Position Focus - Rucks

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Fraser not a great contested mark, but is a good clearance winner compared with most rucks.

His skills are generally good efficiency wise and I think he will enjoy the freedom to be the number one ruckman again.

The issue is more how he teams with Smith than anything, and I'm still concerned he won't enjoy splitting the time in the ruck.

On the rucks, I still think Cox and Ryder are adequate alternate options to Jolly. Mumford if he is fully fit, but it appears not.

2. Credmi

Credmi New Member

I was thinking of having Petrie in my forward line & J. Tippett as my R4 for the MPP factor, which would cost me $341,700.

After thinking it through, I decided to just make Petrie my R4 & get the best $110,200 FWD instead. If I do it this way, it is only going to cost me $326,200, a saving of $15,500.

If I get a player from a struggling club, like Richardson, or another similar player, they are likely to get plenty of games & score me 60-80pts. Since this is roughly what I was expecting from Petrie anyway, I don't really lose anything.

Another advantage is that I will have 2 players earning me money, instead of just Petrie (because I can't see Tippett getting many games with Fraser & co. taking away his opportunities).

If Petrie is scoring 80-100's, I'll trade in Tippett for a fwd then & put Petrie in the fwd line. This would result in a trade being wasted, but I'm gambling on Petrie not quite reaching his pre-injury scoring ability.

3. Lucas

Can't justify the inefficiencies there Credmi.

An interesting tactic...but certainly not for me...

4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Credmi on February 21, 2011, 10:04
    I was thinking of having Petrie in my forward line & J. Tippett as my R4 for the MPP factor, which would cost me &#36;341,700.

After thinking it through, I decided to just make Petrie my R4 & get the best &#36;110,200 FWD instead. If I do it this way, it is only going to cost me &#36;326,200, a saving of &#36;15,500 </blockquote>
    I have thought of doing the exact same thing - in fact i wrote about it last night. But I decided its just not worth having so much money on the pine. It can be much more utilised somewhere else IMO.

5. boydshow

boydshow Guest

220k is about 44 ppg, compared to a 100k rookie it's about 24ppg higher. Over 22 weeks, that's 528 points you are missing out on - and that is assuming the money goes into a player that does not improve.

If you don't think Petrie can outscore a 100k rookie, don't pick him at all. Leaving him on the bench isn't going to help - at 70ppg, he would have to fill in 8 times before made up that 528 points, and that's excluding the fact you could have chosen a 100k R4 to get you 50ppg instead.

6. spud

spud New Member

Petrie not doing his potential SC suitors any favours

<blockquote>Petrie has been charged with a level one rough conduct offence, as the MRP decided he had made negligent and high contact with Milburn.

The offence attracted 125 demerit points and a one-match sanction, and because Petrie has an existing bad record of two matches suspended within the last three years, he also copped an extra loading of 20 percent.

This means that even if he lodges an early guilty plea he will still be rubbed out for one match.</blockquote>

://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/108184/default.aspx

7. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

Love the caption from the Hun...

"Drew Petrie looks down at Darren Milburn after cleaning him up with a perfect front on bump."

Not so perfect to be penalised a one-match suspension.

8. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

@Jason, even if Fraser does need to be upgraded at some stage, remember the money saved on him over a prem can be spent on an extra prem in another line. So its not like its costing you any trades overall.

9. Lucas

Droopy now a downgrade target.

Kind of ironic given the nickname hehe :D

10. spud

spud New Member

Funny how that works out Lucas.

If suspended, he won't play his third game until round five given Norths bye. Could it be worth taking a punt on a rookie instead, preferably one that doesn't have a bye in the first 4 rounds, and getting the two weeks worth of (hopefully) price increases and then, if Petries round 2 and 4 games have been decent, straight swap it? Could potentially wait til after Petrie's first price increase as well if the rookie looks like jumping more than Drew in that next week, although the first jump is usually the big one.

Has the benefit of having ~100k extra to play with at the start, as well as hedging your bets a bit as we get a chance to look at Petrie as well as a rookie for a few rounds before making the call. Downside, however, being the cost of a trade.

11. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Is there anyone under Petrie that could rise that high past him in 4 games? Ruck rookies/injury kings aren't known to score high, especially if they're 2nd Ruck.

12. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Wow, incredible how quickly things change in the fantasy sports world. Few weeks ago after a strong intra club he was the lockiest lock going around. Now a potential downgrade target.
    If you planned starting him at R3 then this isn't too big of a spanner. If at R2, maybe a rethink is needed.

Just on that, why has everyone jumped on Fraser? Apart from the obvious things, his DT scores didn't reflect anything stellar. Or are people going to be happy with 60-75ppg average and spend the money saved elsewhere?

13. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

My rucks are

Ryder & Cox with a bench of Smith & Derickx

From what everyone is suggesting the Ryder / Cox is a very unique combo. I'm not sure what is wrong with these 2 experienced players. Please advise ???
    Maybe Smith will get a few games behind the "Dinosaur" Fraser who is well and truly passed being a very average DT player and is way over-priced anyway. Your 4th ruck is simply there coz u have to choose one, Derickx might be seeing some game time.

14. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

I have had Ryder and Cox combo a few times through many reshuffles. LOL

The hardest part of this ruck combo I think is leaving sandi out. but otherwise should be a decent combo..

15. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

Thanks for confirming that I havent made a silly choice, just been tinkering with my bench and managed to squeeze R Stanley into my 3rd spot, he owes the club massively after stuffing up in NZ and he could be given more oppurtunites in oh11 especially with Gardiner inj, Mcevoy isnt anything special either.

16. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

McEvoy will be R1 at the Saints this year though. He will be given plenty of time in 2011.

17. yumcha

yumcha Member

Thoughts on Kurt Tippett??

Granted he burned many teams (including mine) last year. But with Walker possibly being shunted to the reserves (due to GWS link), Tippett is the main man and is 'correctly' priced (meaning he's not likely to drop in price).

Can then do a Tippett brothers tag team.

18. Lucas

Thoughts on K Tippett - once bitten, twice shy

Issue is his role, he is a great talent but so often Adelaide have played a defensive mindset of possession i the back half, so therefore he and the other forwards deal with scraps.

Can't see that changing too much unless there's a coach change.

Shame for Adelaide is that their 2009 style near end of year was so watchable and dynamic. Shame for Adelaide who fretted because they got beaten by a team of kids, who went on to win a flag.

In hindsight they should have shown more belief in the game plan than trying to rewrite it.
    ---

On McEvoy everything I see from St Kilda is that he will first ruck all year. He's a very good player for their setup. Not necessarily a good SC scorer though.
    ---

I think people have jumped on Fraser because they had already invested too deeply in Petrie (R2) and didn't want to mess with their structure so much. That, and he is still a decent option.
    ---

Will be tough for Droopy to start strong with likely:
    R1 suspension
    R2 Collingwood
    R3 bye
    R4 Freo away

Then Richmond-Port-Geelong

He will probably enter my best buys at some stage, but not for me from the start.

19. spud

spud New Member

On the idea of having Petrie on the radar as a downgrade target again:

Inevitably, a rookie/cheapy somewhere for one reason or another won't work out as you had hoped. Be it due to not being selected, or unfortunately being used as the teams sub, you're likely to want to trade them out into a rookie that's come as a surprise before their first price change.

If, however, this happens with a forward rookie(or cheapy such as Knights/Krak), Petrie may become an option.

Say you have chosen A.Krak(C'wood) to start with. Much to your disappointment, he hasn't performed as hoped, possibly as a result of being the teams substitute player. If you're not yet convinced before round 3 that you want to trade them out, Petrie offers a solution for holding onto them for an additional 2 weeks.

With Petrie missing weeks 1 and 3, and as Lucas mentioned, his first two games being against Jolly and Sandilands, his first price increase won't come until after the round 5 match, and it could be a small jump to start with.

You could let A.Krak run an additional 2 weeks (until after round4) to see whether it looks as though he was just being eased back into the game, or whether it appears he'll be a substitute permanently. At such a low starting price, he is unlikely to bleed too much in terms of dollars, if at all.

Tl;Dr
    Petrie can be used to give you an additional two games to watch a rookie/cheap player in the forward line who hasn't started as well as hoped.

20. lezyeoh

lezyeoh New Member

The question I have is:
    Now that Petrie is out of calculations for starting the season...If I go Sandi/Ryder combo with Smith/Derickx on the bench.

What the hell do I do when Sandi has a bye and if Smith/Derickx ain't playing? Not sure I wanna cop a zero.

How sure are we Smith will even play?