Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Pretty gutsy pick- definitely has the potential- but that knee, I haven't heard good things about it at all!

2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Speaking of "going the Doctor", whatever you think of the man, it's an interesting slant on to GAJ or not to GAJ:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/108061/default.aspx

3. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Okay guys, have gone with a young up and coming midfield atm. Marc Murphy is also on the watchlist and I am leaning heavily to replace one of the first four with him-in order; Selwood,Pendlebury, Jack, Boak, D.Swallow, Gaff. Peoples thoughts/criticisms?

4. spud

spud New Member

Swallow, Harris and Bennell all very impressive I thought.

Swallow racking up a whopping 14 disposals against the Swans, with an equal number of kicks to handballs.

Harris showed good signs with 9 disposals and twice as many kicks as handballs, with 2 tackles.

Bennell 9 disposals also, however twice as many handballs which could just be a confidence thing.

All looking decent, but Swallow was amazing.

5. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

There is no one on this earth that wouldn't have him in after that. Absolutely awesome David Swallow!!

Looks like he is going to live up to the hype.

Stoppage work was as good as any established midfielder going round.

Looked like he had 5 or 6 years under his belt already.

Will be keeper from Round 1.

6. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

Agree Spud. Bennell Harris Prestia
    also Matera Fraser Toy Tape Coad all good.

Toy in particular looks the goods for their Defence. Composed. Strong. And used it well.

7. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

All my GC guys showed why I had them locked and loaded in my side. Toy, Swallow, Bennel, Harris & MAtera...

Nathan Crackwhore could pose an interesting question at his price. Great cash cow from that price 2 years ago and looked and played like he didnt want to be at Port last year, which later was becasue he had already signed..

8. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

You can probably only afford to have one Krak-whore in your team

9. spud

spud New Member

StK, impressive work being able to fit them all in!
    Are you running with a 2 prem midfield so you have 4(+3) rookie spots open in the mids?

I'd love to have Swallow, Bennel and Harris as they look like they should all get lots of game time. I'm just really hoping that teams don't take the "dont bother tagging gazza" approach and instead choose to tag Swallow, although one would think there are more dangerous options for oppositions.

With none of Swallow, Harris and Bennell having DPP benefits, have you had to forgo MPP links (MID/FWD) and (DEF/MID) rookies in the mids? Or have you gone the GC boys and shafted the likes of Gaff,Conca etc?

10. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

Spud, I think the GC rate so high just because they have such good job security. So makes more sense to have them ahead of Gaff, Conca etc

Also, I didn't think either of those were that impressive on their first start.

Swallow & Harris wont miss a game if they are fit. And both will end up keepers IMO

11. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

BTW..Its weird calling you Spud cos thats my nickname too!!

12. spud

spud New Member

Good point regarding their security compared to the newbies from other teams. Especially when they're around the same price as well. It would perhaps be a more difficult decision if gaff/conca were in the 110k bracket.

With what we saw tonight, and granted its only a first glance and we don't know how they'd go in an 80minute game against a seasoned side, but you could feasibly fill up the 3 def,mid and forward spots with GC players alone.

The one thing that really scares me though from an overall perspective, is using them for cash generation. We know they miss round one, and then another in round 9, so this will put them behind other non-GC options (particularly the likes of Richmond/Dons who have late byes) in terms of appreciation - and with each week that passes, it gets harder and harder to make up points overall.

The quicker you can cash in and upgrade to get those big points rolling in, the better off you'll be, and I don't know how much that extra week or two could hurt.

The flip side is of course their job security, as you'd tend to think if swallow/bennell/harris et.al had a couple of bad games, they'd stay on the park while the team tries to get some consistency, whereas richmond/westcoast might not be so forgiving.

And there's always the option one or two of them become legitimate keepers so that the cashing in issue isn't a factor as the other non-GC players can be cashed instead.

This year is hurting my brain!

