Potential Expat League ~

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Simonoz, Feb 8, 2011.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from HanoiHawks on May 16, 2011, 14:14
    Is it Brendan Goddard actually playing the game or some really crap lookalike? Time to bin him?</blockquote>

I remember trying to talk you into starting with Goddard. You said you really wanted him, but couldn't fit him in as he was so expensive. But I didn't want to have a bar of it. Was prob my first picked player. In hindsight, may have been better to start with someone cheaper and use the money elsewhere. Although, in saying that, he hasn't been scoring too badly. Especially considering how badly he is playing.

Did you end up starting with him Neil?

2. snoz

snoz Moderator

Worst round of the season for me.....and did not even see it coming, that could be ugly. My upgrades are performing worse than the downgraded player LOL.

Bill ~ I honestly dont believe it...another injury to a newly acquired Mid Prem for you. What the hell did you do wrong in a previous life??!!

Poor bugger, I feel for you....but I'd still like to attach an * to your trades this week mate...lemme know who to add to the newly named watch list: Bill's Kiss of Death!

3. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

If I am not mistaken, Neil notched up his first win on the weekend. Fortunately I was not the victim. Congratulations Neil, now is the right time to start creeping up that ladder.

Was a bit surprised by the number of sub 2,000s. We are aiming for top 10 by the end of the season gentlemen.

Gablett knocks out his first big one. Anyone thinking of jumping on next week? Still not regretting my decision on Roo, although Chappy not giving much to smile about. Trying to take the long term view on Goddard, but it hurts.

I've been up in the hills again amongst the clouds and away from the net. Visiting my mate Marty who is Hupyas in our league. 8 hour journey by 4WD just to cover 50k. Bled from leech bites all the way down the mountain and the hosty on my flight attended to the wounds. Probably a marginally different weekend to most.

4. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Very different to mine. I'm laid up on the coach, 2 metal plates removed from my fib/tib on Friday after I broke my leg in 8 places in Feb '10.

My worst round of the season too - playing bench of Atley, Jacobs, Puopolo, Lower and Petrie all spudding it up. Puops did OK but 5 prems on the bench really hurts.

5. snoz

snoz Moderator

Hhmm.....lemme see: mowed lawns, mulched garden, son's baseball game, daughter's gymnastics, cleaned out the garage, few hrs(6) on my regular job, few hrs on my ebay store....ugh.....you got me beat Terry..

But I did watch nearly every game from midnight to dawn Fri & Sat nites ~ and drank copious amounts of Coors Light so all good :)

For what its worth, Jacobs stunk big time...any other team 'cept maybe GC he'd be back out but they'll keep trotting him out at Port, hopefully he can get acclimated better this week; Butcher may also be getting a run.

Have three weeks of trades planned now, just waiting for Bill to announce his KOD picks and ruin them :)

6. snoz

snoz Moderator

PS....J ~ what did you do....eight places?...holy crap mate, hopefully the worst is behind you but rehab in your future is a killer too. Feel better mate.

Terry ~ can picture you getting mercurochrome(? that red stuff) or calamine (that pink stuff) being lovingly applied to your leachy bites by the hosty...

7. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

Despite the leeches I'd still take Tibby's weekend over JinJ's. Tibby, there are easier ways to get a hostess's attention. J - take care mate.
    My weekend was a bottle of red and watching Madmen with the missus on saturday, then Sunday watching the Hawks pulverise the hapless saints (like taking candy froma baby) and then making Anzac biscuits with the other Aussie I work with to prepare for Diversity day at the office tomorrow. Can't wait to serve all the burnt ones we made to the Poms from the embassy while while we hand out the decent ones to the Vietnamese.
    @simonoz - baseball? Get him a cricket bat.

8. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Yes, the Watson in move proved to be less than stellar. You should all be happy that I am flagging the "trades to avoid" in advance for you. :-D

Ok guys, this week is another "planned trade week" so I'm sticking with these pending final selection decisions. So beware......

I. Smith in for Matera
    J. Selwood for Harris

If Smith does not get selected will probably bring in GCS Lynch (maybe Siposs) instead and use Smith later if he gets another run.

BTW, I decided to leave Dangermouse on the bench last week as I figured he would be groggy from previous weeks concussion. Can't seem to take a trick at the moment. :-(

I'm still trying to figure out how the Saints managed to lose by 5 goals after being 5 goals up at quarter time. Almost time to bring out the brown paper bags for games (that's a New Orleans Saints reference for those that don't know. They got so bad that supporters started wearing brown paper bags over their heads when they attended games so they would not be able to be identified).

