Potential Expat League ~

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Simonoz, Feb 8, 2011.

1. snoz

snoz Moderator

Duplicate post from whats on the main board so apologies for that, but I value the PEL members input so wanted to see what you all thought:

Big decision week for me…to down Sandi or not.

Getting to the point that trades are being counted on my fingers, only need 1-2 more upgrades, solid bench depth but no down in form prems sitting in the pine which I’d like.

Sitting in the low 300′s, far enough away to know I cant give it a shake, but not far enough away to throw the towel in

* Taking Sandi down to either Griff or Vardy gives me enough cash to go bang bang on the final two upgrades and maybe pop pop on 2 down on their form prems for pine warming bye cover. Will leave 5-6 trades left at Rd 15/16.
    ( Have Smith / Tipp – Petrie )

* Have enough cash to straight upgrade one rook thats needed, but then not sure where the moola will come from to complete the other upgrade + the pop pops on the pine. Will have the stability of 8-9 trades left at Rd 15/16 though.

I really think its a coin toss, both have pros & cons, but it will make or break me thinks….

2. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

I think you may have to Snoz.

The 5 top teams have Sandi but only one has the link with Petrie/Tippett so if Sandi doesn't come back before Cox has his bye, there will be some clutch decisions to be made.

With rucks also scoring particularly well this season, taking a zero is a big no.

I wrote in the Sandi forum, my thoughts on my reasoning for doing the trade last week, and the cash generated will have allowed me to finish my team at least a week early and to be honest, with Petrie pumping out the +100 each week now, may not bring him back until the finals.

As Zach continues to make cash, the difference between him and Sandi, currently 180K, is quickly dropping to the point where it may only be 100K needed to pick him back up again but, as you say, you'll have had the cash to finish your team faster than expected.

The only issue I have with what I did was that I couldn't foresee the Sylvia, Buddy, Montags injuries which now have to be covered plus the resting of Swan so I'' have to either take the zeros or do more trades than initially expected.

3. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Greetings for tomorrow Snoz, when you get this.
    Nice win in the 'Spats League BTW.

I don't have a Sandi problem, as I don't have Sandi. But I do have a Ryder problem. Have decided to run with Z. until at least finals and to turn Ryder into Vardy. Popped the q on Vardy during the weekend's chat and general opinion was JS is good with lingering doubts over Mooney + Vardy doing a turn in the ruck allows Ottens to go forward and kick 5. So, perhaps this + the observations from J. above may help your decision. I have been monitoring Jo and a few other top teams and many seem to have cashed Sandi in and gone big in the middle. Those that chose Ablett did well, while those who chose Boyd are hurting.

My only suggestion would be; if you cut Sandi loose, make it permanent, at least until finals and make up for the marginal loss of points in the mids.

And how about Neil! Knocking over his mentor - way to go and everyone start looking over your shoulder.

4. TerryinBangkok

Okay, gone back and read P. 26.

Probably a generational thing, but the Group W Bench is from Alice's Restaurant (Arlo Guthrie), "Been inspected, detected, injected, suspected and rejected...."

Encouraging views on prospects for next year. No reason we can't have ex-expats. "Bush league" like it a lot. If all of us in the bottom half can eek out another 50 points per game that should get us in the top 20. And you blokes up in the clouds there with your 2400+ - keep doing it.

And you ST holders - relax, he'll be back. I did say steer clear of him R11 for Cap. and mentioned the possibility of Sloane stealing a few points!

5. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Bill, although I dismissed your KOD of Hodge and picked him last week, the other option I was considering, Boyd, spudded it up even more so I'm hoping Hodge can come out against Piggy and at least tonne up, that's if he gets the tag. Mitchell has been pretty good this year so maybe Piggy will go to him.

I have a serious amount of outs this week coming up so would appreciate it if you could let us all know your KOD so I can put a pencil line through them.

One DEF and one FWD please

6. TerryinBangkok

Just noticed I bettered the donors team by 2 points. A few rounds back Lucas pipped them by 1. Ships in the night perhaps?

Watched the earlier Hawks/Cats last night. The Mayor of Geelong wore Hodgey like a glove. Under Bomber he was allowed to pick his own opponents - don't know if that still holds. In the earlier game Hodge spent more time in the back half.

7. snoz

snoz Moderator

Just bumping the thread cos I'm selfish like that and want the PEL on the 1st page :)

8. snoz

snoz Moderator

I guess there was no need to bump as 5 mins later who knew, I had something to say....

Leaning Griff over Vardy for the Sandi dump, if of course I go ahead with it. Not having the Freo bye to contend with in Rd 16 would be nice, but whereas I dont think I could ever start Vardy, I'd have no prob running Griff out there, even moreso than Smith probably over the next 2-3 weeks whilst 211 is out.

