Position Focus - Rucks

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Reports have Mitch parked forward and Leuy as no 1 ruck.

2. fryzie

fryzie New Member

Coxy is an AA ruckman who, when in form averages over 20 disposals a game and 26 hitouts. If he can get back to that sort of form he will be our #1 ruckman and Naitanui will have to be his understudy.

If it was any other young ruck he'd be no chance of dislodging the team's established ruckman, but because of the hype surrounding Naitanui, people forget that he is very raw and has a lot of learning to do, last year he averaged 11 touches and 16 hitouts, good but still far short of the level Cox is at, even last season with his injuries he still averaged 22 hitouts and 17 disposals a match.

Naitanui will be given plenty of opportunity but only as Cox's deputy.

3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

from memory, cox came out late last season and announced that he thought NN should be #1 ruck, and he was happy to step aside.
    Cox can play well when he goes forward, and he will still get a lot of game time in ruck. but i still think its too risky. NN is improving quickly, and they will obviously want to give him heaps of opportunity.

I think Sandi must be in anyones team that is serious. he is way too dominant to ignore - at any price.

I have a question that ive been thinking about...
    Im fairly sure that i will start with Petrie. but as a f or r??
    I think its pointless having serious cashcows in ruck, beacuse its stupid to waste a trade on a ruck rookie IMO. so Im thinking to start with Petrie in Ruck, and another mid priced ruck (fraser maybe), and a cheapie (whoever the cheapest ruck that is playing in R1); and then using a forward cashcow to get some $ and then downgrade to a R/F to swap with Petrie...
    does that sound ok? Any flaws?

4. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Regardless of how good Cox is, if WC are out of finals contention, they might as well give NN more time in the ruck, to develop, and gain experience for next season. I reckon WC will almost certainly be out of contention by about round 16/17, meaning by SC finals, NN will be rucking a lot more, imo.

5. Bossarello

Bossarello New Member

I don't like too much speculation with my rucks. Sandi and Cox are proven scorers, they're their club's clear No.1 ruckmen and both are burning up the pre-season. I hope my opponents choose other rucks, they're a lock for me - barring pre-season injury of course.

6. Bossarello

Bossarello New Member

Petrie is tempting for sure but I'd need to see him pull the trigger in pre-season. Can always take him as a forward too.

7. Danger

Danger New Member

With Sandi dont expect him to play every game. Its a given thatll hell be rested for a couple of games at least. So im not really sure if he is a lock.
    But what other Prems are there or could become prems next year?
    Cox has been discussed
    Jolly improved last season
    Goldstein with more rucktime
    Leuenbergger same as goldstein
    Clark? to improve to his 09 form
    Mumford with Seaby returning and interupted preseaon ill pass
    Ryder really dont know about him
    Jamar solid and unique

8. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Won't the byes mean Sandi doesn't have to miss games?

9. Danger

Danger New Member

yea i meant in the sense that his body will be incapable of playing every game, also he maybe rested late in the season. Last year the only reason why he played Round 22 (SC/DT grand final) last year was because it was a must win game to have a home final for Freo.

10. DAZZLER

DAZZLER New Member

DAZZLER's Rucks:
    Aaron Sandilands, Mitchell Clark
    <i>Zac Smith, Joel Tippett</i>
    I know Mitch Clarke this,Mitch Clarke that..
    It might not be a bad thing if he goes forward, he was good there a couple of years ago...

11. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Forward line rucks are generally toxic - remember Spud Tippett last season.

I think if Mitch goes forward it's not going to help his scoring much - he is just there to get out of JBs way.

Danger you are exactly right on Sandilands, the issue is that Sandi + cover (if you select the right R3) will get a clear few hundred more points than the next best.

That's why Sandi-Jolly with a steady playing underpriced R3 is a legitimate option. Then a rookie R4.

If I could afford Sandi-Jolly-Fraser/Petrie-Smith that seems fairly solid to me. (It's the affording bit that's the hard part)

12. boydshow

boydshow Guest

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on January 27, 2011, 09:11
    Forward line rucks are generally toxic - remember Spud Tippett last season.</blockquote>

Tippett was seen as a breakout forward, much as Jack Riewoldt turned out to be. That was sadly incorrect, but it shouldn't affect your thinking in selecting an F/R to play in your forwardline, particularly if it is a proven premium returning from injury in the case of Petrie. Hale is the second chance at a new club option, and Stanley is the breakout selection.

13. Danger

Danger New Member

I really didnt understand why ppl jumped on Tippett last year (ppl got sucked into the hype), he wasnt ready for a breakout year-but he didnt even do too badly late season. He should be a lot better pick up this year than last, at some stage hes going to average 90+

14. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

*bump*

I'd like to put Petrie in my side, who do people think is a worthwhile R/F MPP to have with him?

Tippett K, Hale, Stanley, Lobbe, Tippet J are all listed

15. spud

spud New Member

Burnt previously/Bald/Who?/Injured/Surname is a worry

It's slim pickings unfortunately, Port. If there was a decent option we wouldn't be having so much trouble. It would also make the decision of whether/where to play Petrie a lot easier too.

Kurt is the best out of that lot skill wise, but I don't think it's enough to justify a spot in the side.

16. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I dont think i would start with any of them 5, but maybe trade one in when and if you actually need to use the MPP for Petrie - unless you are planning ahead to his early bye. but my thinking is - because it is so early - my bench rucks will be playing and will be good enough cover for one game.

17. crew

crew New Member

I've gone Mummy, Jolly, Hale, J Tiprat with Petrie F7.
    Mummy will be #1 and I think Seaby will be used more as a plug for some holes around the ground. Jolly far and away #1. Hale will get good chance at Hawks as ruck is a glaring hole there right now and Tiprat obvious change with Petrie. For about 1.2M I think it's value for money as I like to set and forget rucks as most prefer. I agree Cox a good chance of not fill the season or he'd be in.

18. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I'm not messing around with my rucks this year. I want durable players with not much downside. I'm not looking for the best potential value in my ruck line, just consistency. For my team that means Sandi and Ryder, with Zac Smith and Redden (Port) on the bench. I messed around with my R2 through the first half of last year (Hille -> Seaby -> Cox) and won't be doing the same this year.

19. adeelite

adeelite New Member

I have gone Sandi and Cox. Had Jolly but he always has 4-5 big rounds then plateaus. Would have loved Ryder but with the bye in the final what's the point. Cox is proven.

In my league every year everyone thinks rucks are useless but I have won so many games because my rucks scored 250 and my opponents have scored 150. If Cox doesn't get injured he will finish top 3 for ruck points easily. WC still use him as a link man around the ground and by the looks of their NAB Cup game this isn't going to change.

20. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I can't help myself. Tiprat FTW.

Sandi-Jolly to do the bulk of the work, then when byes hit, move Petrie in. Sorted (though R6 still needs some TLC)

Can understand Adeelite going Sex on the Beach, always the tried and true