Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. The_General

The_General Member

@b_fraser

I would be going Boyd over Swallow and Bartel over Boak, but that's just me. A lot of people have the potential to get to elite/prem (Sylvia comes to mind), but don't necessarily get there. Whereas when there are players who have been there and are underpriced, seems the safer option.

2. suther

suther Member

re. Boyd....

He's an obvious magnet, but efficiency a problem and I get the feeling that he's had the same problems over pre-season.

Can anyone confirm?

Would expect improvement this year, but is he a candidate to be cursed by captaincy?

3. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

I think Boyd will excel under the captaincy. I think his temperament is perfect for the job and he just gets on with the business. Disposal a concern but I think he makes up for it somewhat with quantity.

Having said that I haven't picked him so far but he is high on my watchlist.

4. dazza71

dazza71 New Member

Hi all, what are peoples thoughts on Foley and Shuey?? great JS and if they dont get injured (biggest problem) will score well and prices should increase as much as most rookies.

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Boyd I have as a lock in DT, and potential in SC, due to previously mentioned qualms on efficiency.
    Selwood definitely over Bartel for mine. Little things, like his tonsils, concussion etc all point towards a mildly interrupted preseason, while Selwood seems to be on fire.
    Selwood vs Montags is also bothering me. I really can't split them. Selwood has dashed ideas of the "no.1 tagged" syndrome, and as mentioned before was tagged heavily all last year. Montags looks its great touch and will have Roo to hit on the chest thus increasing his scoring. Looked great in the game I've seen him.

Bloody tough one.

6. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Nick, can't really go wrong in Montags v Selwood...

7. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@Nick

You will most likely end up with both Sellwood and Montagna in your side. I don't think it will matter who you choose first.

8. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@dazza71

If I was to choose one, i'd take Foley. I can see him averaging 100 ppg but not Shuey.

9. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Foley has a later bye so if you would be looking to uptrade, he might hit his peak earlier. WCE has bye in R5 but Foley in R11

You can also move Foley out while not losing his points for one week.

Foley and Ward are the two midrange mids I am even considering, and that only for a short term in and out burst.

Anthony is probably the only one I can see being low cost but ending up a premium.

10. JMac

JMac Member

Some input here from some fellow serious supercoaches would be great (and me thinks some of you may be in the same boat). As it stands at the minute I still have Mzungu in my midfield. Normally it wouldn't matter too much a rookie going down, but he was my mid/fwd MPP in there. I am going to get rid of him but I don't know which way to go as I want to keep my MPP. The way I see it I have two options, both, of course, have pros and cons.

Straight swap for Isaac Smith.
    Pro: Cost is the same. Won't have to change my line-up.
    Con: He no longer looks the lock he was pre-NAB cup/challenge.

Trade Swan & Judd for Pendlebury & Murphy and Mzungu for Krakouer in my midfield.
    Pro: Keep my MPP in the midfield and get another cheap(ish) option who looks to have good job security. Those two coming have the potential for improvement.
    Con: Downgrade two other players.

11. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I see your point. One factor changing my thoughts is cash freed up to be used elsewhere. Needs some more tinkering.

Foley is firming in my mind, especially now since mid rookies are falling away. Possible re-jig to 3 premium-Foley-5 rookie midfield on the cards. Maybe.

12. dazza71

dazza71 New Member

@nick, exactly what im thinking, lets hope he plays a full season,

God i luv this site, ive just worked out the forum etc and i even get an email letting me know about a new posting, now i just need my wife to accept the fact that TS is more important then her and happy days......

13. broge

broge New Member

I need some help with my midfeild premiums, atm i have swan, selwood and montag. I was thinking of changing either selwood or montag to boyd and free up some cash. Thoughts??

14. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Id leave it to be honest.

As your first three mids, you cant go wrong there. All win their own ball. They use it well. Monty and Swan kick goals. Swan and Selwood are forever winning contested footy.

While Boyd is good, his efficiency by foot is not as good as Selwood or Montagna. The extra cash is obviously the carrot to change, but I'd stick with what you have.

15. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Meanwhile, I've got a midfield of Swan, Gibbs, Lids, Kennedy, Krak, D.Swallow with Bewick, Atley and Irons on my bench.

I agree that it is not that strong, however, I'm looking at Gibbs and upgrading to Montagna, Murphy or Pendles.

Only reason I have Gibbs is for dual position purposes with either Goddard, Heppell or Hibberd in defence, however, I'm just not sure if he's the right mid to go with particularly when I could have one of the above three taking his spot.

Thoughts?

16. broge

broge New Member

Thanks Fix, jus needed some reassurance.
    With ur problem I have both gibbs and lids in the backline with heppell in the mid, no point having both gibbs and lids in the mid. Personally i'd go with montag cause u alrdy hav swan no point having pendles as well with such early byes, id set pendles as an upgrade target mid season.
    Don't like murphy for some reason

17. broge

broge New Member

One more thing Daniel Harris get on him!!

18. yt

yt New Member

do people think jarrod irons and claye beams will get much game time this year?

19. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Jarrod Irons has to be elevated before he gets a game. Wait until you see confirmation on this before selecting him.

My gut feel on Beams is that Bewick will get more games.

20. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey New Member

Hi Guys, I'm having trouble trying to decide between Richmond mids Nathan Foley and Trent Cotchin in my final side.

Foley is clearly under priced and if he stays fit will score 90-100 each week like previous seasons maybe even higher. His 2010 starting price was $470k so if he gets back up there he could be a keeper.

But there's a lot of talk about Cotchin breaking out this year. His performances have been good in the pre season, and i even saw Jack Riewoldt saying he'll have a breakout year this morning. He was a high draft pick who has been constantly improving in averages and with Foley doing the heavy lifting this year he could break out. But the risk is that if he doesn't improve i'll have a $380k mid that won't go any where? Does any one have any ideas what score Cotchin go up to?

Is it worth the risk to go the breakout player or the tried and true player? Ideas?