9. TerryinBangkok

I was "mecurochromed" by a border patrol policeman, but doesn't seem to have worked as it is starting to look like an infection on one lump (the rest just itch like hell). Hopefully it all helps to hone trading skills - something I need to hone big time.

And I concede all of my adventures pale in comparison to J. I was just trying to illustrate how all our weekends are different, but J's is a real bummer.

As all American commercial beers have about 0.5&#37; alcohol, find it odd that anyone would choose a 'light', even if it is the best in Coors. Guess it must be part of the baseball lifestyle. My kids went through an American school and it has taken me a huge amount of time and patience to get the accent out of their systems.

Give Jacobs some time. The Bear has faith and I expected about a 40 score - just don't want him as the sub.

10. TerryinBangkok

Hey bjaensch - aren't you going to top my weekend with tales of floods or are you removed from all of that?

11. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Tibby, no floods in the part of the island I was at (i.e. in front of the TV watching the footy). Although I did bugger off early from work on Monday to get a round of golf in in Johor prior to yesterday's PH for Visak day, only to find myself stuck in a significant tropical downpour that had the roads with 6" or so of water in about 15 minutes. Screwed my round up as well.

My GF was much more adventurous than me, she spent the long weekend climbing Mt Kinabalu. She was very happy to return from the jungle and find that she had "smashed me" (her words) in the other league I am in.

Q: "Why is Coors Lite like making love in a canoe?"

A: "Because it's f&#37;&#36;king near water"

cheers,
    Bill

12. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

FYI, last year whilst snowboarding I hit a tree at high speed. My surgeon compared it to a high impact pedestrian v car accident but i guess I'm lucky to still be able to walk. Sitting on the couch for another week and then the scars should have healed sufficiently to allow me to go back to normal activities and start rebuilding my unfortunate left leg.

Despite last week's very poor effort, I've had a good opportunity to do some player research have started the upgrade trading/cow culling period.

I hope the curse doesn't last Bill as I bought Selwood last week and he did very well.

I agree Terry, Jacobs will do well and needs time to find his feet but the dredded Sub may end up with him some time or another. I don't mind if he starts and gets traded out in the 4th Q but starting as a sub means no points unless like Breust last week when an early injury occurs.

13. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Hey Bill, did she do a 2 night 1 day of Kinabalu?

I was there mid april and my GF and I tried the up and down in one day. There were time constraints all the way up and we kept in front of the clock but got to the last checkpoint and the heavens opened so we got turned back. Really disappointing not to make it. Most people thought we were mad for trying the up/down in one day and I'd more than likely do the overnight next time.
    Saying that, 1500m to 3700m+ in 4 hours only to be turned around is enough motivation to try again and get the last 400m.

How were her legs feeling the day after? I could hardly walk.

14. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

J, she was on a 3 day trip. Arrived Sat arvo, trekked in the rain to tent camping point for first sleep. Sun was climb to the top from the first camp spot and back down to a village somewhere for long house over night. Monday was another jungle walk, long house overnight and flew back Tuesday. She was leg sore on Sunday but fine by the time she got home.

15. easty01

easty01 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from J_in_Japan on May 17, 2011, 20:13
    Very different to mine. I'm laid up on the coach, 2 metal plates removed from my fib/tib on Friday after I broke my leg in 8 places in Feb '10.</blockquote>

J - good to hear you're working your way back to full health. Considering you did the tib and fib I've decided to call you 'Barlow' from now on :p

@Tibby - sounds like a hell of a weekend... should have filmed it and sold it to one of those extreme travel shows

I took the punt and made my trades Thursday night (local time) in case I missed the 5am wake-up call to check final teams just prior to lockout. Big relief I did as I slept through - my plans for the next 3 weeks would have been shot if I hadn't made those trades!

The weekend saw Supercoach on the backburner as we checked out a Maple Syrup festival at a nearby town - plenty of 'taffy' consumed along with ham drenched in maple syrup, bacon drenched in maple syrup and poutine drizzled with... gravy (just to mix up the diet).

Crazy part is we have to do it all again this weekend - tough job butsomeone's gotta do it ;)

16. TerryinBangkok

Hey easty - I have a few Canadian friends here in Thailand and, while I would like to think your team will win the big one this year, odds are canuck food will kill you before you get to the finals.

Supercoach with mayonnaise and cranberry sauce!

17. TerryinBangkok

@bjaensch

Sorry, my bad - the references to brown paper bags and New Orleans had me thinking you might be floating on the Atchafalaya - quite a distance from JB.

18. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Hey guys, Kiss of Death update for you.

Watson out, Selwood in
    L. Thompson out, Suckling in.

Good luck for the weekend!

Cheers,
    Bill

19. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

How am I supposed to get Suckling now Bill?

20. TerryinBangkok

Two v. juicy trades Bill.