Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Kanga18

Kanga18 New Member

A couple of people seem to be toying with avoiding GC rookies such as Prestia and Swallow because of their price... (bigger profits to be made from cheaper options)...Tonight i am toying with the idea of avoiding Harro, Swallow and Prestia in my mids from Round 1, and perhaps using my 2 "Round 3 shuffle" trades at round 4 to bring them in. Thus, hopefully also making 30-60k per trade with my shuffle trades. Make sense, or have I had 1 too many tonight??

2. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Think you may have had 1 too many mate.... Waste of a trade to cash out a rookie to only make that much when they would have much more growth in them. Pretty your only sideways trading them into Swallow & Prestia/Harris. So basically it means youve spent an extra $90K somewhere else for 2 wasted trades...

3. Corks

Corks Member

Love the Red's on a Friday night...and the forum. StKThunda - yeah, lot of love for Vince from me - he is a potential Premium. But I'm sticking fat to GnR so he doesn't fit. Kanga - depends on your stragey. GnR then you need quality scoring Rookies in your mids so Swallow, Heppell, Prestia make sense from the start. If you're playing a Value team and they're just sitting on your bench earning dollars, then you don't need them. Just remember that the Round 3/4 trades may be what you say - just grabbing some dollars - but you may need them for injuries or just to be competitive. Last year Roo went down in round 3 and Tippett and a few others were completely stuffed.

4. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Prestia may not be a walk-up start, some doubt on him. For the extra price, I won't be looking at him because of this risk.

Shuffle trades - don't think that sounds like a good idea though mate.

5. Corks

Corks Member

BTW...has anyone found the $103k midfielder for M8 that will be a good early earner? Jason - what about Liberatore / Wallis?

6. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

@Corks

Yea had bit love for him earlier in the preseason, then thought i read he was injured for while but noticed he came back last week and for $380K is a bargain for what he can produce. Correct me if im wrong but he had few injury concerns last year which hampered his output?

Fits nicely into my strategy me thinks :)

7. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Who are your other rookie mids??

Theres Shaun Atley..

8. Jason

@Corks
    Not convinced either Wallis or Libba will play R1 at this stage. They will play in 2011, but no certainty to start in R1. Have to wait until just before lockout on these guys I think. Still on the watchlist at the moment.

9. Jason

Vince hasn't yet proved that he can handle a tag for mine.

10. Corks

Corks Member

Thanks Jason. Still can't find the player around that mark as cover. Atley, Beams maybe??? Will keep watching the Doggie boys though. They look like they will be of value some stage this year.

11. spud

spud New Member

Smith and Schnieder from the hawks were two that I was considering for Callinan to keep the fwd/mid link, but the latter hasn't yet been promoted and also didn't play the last two weeks, while Smith i believe will either be in and out of the side early if we have injuries, or will force his way into the side later in the year when he gets some games under his belt in the ressies.

12. Kanga18

Kanga18 New Member

Cheers all. Yep, somehow convinced myself last night that I would be makikng money on an othewise wasted shuffle trade. Instead i'd be losing the opportunity for the original rookie to moo. Trying to stay true to GnR, so will probably pass on more expensive rookie mids eg Gaff and Conca and Prestia, and instead find a couple of $103 - $110 mids to complement Swallow

13. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Another midfielder from Hawthorn to keep your eye on is Shane Savage. Has a fair bit of speed, and could pinch a spot in the best 22, especially if Clarko starts playing players based on form. Shiels was also great last night, kicked three, and was one of the best on ground, however he is about 220k, so a little more.

14. yt

yt New Member

i need some opinions guys, im going for a league win this year and am slightly worried about having judd in my team because of rd 23, am i worrying too much or should i go with a joel selwood or any of the other mids?

15. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Its definantly a tough one yt. I think the round 23 bye is possibly the worst one out of them all. Round 24 with Essendon only comes into play for 2 teams per league, and if you have a premium from them you can easily trade them out and it wont hurt you in the future. Whereas round 23 you need to throw everything at it to win, but you want all your premiums playing, but you would want Judd the following week...

I think you really cant plan that far ahead, so many things will happen between now and round 23 so personnaly i would be selecting the best possible team for now until finals. Remember you have to make the top 8 to be able to win your league.

16. yt

yt New Member

yeah thats why its such a hard choice for me, because i rate judd much better than anyone under him but then again having judd and gibbs both to worry about in r23 could be what costs me getting into the grand final, ahhh why does this have to be so hard

17. Corks

Corks Member

Any thoughts on Joel Corey at $425k as a potential to get back to Premium this year, particularly with Ablett out? Is he fit?

18. spud

spud New Member

Selwood ripping it up against the Blues apparently, albeit the Cats are still behind.

At the risk of repeating what I just typed in the forwards thread, Mzungu has done a possible knee and is on his way to hospital to have scans. I think it's worth posting in here as well as a number of us will have had him in the midfield instead of the forward line.

With Callinan also biting the dust, suddenly we're faced with slim pickings for fwd/mid players, which could ultimately affect how we structure our teams to take care of the byes (could be a lot harder now).

Hopefully the scans show no serious damage, and perhaps he could be a downgrade target if its a 6-8week injury, but I'm sure nearly everyone here would have been banking on him starting on the field in round1, so now we have to find another starting rookie that we're happy to play on the field.

19. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Bloody hell.. How many injuries have there been so far.. MAtt Campbell also teared his hamstring this afternoon... Not sure if anyone would have had him though...

20. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Anyone got anything on Jye Bolton from Collingwood? Didnt see much of the game last night so I have no idea if he got a gig or not?