Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bfish

bfish New Member

Hodge starting as the sub for the Hawks will make him very nice in a few weeks with a couple of 50-60's coming off the bench.

2. spud

spud New Member

It certainly would, bfish.

Here is the article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...thorns-first-sub/story-e6frf9jf-1226025362400

<blockquote>HAWTHORN captain Luke Hodge says he might be the club's first substitute. Asked if he could play as a substitute, he said: "That could be a possibility."</blockquote>

If he plays the first half or so, and the game is a close one, then his score would drop as he didn't have a hand in the last half/quarter. What would stop him falling too much is on the off chance the hawks set up a win while he was on the ground, as he'd probably still score alright from that - more of a danger the following weeks against richmond/melbourne/westcoast, could potentially be won by half/3qtr time.

One to keep an eye on for a post round6 upgrade (after the bye)

3. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Wouldn't Hodgey be the person who subs on, not the person who subs off? It reduces all the risk of putting Hodge on the field, only to have someone else go down, requiring Hodge to play a full game.

So in other words, he will play the second half, and potentially get affected by scaling more.

If he is still under priced by round 6, lock him in i reckon. It would probably mean he was a sub for more than one game though, which is bad for Hawthorn. Such a conflict of interests =S

4. spud

spud New Member

I understand that view, Ruddy, and it would certainly make more sense, but you try telling the big man he won't be leading his team out in the first half and will have to warm the pine for a good hour while he watches his other 21 commandos do battle on hostile turf.

5. JMac

JMac Member

Whats everyone's thoughts on Dyson Heppell? Im looking at getting rid of him for a lower priced player either in the midfield or backline a player worth &#36;112,500 or less. If I did this I'd have enough to get rid of Billie Smedts for Ryan Gamble in the forward line. I have Smedts as a MPP match with Gilbert at the minute but am willing to lose that for Gamble.

6. dazza71

dazza71 New Member

@JMac

I had Heppell in my Mids to open the mid/def but thought the same as u, so i swapped to buckley from collingwood with the same mid/def but used the extra cash else where,

7. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

I have D Swallow, Harris, and Hibberd as my Rookies, but having trouble deciding on my M9 spot.

I'm torn between Bewick, Atley, Irons and Curnow. Does anyone have a strong opinion on any of these guys, or perhaps someone else that i've missed?

I have &#36;174k to spend.

Cheers

8. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey New Member

I like Bewick and Atley but thats just my opinion :) I haven't seen much of them but from what i read Bewick is the one more likely to play more games. I think Atley's inclusion will depend on injuries. I'm saving that decision till I see the teams on Thursday night.

I was looking at Harris's NAB Cup scores for the preseason, they were pretty average...is anyone else thinking of dropping him for a different GC cash cow mid?

9. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Atley is basically guaranteed to play round 1 given North's injuries, however once players start to come back who knows if he'll play. He also wasn't great in the NAB cup.

10. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

I guess it's hard to make a call until we see the teams. Bewick looks like the most likely to play the most games IMO at this stage.

11. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Any Blues fans have any ideas about the mystery injury of Murphy? Likewise with tiges fans for Lids?

12. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Bewick and Irons. Could even have another option in Pittard from Port as well, Thommo.

13. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

<blockquote>Quote from eagles2011 on March 22, 2011, 19:49
    Any Blues fans have any ideas about the mystery injury of Murphy? Likewise with tiges fans for Lids?</blockquote>

Where has it been reported that Murph is injured?

14. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

Ah yes. I forgot about Pittard. The R12 bye makes the PA rookies very appealing.

15. yt

yt New Member

considering bastinac played most of last year i think atley is almost guranteed to fill bastinacs spot as long as he isnt playing woefully

16. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from FixEmUp on March 22, 2011, 19:53
    <blockquote>Quote from eagles2011 on March 22, 2011, 19:49
    Any Blues fans have any ideas about the mystery injury of Murphy? Likewise with tiges fans for Lids?</blockquote>

Where has it been reported that Murph is injured?</blockquote>
    BF boards have him leaving the ground & straight to the rooms in NAB challenge 2, then hobbling around the outer at NAB 3. No one has heard or seen anything conclusive about his fitness since then. Has me worried as he has been in my squad since Feb 1st.

17. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

Here's a question for the masses...
    Hayes or Boak?
    Hayes is a warrior and has been dead consistent for years. He scores high regardless of possessions because he tackles like a maniac.
    Boak is the up-and-comer from a team no-one likes and is looking the goods.

I'm a St Kilda man, so my man-love for Hayes is clouding the issue!

18. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

Boak for mine

19. chewy

chewy New Member

lenny for me mate seriously considering him coz of his contested posessions the only thing i,m worried about is he gonna be a top 6-10 mid?

20. Corks

Corks Member

Murphy fully fit and raring to go. Just called a mate in the know after I saw your disturbing post, but confirmed 100&#37; fit. Didn't realise you were going back to NAB 2/3, can confirm no probs though.

Murph will be the biggest improver in Navy Blue this year, maybe more important than CJ by year end. Put him in a Quinella with Pendlebury for the Brownlow. Both perfect age for it, and will have 3-4 years at the top.