pick in the mids.

4. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

I am going 4 premiums + Swallow, Harris,
    Heppell (got Hibberd on bench down back) &
    Mzungu & Atley which hopefully will work out alright

5. DS

DS New Member

Another potential in the price bracket is Foley. Where is he at?

6. Grunta

Grunta New Member

I'm going with Foley at the mo. with Swan, Judd, Monty, J.Kennedy and young Swallow. Any thoughts?

If you're in a private league, rounds 4, 5, 6, 16 & 19 should'nt really matter as far as I've worked out.

7. melt

melt New Member

J. Kennedy is an interesting one. My concern is that he definitely handballs the ball more often than kicks it. Seems value and I still might get him in.

8. Corks

Corks Member

I'm sticking with 3 Guns, then DSwallow and the rest of the rookies. Might cost me early on, but Swallow, Heppell, Mzungu, Irons et al hopefully will increase in value big time and around mid-year I can have a full Premium midfield. Risk / reward, but last year I stacked the mids early and paid for it come finals. Can't see JKennedy really adding a lot of value at the business end if everyone else has 110+ scoring guns.

9. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Question.

I am going a 3 premium starting strategy and was floating the idea of starting with Jobe Watson as M3. My theory is that in round 10 (Essendons first bye) I would sideways trade him into Ablett (after his 2nd bye) This way not losing any bye rounds at all at M3.

Of course in some regards its a sideways trade but the points gained off it seem good (4 games x 100+ points)

Thoughts?

10. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Jim
    Good idea. You could do it well with Boak or Watson

(or Stanton/Cassisi/K Cornes/Tuck/Foley?)

Kornes might be a safer option if you want someone who will churn out a consistent points score so you don't have a big jump to Gazza.

Mind you, you only really save 2 x 100+ points over not making a trade. You also risk Gazza going too high, or your player going down.

The main way to see if it's worth it, is if by the end of year (say after round 9) you think that your current player will average 15ppg more (that's roughly 14 games)

You burn a trade but may not need to use another.

I'm still mulling over and it's mainly due to the fact Ablett has missed a few games later in a season and might do the same again if the finals are out of the question. You don't want to get too tricky in these situations.

11. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Lucas and for pointing out my poor maths. Lots to consider definitely, the byes have just thrown so much confusion into picking a team. I hardly have any 'locks' at this stage, just so much to consider.

Throw in the potential inj/slow starts of Hodge, Chappy etc and my team is in a constant state of flux.

12. melt

melt New Member

Jim, if you just going for a league win, I dont see any sense in getting Watson (as there are plenty of other premiums that dont have byes at the pointy end)...but for the overall, it definitely has its merits.

J kennedy is a huge risk, but he had some very big games in the Swans final games last year, is getting better with each game and is a massive unit for his age. Would be a very abscure pick I know, but with Swans depleted onball unit and others like Jack being the focus of other teams attention, he may fire right up this year.

13. Corks

Corks Member

Trying to decide on M8 position, looking in the $100k to $125k mark. Already have Swallow and Harris from GCS (so no more GCS players), Heppell, Mzungu and Irons. The one I'm not convinced on is Liberatore in M8. Tossing up Wallis, Darling, Schnieder, Hibbert but no one is really doing it for me at the moment. Any suggestions?

14. Zander

Zander Moderator

I'm struggling to decide between Foley and Cotchin. I'm trying to keep one Richmond player in the midfield as they dont have a bye till round 11. Foley has the injury discount which could be handy, but obviously still an injury risk. Anyone got some good advice which one or is there someone better around the same price?

15. chewy

chewy New Member

does anyone know anything solid on chappy!has he been able to train?

16. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

From what I've heard, he's been training- is fit and raring to go. That said, the proof is in the pudding and it sucks that we haven't seen him yet! Gunna be one of the big decisions for 2011 I reckon!

17. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

yeah. I reluctantly took him out of my team today... will be interesting if he plays this weekend though.

he was my only cat - for various reasons - but i took him out and brought in two cats today. I think my team is better without him anyway. but will probably change my mind on that one...

18. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Eventhough my team is named after him I have just ditched Chappy out of my team. Might trade up to him later as Cats have a bit of a tough start. I honestly think Stevie J is a better option this year.

19. spud

spud New Member

<blockquote>Quote from anthak on March 10, 2011, 20:53
    yeah. I reluctantly took him out of my team today... will be interesting if he plays this weekend though.

he was my only cat - for various reasons - but i took him out and brought in two cats today. I think my team is better without him anyway. but will probably change my mind on that one...

</blockquote>

You know what they say, two pussys cats are better than one...for supercoach scoring...because they're a good team, ya know?

His absence does free up some decent coin, however I still can't put together a strong enough looking forward line without him in it. It's frustrating having question marks over nearly every keeper-forwards head this season.

But this being the midfield thread, did you have him in the midfield as opposed to the forward line? If so, did you replace him with another f/m?

20. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Two cats are better than one but not in Rnd 6.
    Have been throwing him back and forth between the two to try and keep him in but can't seem to get the right mix so I'm not screwed in Rnd 6. Add to that the injury question mark and the Cats reasonably tough start I thought there was better value elsewhere. My hope is he drops and I can get him later.