Position Focus - Rucks

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

I've scanned back to page 11 - no mention of "exciting ruck prospect Jarrad Redden" from Port? Dean Brogan the Dirty Bogan (DBDB) has back soreness. Lobbe is out injured with a dislocated shoulder apparently for a month, but I reckon it would be more like 6 - 8 weeks. Is Redden going to get 3 or 4 games behind Stewart? I can't see Port tilting at the top 8 and they could be looking to blood some kids from round 11 onwards.

2. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I agree Warnock will be getting a fairly long run. Should get 22 games because I can't see Kreuzer stepping up to 100% game time.

It's still the Kreuzer spectre that hovers over though.

Cox still scores with NicNat, Jolly has the ruck to himself, Hille and Ryder team up well, Sandi has pretty much the ruck at Freo.

So some players do well in a duo, but others work well as an individual.

Think Kreuzer would be a duo kind of ruck as he has always reminded me of the old follower position, which I thought Ron Barassi killed when he became the game's first 'ruck rover'

3. Corks

Corks Member

Looking at the Carlton boys, as I do, if he comes back OK through the first half of the year, watch Kruezer in the second half. He is a premium player, no doubt at all - will average 100-120 once he is up and going. Carlton started losing when he went down. Not so confident about Warnock, I put him as a 60-80 point scorer week-in week-out, so will increase in value this year, but he won't set the world on fire. Lucas, I'm sorry, but Frase is unlikely to be the answer. He is old, his body is doubtful, and Collingwood got rid of him for a reason. By Round 6 you'll regret the decision.

4. Corks

Corks Member

FFS - still no Zach Smith for GCS in the squads this week. Does this bloke really exist?

5. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I guess even if Fraser plays until R6 he can then give me increased value to trade him out. But I'm heading towards two prems

Smith will get game time, it's probably they are thinking better he just plays in the intra club than risk him.

I think it's because they think so highly of him as a future investment that they won't risk him in these mickey mouse games. That's what I'm telling myself.

On Kreuzer, no way he will average over 100 this year. Happy to have a $5 on it each way. :D

6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Last yeah for me Hille was the standout fallen premium choice and repaid me handsomely. This year I think set-and-forget GnR double premium option is the way to go.

There's no right/wrong way that transcends through years. It all depends on what options (discounted players/up and comers) are available to you.

7. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

@ Tigerman

Yeah early on there was a bit of chatter about Redden. Some people had him in at R4. Think talk of Stewart rucking a bit scared people off. Could still be an option.

8. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on March 10, 2011, 11:38
    So the question from me to everyone is, if McIntosh and Hille have been the good midrange rucks in previous years, who is it this year?</blockquote>@Lucas,
    If your strategy has to involve a mid-priced ruck - hopefully an improver - you should be looking at Leunberger surely?

9. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Tigerman on March 10, 2011, 12:14
    I've scanned back to page 11 - no mention of "exciting ruck prospect Jarrad Redden" from Port? Dean Brogan the Dirty Bogan (DBDB) has back soreness. Lobbe is out injured with a dislocated shoulder apparently for a month, but I reckon it would be more like 6 - 8 weeks. Is Redden going to get 3 or 4 games behind Stewart? I can't see Port tilting at the top 8 and they could be looking to blood some kids from round 11 onwards. </blockquote>

Tigerman, Redden will be lucky to play much this season - still immature and lacks enough skill - that's why Primus is setting up to go with Dan Stewart as Broges main backup, with Westhoff and Trengove pinch-hitting.
    Redden didn't get a run last week against the Cats, and isn't named this week against the mobile witches hats (GWS juniors) - and all talk from the club is that they're going into this game with a team close to what they're looking at for R1

10. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

Mobile Witches Hats! love it. Ok, thanks, looks like Redden merely trained the house down and had the best pre-season of his career (but won't be playing).

Keeffe of Collywood. Here's hoping he plays a blinder tonight.

11. Bearfly

<blockquote>Quote from Tigerman on March 11, 2011, 13:52
    Mobile Witches Hats! love it. Ok, thanks, looks like Redden merely trained the house down and had the best pre-season of his career (but won't be playing).

Keeffe of Collywood. Here's hoping he plays a blinder tonight. </blockquote>

Yeah, the Mobile Witches Hats comment was Sheeds :D
    As for Redden, he has had a very impressive pre-season, and has great mentors to learn the craft of rucking in Primus and Brogan - however, bear in mind he's still only 20, so has plenty of time to develop - and at 205cm and 103kg already, he'll be an impossing presence in the next couple of years as his body develops further!!!
    Hopefully he'll have more opportunities in ruck this year with his SANFL club - last season he played as much, if not more, time up forward than in ruck.

12. Corks

Corks Member

Interesting for the rucks tonight. Jolly terrible, Hille Ryder crashed. Sandi Cox looking far more appealing than it sounds, and Keefe might be the R4 we've been looking for.

Those watching the game closer than me - anything in Jolly Ryder that would entice you more than Cox? :)

13. NedFlanders

NedFlanders Active Member

Short answer - no.

A slight worry for those of us that are holding Cox, and have decided to skip Sandi.

14. Corks

Corks Member

Think Sandi is the only Ruck "sure thing" Ned.

15. NedFlanders

I think you're right. Got any spare budget you can lend me?

16. Corks

Corks Member

Ha ha...I posted that message then went into my "B" team and traded out Ryder and Foley for Sandi and Swallow. Sadly you will need to do something similar.

My "A" team has had Sex on the Beach for weeks now. Will not change until Cox does his Anterior Cruciate (I assume that spelling is not even close) 5 minutes into round 1.

17. NedFlanders

I wish it was that easy. It puts pressure on my structure, with Buddy, Cyril and Bartel all but locked in. Jimmy might need to go.

18. Bearfly

<blockquote>Quote from Corks on March 11, 2011, 23:08
    Interesting for the rucks tonight. Jolly terrible, Hille Ryder crashed. Sandi Cox looking far more appealing than it sounds, and Keefe might be the R4 we've been looking for.

Those watching the game closer than me - anything in Jolly Ryder that would entice you more than Cox? :) </blockquote>

Can't see any upside to Jolly's performance tonight - Bellchambers was all over him and the only time Jolly really got anywhere near having the upper hand was when Hille went in there!!!
    Looks like it's the tried and tested Sex on the Beach for me - and I do agree with the comment re Keefe for R4 - noone else stands out reliably to me and Keefe at least has upside of being a solid contributor down back which could enhance his chances of getting a game without N Brown there!!!

19. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

I like everyone else has been tossing this around in my head for weeks. I have really tried to convince myself to start without Sandi and go the Cox/Jolly combo (cant remember the "proper" combo name without the menu in front of me)

But jolly was really poor tonight.

I actually have Bellchambers in my R3 ATM. (he was outstanding last week and again tonight looked a good prospect..I think the bombers may be considering playing the three talls this year) and Keefe looks the R4 now too. (I dont know whats going on with Z.Smith but not looking great really)

Back to sex on the beach I guess and another reshuffle.

20. spud

spud New Member

I see this year as having &#36;9,017,100 dollars to spend amongst 31 players :) Very much akin to previous years views of "10mil-ablett price" dollars to spend on 29 players.

Thankfully the Jolly issue hasn't affected me, as I had enough Pies players elsewhere for my liking and decided early on I wanted a strong ruck again this year.

For those against having Sandilands, and who have Cox and now don't want Jolly, which others are you considering? Any love for the Sydney rucks?