Then it becomes mute, will probably be a Smith/Griff in 15 and Cox/Smith in 16...then a couple of weeks to figure out how to get Sandi back in.

My last Def upgrade looks like Scotland/Fisher...leaning Fish after his bye. But down fwd....damn, aint much there....dont have Pav so I guess he is the logical choice and extremely cookie cutter...but Goodes kills ROK, Fyfe's shoulder pops out each week and then theres......bloody nada down there.

9. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

personally, i prefer Griffin over Vardy, but thats just cause i like Griffin as a player - always have.

i reckon you prob cant go past Pav up forward... but ROK/Goodes are extremely tempting. ROK would be my choice out of the two. been more consistent so far.

10. anthak

TIBby, i didnt notice Neil beat me!

Well done Neil mate, close game! I lost this one by 27 points, and lost my cash league by 3 points... crap week! copped a zero with buddy missing, and had the c on Judd who was close to my lowest scoring mid (had 11 more than Boyd)!

@Snoz, i have a similar decision to make as you.

I dont have cox, and its killing me - week in week out!

Still got Sandi.

I have $167k in the bank

choosing what to do out of two options

Sandi to Cox, and Lower to prem (prob Grundy, cause of multi bye and good run in finals)

or

Krakouer to ROK/Goodes (prob ROK) and the Lower to Grundy trade.

what do you all reckon?

11. snoz

snoz Moderator

Anth....it aint even close ~ Sandi Cox hands down mate. I cant say I agree with Grundy but each to his own mate....but this week mate you are all about COX

12. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Agree with Snoz, Ant. The Cox trade will have much greater benefits than, in particular Lower - Grundy. I'm not sure but what is the ppg differential between those 2.

13. anthak

There's not a lot of ppg diff, but lower's time has come. Grundy will hopefully be more consistent than him. And Sydney have a far easier draw from here on in.

Agree that sandi to cox looks better than Krak to ROK, but I'm hesitant on wasting the trades required to trade sandi out and back in.

14. easty01

easty01 New Member

@Snoz - bloody tough call re:Sandi.

Depends on who you're after for the upgrades. I haven't crunched the numbers but I reckon you'd be pretty close if you wanted to do Duigan-Enright and Darling-Chapman. Fisher plus another upgrade (without trading Sandi) = patience required. If you do trade Sandi I'd go Griff over Vardy too

@Ant - you NEED Cox :p

Not having him is costing you big points. What about keeping Sandi with Z.Smith as cover, and turn that giant spud Ryder into Cox instead? Depending on your $$$ reserves it might take a downgrade somewhere else to make it happen.

Ryder-Cox costs you 1 or 2 trades and you'll have the two best rucks - plus the best cover.

Sandi-Cox means you waste trades getting Sandi back in later and have to persist with Ryder stinking up your ruck division in the meantime

15. anthak

Yeah, thinking along those lines too mate. Mainly cause if went sandi to cox, I would prob play smith over Ryder anyway! Lol

But Ryder is at least playing, so makes more sense to get rid off sandi. Then I could always trade Ryder back to sandi after he has returned. It is a waste of trades in a way, but I'm thinking it's prob my best option.

May as well give Krak another week, even though it's really tempting to bring ROK in in time for the game against tigers this week

Anyway, will consider it all still some more. Still a few hours left!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

16. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

This weeks KOD is: Gary Ablett.

I was torn all week about what to do with Sandi. Right up until I made the trade to Vardy, the better looking option always seemed to be Griffen, but in the end greed got me and I went cheap to Vardy and splurged on Ablett instead of Priddis or maybe Murphy.

I came very close to making no trades at all this week. The urge to just sit on Sandi was very strong.

Also regretting not hanging on to Watson for the two weeks he was out....

Good luck this week everyone.

17. TerryinBangkok

Sheeeeeeeeeet bjaensch!
    I've already pushed the button. Oh well, guess everyone else has suffered the KOD and it was just my turn.

Look out for that t-train - faster than a speeding VicRail on me last week and I was no Puffing Billy.

18. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Tibby, I saw t-train's score for last week. I am up a creek without a paddle I think.

Sorry about late notice on the KOD. I really was torn on what to do this week.

cheers,
    Bill

19. TerryinBangkok

Ya never know - GAJ could just be the paddle.

20. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

Just traded in Gilbert for Tapscott. He's had one (poor) kick to half time. Hows that for trade of the week?
    All the talk is Ablett now isn't it? But just cant bring myself to make the tarde. Partly because I ahvent got the money

21. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

Just traded in Gilbert for Tapscott. He's had one (poor) kick to half time. Hows that for trade of the week?
    All the talk is Ablett now isn't it? But just cant bring myself to make the tarde. Partly because I ahvent got the money