Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. spud

spud New Member

@Stew,

Personally, it isn't something I have given any real consideration to. In part, probably because the premiums I've been looking are mainly from likely finals teams.

I can understand coaches coming out and saying "if player x has signed with another team, I won't be playing them". It is usually non genuine contender teams saying that. Take Geelong and Collingwood for example, both are still legitimate chances for the flag at the moment you would think. Speculation will mount on players such as Bartel, Pendles/Thomas etc, but the coach would be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they were to field a less than ideal team and potentially hinder their chances of a premiership.

Yes, coaches might not be happy, but if it isn't affecting the playing group, their number one priority is to give themselves every shot and bringing home a flag.

It could work a bit differently for bottom 4 teams though, however, as the coach might want to look to the future and give another young kid a chance to develop.

I wouldn't worry about it too much for premiums from teams that are in contention for the flag though.

2. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

I reckon my Mids are finally sorted ...

Swan, Boyd, Montagna, Jack, L Anthony, Mzungu
    (Atley, Hibberd, C Beams)

And the rest of my team (if your interested)
    Def
    Goddard, Deledio, Broughton, Grimes, J Russell
    Otten, Heppell
    (Buckley, Duigan, Puopolo)

Rcks (as good as it gets)
    Ryder, Cox
    (Smith, Derickx)

Fwds
    Franklin, Sylvia, N Riewoldt, McGlynn,
    Dangerfield, Tapscott, Richardson
    (Matera, Michie, Callinan)

3. spud

spud New Member

Just double checking, AS, is that meant to be Nick or Jack Roo? I only ask because the rest of your team seems to be listed in price order (well, at least close to), while N.Riewoldt is listed in 3rd spot on the forward line.

Got a few points of difference in there which is good to see, however I won't pick it apart as this isn't a RMT thread.

Strong starting midfield, but you haven't exposed yourself to any of the potential gains from the GC rookies?

4. Stew

Stew New Member

@Spud- this is true about the clubs in finals contention... however, there are plenty of fantasy relevant players from lesser clubs out of contract.
    Including (just quickly and not 100% accurate);

West Coast
    -Adam Selwood
    -Dean Cox
    -Nicoski (that's for you Lucas)
    -Priddis
    -Hurn

Carlton (well... they may miss out...)
    -Bower
    -Waite
    -Carrazzo
    -Simpson
    -Andrew Walker
    -Hampson

Fremantle (You never know with Freo)
    -Duffield
    -Bradley

5. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

Does anyone think it is advantageous to have two DP players on the mid bench? I currently have Mzunga (FWDS: Pav, Chappy, Goodes) and Hibberd (DEFS: Goddard, Gibbs, Lids). This enables me good DP coverage. Not sure if missing out on pure mid bench players is gonna cost me $$, cause if I cash in Hibbered or Mzunga, I am gonna have to bring in another DP player so I don't severe the DP link.

6. Stew

Stew New Member

Absolutely... However Prestia being named in the possibles and Jacobs going down to glandular has restricted the options available.
    Maybe these two will be the guys to fill the void mid-season..... particularly Jacobs (pretty sure prestia will see early time), if we're going off Shuey's timeframe last year. Personally I think Muzunga has all the trademarks of a mid to late season keeper... so you may not have to worry about the forward link for a while.

7. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

@CJ, yes it is a good idea. I have three rookies giving two different DP options on my MID line - currently Mzungu and I. Smith (F/M) and Hibberd (D/M).

8. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

CJ
    A good idea to have two - could be mz or heppell or hibs

9. Lucas

Caveat on above post - you'd want to have probably only 2 premiums. That allows you to have GC rookies, and use MP coverage when it's probably most needed for overall points - the three bye rounds.

10. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys that really helps. Now I'll just have to consider which ones to put in. Also, looking I.Smith and I.Callinan. I thought Heppell might have been to expensive for the bench and I think I might put him at a D7, so I can fit Jolly into my team.

11. aj

aj Member

Got 3 MPPs in my mids at the moment and only 2 prems. The current structure has me burning a couple of trades after round 3 to get a quick cash boost and also to take a look at a couple of GC rookies, namely Prestia and Swallow. Not sure that I'll stick with that idea though as the two prime candidates in my line up for burning both have byes in the first 3 rounds - makes it a bit pointless.

12. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

I've currently got 3 as well, 2 can go forward because round 6 is a nightmare. As it stands, I'm only going to have 1 rookie left to cover injuries in the mids and forwards for that round! (2 cats, 2 hawks and a docker across the 2 lines)

The more I look at it, the more of a risk it feels- though if I ditch one, I reckon I can clear out an MPP link as well as it won't be neccessary.

Also thinking about ditching the D/M link, mainly because it looks like it will be perfect to trade into. Depends a lot on what Hibbert does though.

13. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I'm waiting to review Hibberd also. He's the least known entity in my team at the moment. D/M would be sweet though, but like a previous post, I'm starting Heppell on the field in D7 rather than on the bench in the mids.

14. aj

aj Member

Hear that Walsey. AI have Hibberd down back at the moment just because it sounded like he'd get a run. Not counting Otto, I only have the 3 defensive rookies. THere's a pretty good chance that I'll only need the one back premium to trade into. If it's a mid/def, then I have my choice of Essendon rookies to trade up. Keeps the options open.

15. aj

aj Member

Actually, having said that last bit, even if my def upgrade target is a pure back, then I can switch and upgrade the Essondon rookies as required. Due to their late first bye, they are pretty handy fellahs to have on the squad IF they both get teh gametime

16. aj

aj Member

Oh oh oh.... and I've been waiting to say this...

I am. And don't call me Shirley.

17. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Hibberd on your mids bench is looking particularly tasty now. Swing Goddard, Lids, Gibbs in for byes. Even if he doesn't get picked round 1 I think I will leave him there, as we have heard good things early. He is bound to play at some stage. I was one of the ones to put Relton ahead of Pods last year due to team selection round 1 - not going to make a mistake like that again.

18. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Is anyone thinking of Joel Corey as a fallen Premium who should be able to make the leap back to 105+ and an almost 20ppg increase. 427K and a very handy start to the season avg wise and, if is body is right, more time in the midfield again.

19. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

i have considered corey - but at this stage, im staying away from cats.
    2 reasons.
    1-not sure about gameplan etc,
    2-round 6. I, like walesy, have not much cover left in mids and forwards for r6. I do have Chappy (only cat in team), and 3 hawks and 1 dockr on those 2 lines- which leaves only 1 live player on the bench, presuming everyone else is playing.
    but im hoping someone is ready to cash in by then.
    which is a big reason why im tending to stay away from rookies from teams with a bye in first 5 rounds (apart from a few that seem irresistible)

20. Lucas

Corey is one of the ex-prems who could make a comeback this year no doubt.

A great POD if you are gutsy enough to go with the gut

However, plan around Rd6 as Anthak has rightly written. Most forwards and mids will be tested in that round

Heaven help team structures if injuries abound to non Hawk-Docker-Cat players