Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Are you really sure about that Lucas? Swan seems more of a burst player, rather than a run all day with no breaks player. Specifically Mitchell who is an absolute workhorse. Not to mention the fact that Swan is more likely to be easier to be tagged, because he will go at a slower pace over a more prolonged time.

2. gasparrott

gasparrott New Member

hey Lucas even swan said the interchange has been his saving grace becouse he just cant go with the elite runners for the 4 quaters, he said collongwood has managed his time on and off the ground well, as he needs the break

3. gasparrott

gasparrott New Member

having said that he is still a gun!

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

My view on Swan is he will be managed into either half back or forward lines for a rest rather than off the ground as often.

That's how I think Collingwood will go about things, more than likely the mids will go forward for a "rest".

Given the Pies forward pressure, there may not be much rest going on, but that might lead to even more SC points from Swan given he showed some goal sense last season, and is, after all, an All-Australian forward.

When Swan's been tagged going forward, it's been hard for opposing teams to find a matchup that will beat him overhead in marking. And in the Semi Final of 2009, he turned the game by shaking a tag and having a run across half back.

For all that...I'm still considering him vs Pendlebury. The fact Swan is cheaper than expected makes me have to consider him as the permacapt replacement.

And as for Sewell/Mitchell/Hodge comparisons, I think body shape and structure similar to Sewell, Mitchell is more your Greg Williams type, a better extractor. Hodge is a different kettle of fish, more crash and bash than Swan and actually dangerous to play against.

5. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

now that SC is open and we have been able to play around with structures etc with actual prices. How many premiums are people thinking to go with in mids? and who? Im thinking 3 at this stage. Judd, Jack and ??? , still working on the 3rd. originally thought Joey, but with saints early bye, ive decided to stay away from saints - except roo and bj.
    but on mids, i cant work out my 3rd prem... theres a lot of love for the kangas Swallow. who are others going with?

6. austin

austin New Member

@anthak
    Would you consider one of the collingwood mids, Swan or Pendlebury? Or a bulldog, Cross or Boyd? Hodge? Selwood?

7. anthak

ive decided to stay away from coll players as they will be good upgrades as they get their two byes out of the way early.
    Im staying away from most cats as well, because , at the moment, its too hard to know how they are going to play and which players will benefit. I do have an eye on Bartel though. will be interesting to see how they all go in preseason games. Corey as well - he could be great value!
    Hodge - i have been tempted. as a hawks supporter - but not sure if that is clouding my judgement... he may be overpriced as a straight mid.
    Boyd is an excellent choice imo - ultra consistent the last couple of seasons. Cross had an excellent year last season, and has averaged over 100 for so long now. but the extra $ might not be worth it - i would prob prefer boyd.

but im also keen on Pavlich, and sort of considering Watson or Boak.
    who knows I may end up going with only 2 prems and picking Krakouer, haha not really. i dont have krak atm, but would fit him in at the expense of one of my rooks if he burns in NAB.

so yeah, at this stage I can pick any player bar Swan or GAJ, and Ive got lots to pick from. I think I wont know which way im going until NAB is over. but i was just keen to see how others were structuring up - 3 ultra premiums; 2 ultra prem and 1 good value prem; 3 good value prems etc etc...

8. Gods_Gift

Gods_Gift New Member

Has anyone considered Joshua Green for a spot on the pine in SC? Stats in the U18 carnival were great even though he was in division 2. Thoughts on him?

9. austin

austin New Member

At the moment I'm structured with 2 ultra premiums and one value prem (Pendlebury, but he's probably halfway between an ultra premium and value premium). I'm also considering a few of those better value players like Swallow and Bartel, but I think I will only put one of these types in my team, to make sure I have a few of the top scorers as well.

10. bonesy

bonesy Member

at the moment I have a heavy prems & rookies structure with 4 ultra prems in the mids. and I'm still pretty happy with what that left to do with my forward and back line.
    If Goodes looks likes he is going to be played in the centre, I would definitely consider swapping out a mid prem for a rookie and starting Goodes in my forward line.

11. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

Is everyone who has Judd forgetting that he has a bye in the finals?

12. anthak

general hodge. at this stage i am only thinking about overall. i wont even consider league titles until its not possible to win overall.

gotta be optimistic at this stage of the year. lol.

13. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

I'm gonna cop alot of flak posting this but Daniel Kerr? I know......the only case I could put forward is a) his price at 289K, even if he injures himself say 10 games in(if your lucky) and provided he plays from RD1 he surely should have posted some decent scores increasing his price. Thus, allowing you to downgrade to a mid rookie on the way up and hopefully pocketing the cash. b) well there is no B. Please be nice if you choose to reply ha, ha.

14. aj

aj Member

Hey Morko.

By going for a mid rookie instead of Kerr from the start, you get to pocket the cash immediately instead of in round 10. When you then trade the rookie, you pocket a fair bit of cash too - maybe even just as much.

I reckon a couple of mid pricers are fair enough if you think that they'll outscore the rookies in that same position. Kerr (on the last few season's form) is just as likely to spud up a 50 or so as a 130. Would probably go the rookie option.

15. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

@aj- yeah I know mate. Just threw it out there as a possibe, possibilty. You just can't beleive a player of that ability can slide so far. I know he's had injuries but then you start to think did he just fail to take the next step after Judd and Cousins, because they were the focus each week and he slipped under the radar. He did come 3rd in a Brownlow one year though so i'm not doubting his talent. Hmmm interesting.

16. aj

aj Member

Yeah it's been a pretty mighty fall. THough when you think of it, he went from 3rd most imprtant midfielder to only midfielder wirth targetting. Reckon a lot of work went into nullifying Judd and Cuz. They had some other pretty decent mids at the time too.

He's been getting pretty much all of the attention since and (admittedly I don't know much about the Eagles) he doesn't appear to have the temprament to take teh extra pressure. THis of course resulted in him getting more 'pressure' applied. Pity, because he's pretty good to watch when on song.

17. BJ

BJ New Member

Has anyone considered going just two uber premium mids in order to fit the rookies in? It would allow you to go five premiums each up forward and down back as well as set and forget rucks. If you're going to start 14 premiums you need your other 8 onfields to mature enough to be half of a rookie-to-premium upgrade. Perhaps the more of these that are mid rookies the better.

Do you think you'd just fall to far behind in the first 6 rounds?

18. Stew

Stew New Member

@BJ- This is the tactic I employed last year, with some success. With the great array of midfield rookies on offer this year, I am finding it a difficult structure to move away from...

You just have to make sure that the extra rookie you selected in the mids, will be outscoring the rookie you left out in the forwards/defence, by a margin equal to what you are losing by having a premium defender or forward on the field, instead of a premium mid..... then it's all good...

But that's easier said than done.

19. BJ

BJ New Member

Food for thought Stew. I'm just finding that the skew toward mids is even more pronounced than usual in terms of rookies this year. Looking forward to some topics/discussion on who's who in the rookie zoo - I'm sure there must be more rookie gold in the forwards and backs than I seem to be able to uncover

20. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I'm thinking the value in the fwd/backs could be around the 200k price zone, just a bit more than a rookie, but still better value than 90% of midpricers.

Would like to think you can start with >2 midfield guns if only because of the bye cancelling out some of them through R4-6