Position Focus - Rucks

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Jamar shares byes with Sandilands, as well as Cox, Seaby, Mumford, and Tippet/Jacobs. Basically if you are going for overall, you will be requiring your R4 to play just to avoid a 0, and that's without injuries.

2. I suppose not many people want to use a trade on their rucks either but since it isn't till round sixteen you'd have plenty of time to see who's really firing

3. Sorry, in the Case of using Sandi/Jamar anyway

4. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

So does anyone have a clue why Zac Smith hasn't been playing? I'll be in a bit of strife if I have to try and find another 30k for Gorringe.

Also I think there is merit n using a mid-priced player for R2, as shown by the last two winners of supercoach. But I'm struggling to find someone to fit the bill...

- Fraser would be perfect but due to being missing in round 1 I would have to have a playing R4 and I'd be giving up a few points right from the get-go.
    - Petrie would have been good to couple with Fraser but with his suspension and then bye it would be pretty ambitious to start with him.
    - McEvoy is one of my favourites being a Saints man myself, but I feel at 21 he is too young to really go from a 60 to an 80ppg player even with increased TOG. It reminds me of people who went with Renougf last year simply because he was thrown into the #1 ruck spot. Ross also looks like he will be using Gardiner and Kosi as soon as they come back.

Is there anyone else or something I'm missing? I currently have Jolly in there but at his price he will have to be a keeper.

5. Bellchambers may be worth a look for R3, wont get much time in the ruck but with some form he should still get TOG

6. wal

wal New Member

Cox vs Jolly is shaping as an interesting dilemma for me. Jolly has durability edge and a slight edge in security (i.e. maybe not as likely to be subbed off late but probably not much in it). Cox has a higher ceiling and history as an elite performer. I'm starting to lean towards Cox - his potential to explode and produce regular tons could be gold.

For R3/4 there look like some good options even if Smith doesn't work out. I'm thinking you could do a lot worse than someone like Ayce Cordy at R4. He's already been cited as a likely sub and if he gets that role he'll get opportunities. An early injury would give any sub a lot of game time. Plus they'll get a chance to come on and have an impact which could result in them earning a starting spot. You would also think a regular sub would be first in line if a similar player gets injured. Provided I can find a R3 who looks like getting a regular starting spot, I will be more inclined to take a R4 who'll be a regular sub than a guy who gets named to start in Rd 1 but who's security is questionable.

7. boydshow

boydshow Guest

Cordy's not even playing NAB cup, well behind Hudson, Roughead & Minson IMO.

8. Fez

Fez Moderator

Having the same problem in my rucks which 2 to go out of cox Ryder and jolley , while now my bench ruck is in trouble as don't know who to go

9. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

My R3 will be decided once team sheets are in and R4 will be decided after that.

For now have Keeefe and Smith.

10. evanred

evanred New Member

With Zac Smith not appearing yet in the pre-season, is Daniel Gorringe coming onto anyone's watchlist? Obviously the R1 bye is a concern

11. stowie

stowie Moderator

Robbie Warnock interest anyone?

Seemed to play a lot better towards the end of the year, especially in the final against Sydney. Should be able to rest forward and kick a goal a game. Also has one of the later byes.

12. anthonyw86

anthonyw86 New Member

I'm worried bout zac smith as well, there hyping him up so got him in at the moment as my R3, But worried with there bye first round, Bailey as a cheaper option is temptin even though he is injury prone. My ruck R2 is troubling me at the moment have had 5 different guys in there cant decide, Tippett at the moment swapping with petrie in the forward line but both have byes in forst 3 weeks and petrie misses round 1, need to pull some cash from somewhere...

13. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

evanred
    Thanks for posting...

Not just the R1 bye is a concern, but the fact that he appears pretty average!

Smith should get a run sometime soon, maybe he just doesn't like to travel in economy?
    Fraser should also be first ruck so I'm not sure Gorringe will get much of a run with team balance being tipped away from the big blokes.

For mine, there are more concrete cases of players to love in the R3/R4 than him

14. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

You know, I'm tempted to have Sandi/Cox/Jolly +Fraser R3. He's not that differently priced to what Petrie was and his potential cieling is massive - has he really scored an avg season of 110? I thought he's always been fairly inconsistent. If he even averages at 70, hell be a 150k profit easily.

15. yt

yt New Member

yeah there was one stage where fraser was one of the better scoring rucks, but i think those days are well behind him imo.

16. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

I'm almost considering putting and mpp fwd/ruc midpricer into my team to compensate for the lack of r3/r4 options. Tippett up forward and J Tippett in the ruck would give me an r3 when sandi/other have a bye, but i still have the points on the field when they don't.

17. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Agree with others, R3 is looking very dodgy at the moment. Last year, Warnock was probably everyone's R3. But this year, there would appear to be no standout candidate.

All very troubling, but I'm still not sure whether it is worth leaving so much cash on the bench (most weeks) in this slot.

18. spud

spud New Member

Two Tippetts, twice the trouble! Can certainly see the reasoning Ruddy, but that surname is on my 'do not ever consider again' list - though that's simply stubbornness on my part.

Hey, if a 3rd was one on the lists we could call them the twippletts :D (big day...)

19. stowie

stowie Moderator

Two Tippetts gotta be better than one.

20. yt

yt New Member

when i was watching GC game the other night they were saying that smith is probably locked in as their number one ruck when they were talking about the GC team