Edit:
    @FSB - hah really? Cool. I've been in that position before too, it's hard referring to someone else by your own nickname :) Thankfully I've found a few other 4-letter words to call him lately :p

13. spud

spud New Member

And here we have the perfect example of what happens when one team gets their opponents share of the points pie (note that half a game helps, as each disposal/goal is worth tons)

Josh Kennedy(swans) 274 SC
    Craig Bird(swans) 239 SC

Not bad eh?

Once the games get back to normal next week, we should see the SC scores start to resemble some form of normal distribution centered around the 65-85 mark with the usual handful of scores higher and lower than that, rather than what we currently have where, because each disposal is worth so much due to the short game time, those who touch the ball are scoring 100+ while those who don't are scoring <50 and we don't have much in-between.

14. crew

crew New Member

If I knew the supercoach league fixtures it would be a lot easier as I could load up on some GC rookies take a potential hit or play a weaker opponent and get away with it but in the dark there so all that talent might have to be decided with straws lol. Will be interesting to see how the kids go over a full game?.

15. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

<blockquote>Quote frhttp://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/?p=teamom spud on February 19, 2011, 22:02
    StK, impressive work being able to fit them all in!
    Are you running with a 2 prem midfield so you have 4(+3) rookie spots open in the mids?

I'd love to have Swallow, Bennel and Harris as they look like they should all get lots of game time. I'm just really hoping that teams don't take the "dont bother tagging gazza" approach and instead choose to tag Swallow, although one would think there are more dangerous options for oppositions.

With none of Swallow, Harris and Bennell having DPP benefits, have you had to forgo MPP links (MID/FWD) and (DEF/MID) rookies in the mids? Or have you gone the GC boys and shafted the likes of Gaff,Conca etc?</blockquote>

At this stage im not running a set premium in the midfield, but can swing BJ & Gibbs in there if needed. I think having the 3 mids on the bench isnt much of a risk in round 1 with the partial lockout enabling you to make sure all others are playing..

I just think there too much value at the rookie priced players this year to run too many premiums in the midfield, and well after last night it confirms it even more that it could be the right strategy.

I will probably bring in 1 premium though.

16. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Oh ive still got the MPP links in there.

Foley/Houli, Ward, Swallow, Bennel, COnca, Gaff, Harris, Heppel, Mzunga

17. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I can't fit Bennell in to my mids. I think he is part of the rotations in the midfield but sits behind all of GAJ, Rischitelli, Swallow and Harris in the pecking order. Just can't see him getting enough game time to rise enough in price on top of his already high starting salary. The early byes mean further that Bennell would have to be looked at as a long-range cash cow or even an M6 keeper. I just think his price won't rise particularly fast and if he averages 65-70, there's not as much reward when you do slaughter him as there might be in others. And there are so many others to choose from at a much cheaper starting price.

18. wal

wal New Member

I admit Gold Coast had an exciting start and some of their players are very hard to leave out. But I think a reality check is needed on what constitutes a midfield keeper. Barlow is the ONLY rookie EVER to achieve keeper status in his first year, and he came in as a mature aged rookie. The facts are; this year we have more trades, more cash-cows and stronger starting 22's. For a player to be a midfield keeper they have to be top ten at the end of the season. Harris, Swallow & Bennell may all end up being great picks but if you are picturing them in your best 22 come SC finals you are seriously selling your team short. If any of them can average 90-100 you could keep them for a good chunk of the year, but eventually you will need more than that from your midfield. There will be at least one (Gaz) & probably two (Rischi) mids at GC alone who will outscore their rookie-priced players. And a whole lot more from other clubs. Remember, SC will be easier this year and an ideal 22 a lot more achievable. A lot of teams will start with the same rookies and being ruthless about upgrading high performers will be crucial.

19. bonesy

bonesy Member

agree with your statement Wal, but also think there could be value in upgrading around Swallow or Harris and pushing them down to M7 and keeping as cover for byes.

20. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Pods and Rich in his first year were keepers.

But I do agree with upgrading will be key, as the tools will be readily there.